DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Medieval Cyrodiil

AjaxSt

Alright, none of you know me, I'm not very well-known among the modding community. I usually download mods, not create them, though I do edit them to fit my tastes. I am Ajax, and I plan to bring you what will be the biggest Oblivion mod of all time.

Enough ego-stroking, here's what it actually is. I'm going to be redesigning the game, every aspect of it, as a sort of "realism" mod for a fantasy setting. Unlike other medieval mods that start and fail, I already have the groundwork laid out, at least most of it. Unlike other mods, I am also not removing a core component of Elder Scrolls gameplay: Magic. I've seen other mods try to recreate medieval France, or the Holy Land, and call for the removal of all magic and magical effects. I'm not doing that. I'm crafting a version of Cyrodiil that operation under a modified version of real-world rules, so that it would not be out of place in the High Middle Ages, but it still allows for Argonians and Daedra to exist.

My main focus is to bring historical accuracy to bear in this mod by redesigning the models, props, NPC's and social structure. In the final version Cyrodiil will be double the size, have farms dotting the landscapes, have mines actively mining for Iron, Silver, Gold, and other materials (Glass and Ebony are downplayed, and may be removed entirely as a main element...probably be used for decorations, mostly), and increase the named population for about 1000 to closer to 6600. It will include expanded questlines, new questlines, more factions, more towns, and contain both heavy, dark subject matter and light-hearted, goofy material.

In order to help facilitate this, I am working on a "Pre-pre-alpha" version that adds nothing, but rebalances the gameplay to allow for development for this mod. While I am working on this, however, I am still looking to get started on the main mod itself. I am starting simply with the items that the player can interact with, wearables, weapons, potions, and other misc items that take up invintory space. The first items to be worked with is clothing, weapons, and armor.

Here's where help comes in. I can't model. I've tried, and I do not have the patience for it. I'm looking for people that can help me out with this, as I don't want to just use placeholders indefinately...especially if they're placeholders I don't have yet. The actual number of models needed are small compared to the number of times those models will be seen, but none will be seen if I don't have the tunic models. All I need are the models made, I have references ready for everything, but no one seems to want to help me at TES Nexus, and some have suggested I try here. If anyone wants to try my proof-of-concept .esp, PM me here or on the Nexus, and I'll make sure you get the latest build, but I just need someone willing to model me a shirt, or a pair of pants, or something. Just to get me started.

My current plan for clothing is as follows:

35 different upper-body clothes -- 25 mid-thigh tunics, 5 mid-shin tunics, 3 robes, 2 unique shirts (Most shirts translate to dresses for women)

10 different types of pants -- Tights, Leggings, 3 Trousers, 5 Pants (Separated into different names to allow different styles)

12 different types of footwear -- 7 shoes, 5 boots (None are counted as armor)

10 different "vests" -- 2 vests, 2 jerkins, 3 tabbards, 3 surcoats (Vests go on the Amulet slot)

5 different "Coats" -- 2 coats, 3 cloaks (These go on the Tail slot)

Several different hats -- Haven't nailed these down yet, but I'll be working on getting to them soon.

And each shirt and pair of pants will posses different types:

Lower-class 1 or 2 colors. Made of burlap, wool, or linen.

Middle Class 2 or 3 colors. Made of wool, linen, or cotton.

Upper Class 3 or 4 colors. Made of linen, cotton, or silk.

Noble Class 4 or 5 colors. Made of cotton or silk only.

This means that a single tunic will have 256,630 different versions, for a total of 8,725,456 different upper body variations per gender (Monks only get wool, nine colors [one per Divine}, and four caste patterns). That's a lot of use from 35 models. I'm not asking for anyone to skin them, I can do that, I just need the models, ready to be used in Oblivion.

Weapons also receive an overhaul, as does armor (Heavy armors are now metal armors, and light armors contain only non-metals). These have far fewer variations on the clothing, but and still receiving a heavy redesign. If you wish to learn more about the mod, the other threads I have med discussing it can be found here and here.

If anyone wants to help me with this, PM me on any of these forums linked, and I'll send you anything you need.

I'm looking forward to having people play this! :D It's an ambitious project, to be sure, but, I think, a worthy one.

Here's where help comes in. I can't model. I've tried, and I do not have the patience for it. I'm looking for people that can help me out with this, as I don't want to just use placeholders indefinately...especially if they're placeholders I don't have yet.

I'm hip-deep in my own mod right now, but as an historical reenactor I applaud any effort to offer historically-based mods. :)

I have some inkle loom models, using vanilla Bethesda wood textures and fabric textures of my own making, that I am releasing as a general resource. They are based on a period design, and I have personally built several of them for my wife and for friends IRL, so I know the design actually *works*. My models are planned to go into the next release of the TESA Clutterers' Guild resource, but I'd certainly be willing to share them standalone if they would help.

You should also take a look at the medieval resources by Stroti, Meo, Assassin_456, Lunar Reaper, Momo (and Momo77), Wikinger9048, and washington. These are authors whose work I'm using in my own mod, which attempts to make one fairly-authentic village. Some of these are on TESA, others on Nexus.

Since you don't model yourself, you might also find Gildur's "Sitting Everywhere" resource to be helpful. This is an invisible furniture marker that you can place atop crates, logs, rocks, barrels, or whatever, allowing you to have your NPCs (and the player, if they wish) use any suitable static object as a chair or bed. So, for example, you could have a lower-class setting in which characters sleep in a barn loft on a pile of straw.

Hope this helps! You've set an ambitious goal, but if you can pull it off you will have a very interesting mod that approaches the boundary of total-conversion.

Syscrusher

Thank you very much, Syscrusher. I've taken a look at a couple of the packs on Nexus, haven't downloaded any yet, but I do like the work.

I'll check out the "Sitting Everywhere" resource when I get a chance, still working on balancing the proof-of-concept, so I can build the mod off that. Eventually, though, I will be working with it and the other Modder's Resources to start changing layouts and expanding the world.

AjaxSt.... Contact me by PM if you want me to do a database dump of the specific items I'm using. My mod is large enough that I actually built myself a database to track various aspects of it, and the credits list is one of those items.

Remember the lesson of Bernard of Chartres, from the 12th century CE: We are like dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants. Don't reinvent wheels if you don't have to. :)

Edited by syscrusher

I do not want to have to completely redesign everything. I'm mainly worried about keeping a consistant look and feel for the game. I don't want a table and chair set that looks brand-new and untarnished sitting next to a loom that looks like it's seen 60 years of use. I suppose retexturing that would do wonders, but still. Some things are part of the mesh, rather than the texture.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Expect a simple(er) .esp edit version of the mod to come to the internet within the next few weeks. This version will not add anything to the game, or take anything out, yet. What this version will do is this:

1. Change the carry capacity for the player, so he/she can carry far less than basegame.

2. Change the items recieved in the opening dungeon to provide less jewels and other expensive items.

3. Change weights and costs of almost every item in the game.

4. Change costs of magic spells.

5. Mark all crates in the Imperial City as owned.

6. Increase effectiveness for shields and weapons.

7. Pave the way for future changes to be made.

8. Provide a taste of the direction the mod is going.

9. Offer the chance to provide early-development feedback on prices and weights.

Once this offering is up, I will be looking for feedback and working on Stage 2 of this proof-of-concept edition of the mod, which will modify containers and NPCs.

Once again, modeling positions are open for clothing, weapons, and armor. PM me if you want to help, I'll need it.