DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Archived: General Questions

DarkRider

• 2 months later...

I have been lurking my way through searches and am not finding an answer easily that can halp me figure this out, so am hoping if I ask here it will save me some time and I can just get on with lessons. Sorry if this is a bit thick of me...

From lesson 2:

When the cell loads you’ll see your house interior floating in that now familiar gray void. Click on it once and tap C to swing your camera in alongside your interior, then zoom in with your mouse wheel until you are close enough to work...

This keystroke doesn't work for me... In fact I am finding that there are a couple that don't work for me, as I go along.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of the 'c' keystroke having been remapped to rotating things on the Y axis, specifically havoked items but I am seeing it do this for others as well. At first I thought it should only work for the Y axis rotation if an object is selected and by selecting nothing, (clicking on the grey background of the cell), should keep the "swing alongside" working? But:

Click on one of the tables in the render window, tap C to swing alongside it

And clicking on the grey void doesn't work for me either, regardless... So I'm wondering if the 'swing alongside' command has changed as well in a CK update and the lesson has not been updated with it? And if so, what is the new keystroke? I can't find it in the hotkeys menu... but my 'skim for content' skills are terrible, so I'm very possibly missing it.

The other keystroke I've wondered about is mentioned as different since an update earlier in this thread as well. I haven't tried the new one mentioned yet, but will come ask again if it also doesn't work for me. :)

Edited by Neko

I use the 'T' key, it brings the camera above the "object you have selected". (Top down key)

The 'C' key was changed to an "X axis object movement key", in conjunction with the mouse.

The gray void is nothing, so clicking it does nothing since you cannot interact with it, keystrokes will do nothing either with the void. What is being said is you need to click on an object of your house, not the void.

The object movement keys (Z,X,C) work on ALL objects, not just havoc objects.

• Upvote 1

The center on object key is 'Y', while a handy function, the 'T' key will not give you the same orientation as the lesson. I updated the lessons for the C/Y switch but missed that one, sorry for the confusion. :good:

[EDIT] Lesson 2 has been updated with the proper keys now! Don't forget the common shortcut keys are outlined at the start of lesson 1 for your reference.

• Upvote 1

Thank you WillieSea, but that wasn't really an answer to my question, though I appreciate your time and response. :)

But 'C' really is the Y axis, not X axis. X and Z axes are stil the 'X' and 'Z' keys respectively.

I know you can't interact with the void, but what clicking it does do is de-delect anything you happen to have selected at that time, which is why I assume the Lesson 2 instructions I quoted tell you to click on it. I realize there are other ways to de-select too.

The center on object key is 'Y', while a handy function, the 'T' key will not give you the same orientation as the lesson. I updated the lessons for the C/Y switch but missed that one, sorry for the confusion. :good:

Oh, guh! Y switched with C. :doh:

Thinking about it now, I knew that too. Ran into it when I tried to use Y and had a WTH moment. I eventually figured out C was Y for some reason but totally wrote off what Y did that made me blink to begin with. Brillant. :lmao:

Thank you!

I hate to double-post, but since this is a wholly new and different question I wanted to distinguish it from my earlier reply. Also, I realize this is probably another thick question, so my apologies.

It's stated that we shouldn't move an item from a cell into a different cell when working in the great outdoors worldspace, (at least not without renaming the affected cell along with the one we're modding), as the game remembers what items belong in each cell, and doing so can create conflicts.

So, what if we want to move an object that already spans your cell and another, or perhaps 2 other cells? Not move it enough to remove it from any of the ones it spans, and not enough to remove it from the cell I'm modding either, but moving it just enough to give a little more room in the section of the cell I'm working in that it crosses... Will it be OK if it's still in all the cells it originally occupied, but just a slightly different position? Or do I still need to rename those other cells so for now I shouldn't touch it?

Thanks!

If it touches multiple cells and you move it then you change those other cells so you will want to name them too. The purpose of naming the cells is to identify intentional changes from accidental changes. This way when you or a user clean the mod or look for conflicts you know the changes to those neighboring cells were by design :good:

You don't want to move objects from one cell into another because the object records get attached to the original cell and you can get errors. As long as the object is still touching the original cell it should be fine :yes:

• Upvote 1

If it touches multiple cells and you move it then you change those other cells so you will want to name them too...

...As long as the object is still touching the original cell it should be fine :yes:

I'm really sorry DR, but I must be stuck on ultra-slow today. I'm not sure how to interpret these two statements against what I just did.

Since I moved a rock that spanned 3 cells to a position slightly back, but still touching all 3 cells, and no other new cells, do I need to now rename the other two cells? Or because it's still in all 3 and only those original 3, but in a very slightly different position, will it be fine without renaming the other two?

I guess I just should rename them to be thorough and safe...

Any change in those two cells that you want to keep no matter how small, you should rename/claim the cell. Otherwise another modder working on a patch or a user cleaning dirty edits will think that move was accidental and revert/undo it. Or you yourself may forget you changed them on purpose and clean them. :good:

• Upvote 1

Even if an object is touching 'three cells', it is still only on record in 'one' cell. The cell of record will be determined by the 'center of the mesh'. This is usually shown as a + marker on the object when you have it selected.

Also, if you click on the object, the cell it is on record for should load in the cell window.

• Upvote 1

Even if an object is touching 'three cells', it is still only on record in 'one' cell. The cell of record will be determined by the 'center of the mesh'. This is usually shown as a + marker on the object when you have it selected.

Also, if you click on the object, the cell it is on record for should load in the cell window.

That's correct, one object, one cell record. But if it's moved, those other two cells can still be asterisked as changed even if the record isn't attached to them. So, Neko, a good guide would be, look for the asterisk * symbol next to the name of those adjacent wilderness cells. If there is an asterisk, your move changed that cell and should be claimed. If there is no asterisk, that cell was unchanged by the move and does not need to be renamed. :ok:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

i have a bit of a problem, im working on basics 3 but when i paint the no grass texture its still rendering grass where is should not

ingame though its rendering the landscape just as it should i assume this is a problem with the ck or do i have to do something to get the render window to update?

Edit: i suppose the third post in that thread is the solution to this

Edited by nekroskoma

• 2 weeks later...

Im having a real problem with exterior navmeshing. I dont see a way to move all the nodes/triangles out from under my house and around everything without deleting anything. Can anyone share what you did, or give me hint? Thank you in advance!

I recently edited that section in haste to emphasize moving meshes when possible, but I think I've made it more confusing. If the meshes cannot be moved you may delete the individual triangles that are under the house safely. You want to do this sparingly, deleting the entire mesh for that cell would be bad.

I'll cleanup this section in the lesson to be more clear. :)

• 3 weeks later...

You want the delete a vanilla location? That's not advisable.Theoretically, if the location is not tied into a quest you can hide the location by double clicking on every item/kit/creature/marker in that location and flagging them as disabled. Ive found this technique may still cause performance issues.