DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

3D Craftworks: Importing Weapons into Skyrim

• 1 month later...

Great tutorial, this worked perfectly.

I went through this with Helborne's Dwemer Battleaxe, and it was split into three pieces so I had to (successfully) adapt. Initially I strayed from the tutorial to try and put an original weapon in the game rather than use the replacer method, but that's when I figured out the immense importance of the "1stPerson" nifs, and discovering that the CK wouldn't recognize my nif when I named it "1stPersonDwemerBattleaxe". Frustrated, I went back to the replacer just to test it out, and I found that the short style of the Oblivion-era battleaxes caused my char's left hand to grip air, and the blood textures to be floating above the end of my axe's blade (though the blood textures didn't match anyway, since the Dwemer battleaxe I was using and the Steel battleaxe I was replacing are of very different shape).

So, anyway, I have two questions probably beyond the scope of this thread, but

1) Will we be getting a tutorial of how to create brand new "1stPerson" nifs sometime?

2) Will the methods of this tutorial work for really simple armor and clothing as well (ie not requiring mesh edits)? I was hoping to import McMuffin's Colovian Fur Helm resource from Oblivion.

Edited by Fiore1300

Well, I followed the tutorial to the "t" with a Colovian helm and this is the result... http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540675791390576189/09A7F8287020CCE78B900967CC5936F9E458A476/

So, I suppose the best answer is (it mostly works). Let me know what you think is wrong...

2) Not sure, not tried anything rigged yet with Blender, might work if you export the rigged model as a 3DS file instead of an OBJ file.

I'll try that.

Edited by Fiore1300

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Great tutorial, thanks for it.

This method is working on static objects? And what about UVW mapping if I set before? I'll need to re UV the whole mesh?

Yep it works with statics, though collision is a problem there, can also make new clutter items too.

Your UV mapping will be saved and exported correctly.

I tried this method on statics, but failed. Apparently everything is in order within Nifskope, but Ck won't load it. The mesh just a raw object. BSLightingShaderProperty parented, but not BSShaderTextureSet, bcoz it does not have any UVs and textures yet. I just wanted to do geometry tests before texturing them... but this could be the problem? Oblivion allowed to loading up raw meshes, but not sure for Sky...

Edit: After I wrote this, I found an exporter plugin for Maxs which knows Skyrim's format. It really saves a NIF file with version 20.2.0.7, with user version 12 and 83. CK can't recognize them with the same error message in editing Base mode: Marker error. Am I doing something very wrong? :S

Edited by Varlaisaran

I did not use any models without an existing UV map as I am not capable to create one. But this may be the cause of the crashes: Missing TextureSet.

When you know how to do it, create UV map and texture and try this method again.

Edited by Tamira

I did a quick uv mapping to one of them, and failed. CK says the same. 3D Name: Marker:error, 3D Index 0. Another interesing thing. CK Doesn't create the appropriate folder in its library to mesh' source folder, it just placing directly to Static root category.

While I began to write this, I noticed a bug created by the exporter plugin. Altough Sky doesn't need the NiMateralProperty Max left this entry in the NIF. I removed it then Ck accepted the mesh, but it missed a xxx_n.dds file (wtf? that file IS in its place)

I saw my object in the preview window, but almost invisible.

Now comes the tricky part. I tried to reload this object into Skope. It refuses to load as 20.2.0.7 and said that it reverting to 0.5. Anyway, I saved over the mesh, which remained 0.7 (wtf #2).

I tried to grab my object into render window, my beloved CK says "MODELS:Root 3D for reference xxxxx (xxx) is not a Fade Node. This reference cannot be picked." I see the object's placeholder, but no the object itself.

There must be something in the NIF structure I think. This is an interesting issue, I'll post when I figured out something but if you have any idea, just don't keep back:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded Nifskope 1.1.0-rc7 which has been officially released yesterday. Until today I always worked wit rc6 and had no problems importing *.obj files. With Nifskope rc7 I get several error messages when importing an obj. The mesh looks somehow messed up and then Nifskope crashes.

I don't know whether this is only on my computer or if other users experienced the same. I advise to keep rc6 for importing meshes.

RC7 is still slightly bugged according to reports. Stick with RC6 for now.

Varlaisaran, is your root node a Fade node? (it should be). If you post a pic of your mesh in Nifskope maybe someone can see something wrong. (Show the block details of the BSlightingshaderproperty)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

IS --- Is there any way to use NIFs I made for Oblivion, in Skyrim? I haven't attempted this yet, exactly... I opened 2 NifSkope windows and loaded an Oblivion model, but... uh... It's so different from a similar Skyrim model that I'm a little intimidated.

Basically, I hate how everything in Skyrim randomly collides and falls all over the place, so when I want a vase of flowers for a table, I *usually* find a vessel I like, find flowers I like, export them as OBJ, screw around with them in Poser, export the "entire" new thing (Flower, Flower, Vase, e.g.) as a 3DS, then carry on from there.

But, I happen to already have such a flower vase for Oblivion, and I'd like to just use that one for Skyrim. Is it possible? If so, how? Or is the answer to that not within the scope of this tutorial?

Thanks!

Alla

• 3 months later...

This may not be the right thread to ask this but, I seem to be getting an error when I import a .nif into Blender. I am trying to import a vinilla sword and alter it, but I am getting a block error for BSInvMarker. Do you know what that could be?

You need to remove all the blocks from the Skyrim NIf that blender doesn't support, BSInvMarker, bhkCollisionObject, BSLightingShaderProperty. It's also best to remove the BloodEdge nodes too so you don't get duplicated parts on import.

You also need to change the User Versions too - 11, 22, 34

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't I import the .OBJ file? It says there's no NiNode or NiTriShapes selected. ><

Error when I add it to the main node:

Error: 382 invalid index(es) in block # 34 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

Error: 382 invalid index(es) in block # 37 NiTriShapeData.Triangles

I don't even...

Edited by Tigersong