DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Cutting a hole in Navimesh?

CrisG9

I am wondering if it is possible in some way to cut a hole in existing navmesh with out having to delete entire areas....

it seems it might work, but i am not sure..and wanted to ask...to lay down a triangle of nodes into existing mesh and have it accepted just as we can place a node on an existing triangle side and divide it....

then if that new placed triangle were active, couldn't we then select it and delete it and have a hole created? or would it just delte an entire area?

i am trying to find ways to create the holes we need for new objects or trees or buildigns without having to move a lot of berticies around and disturb the mesh as much. It gets especialy tricky in some areas and if there were a way to do it non invasively it might make editing and adding new things smoother and more effective. Just wondering. I looked thru the tutorials and did not see any thing that distincly says we CAN cut holes ..but there wasnt anything that said we Cant.

I suppose collsion shapes could be used to do it too, as they do literally "cut" mesh according to the official tutorials from Beth.

Any thoughts on this? I had not used GEKO before so this is a new process for me...and I am trying to study it more.

ok it looks like this may be possible using vertex mode..if so it will be a major speed up and cleaner way to edit mesh...

here are the posts I got on the Beth forum about this and I think my idea may actually work....

from Alex: (Alexander J. Velicky)

Toggle lines with G, then create 4 points along those lines in the shape of a square, for example. Then I believe you can toggle triangles with T, select the triangles within the boundaries of your square, and delete them. Thus creating a hole in your navmesh.

from Tree415

There isn't a tool that you are speaking of, but try using vertex mode and place vertices along the lines of triangles as Alex pointed out, then once you have created a triangle of points simply select two of the points and hit delete.

and more from Alex...

Another tip, incase you make a whole that instead of being a neat square with 4 points, is a total mess with like 10 points; if you select two or more points, and hit Q it will combine them all into one point. As far as I can tell which point it combines too is random if you click+drag select, but if you select just one point then hold control to select more, it merges them all into that first point you selected.

Then you can clean up the hole you made so you dont have a bunch of extra triangles.

i am going to try this tonight..and see..but wanted to share the info in case anyone else wants to try too....in case this helps us all..

Edited by CrisG9

great..thanks so much for that confirmation...it will be a great help in working with the mesh which remains the greatest challenge in the CK by far...i have no idea why it is so complex to edit established mesh but it is a LOT of work to do right and this may help a lot. thanks again.