DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Running Skyrim in High Priority -- the easy way.

Porscha

Just a little tip for those who don't know.

• Create a new .txt file
  • Name it anything you prefer.
  • Enter this on one line:

Start "TESV" /high "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\TESV.EXE"

• If need, edit the directory to wherever your game is installed.
  • Save the .txt file as .bat. You may need to go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types if you're on Windows 7. You may checkmark it after you've renamed the file's extension.
  • Done.

From here, you can just run the new batch file and it will run Skyrim as High Priority immediately. This can be good for the people who Alt+Tab and enable this through Task Manager, which is tedious.

Alternately, you can edit the line "high" in the batch file with Notepad, Notepad ++ or equivalent to use other priority settings such as "Above Normal", "Realtime", etc.

Setting Skyrim's priority to High may help iron out some lag and make Skyrim run smoother for some people. As always, the game runs best with minimal applications and services running in the background.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I can make this run with SKSE, since running SKSE only runs TESV.EXE and not the batch file; therefore Skyrim runs in Normal priority when launched from SKSE.

Hope this helps. Will work on other programs, too.

Edited by Porscha

I advise against this unless your computer is really having trouble running the game due to system bottle necking. Lowering graphics settings is advised before doing this.

Setting a process as high priority, you are effectivly telling the computer "This program is more important, give it more of the CPU time then other programs." and for that reason, it can cause other programs to be pushed to the backburner causing some instability and possibly system crashing. A small chance, but its there. It is far safer to reduce the programs demand before you bump up its priority.

Also, your file path is going to be different from person to person. the vast majority of them will be under the steam directory unless you know how to create a system link. My install directory is "K:\skyrim"

Setting a process as high priority, you are effectivly telling the computer "This program is more important, give it more of the CPU time then other programs."

Which is true and indeed possible, but most other programs are already set to Normal and will run fine in the background. Skyrim will get slightly more attention. "Above Normal" is pretty safe. Optimizers such as Game Booster 3 don't change the priorities of processes, but it essentially cuts down its usage of RAM which is required for them to run properly and efficiently. Playing Skyrim is a one-task only thing and when it's Quit time, you're still good. I'd say setting a lot or any system files or programs to High would be a bad thing.

Also, your file path is going to be different from person to person. the vast majority of them will be under the steam directory unless you know how to create a system link. My install directory is "K:\skyrim"

Read much? :girl_razz:

Which is true and indeed possible, but most other programs are already set to Normal and will run fine in the background. Skyrim will get slightly more attention. "Above Normal" is pretty safe. Optimizers such as Game Booster 3 don't change the priorities of processes, but it essentially cuts down its usage of RAM which is required for them to run properly and efficiently. Playing Skyrim is a one-task only thing and when it's Quit time, you're still good. I'd say setting a lot or any system files or programs to High would be a bad thing.

It is still advised to cut program demand before bumping priority.

Read much? :girl_razz:

I'm going to pretend that wasn't there at the time of reading. :cookie:

• 4 weeks later...

I may try this, my system can only run Skyrim on Low, even Middle quality makes it crash. And ofen when i travel a long distance, objects start disapperaing, the road stone textures for instance,..and other things, and i have to make a save, then load the save to get things back. I may try some tweaking but for now, it is a minimal situation. This may help.