DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[sky] Unpacking BSAs (complete newbie question)

Gringo1323

So, I'm completely new to modeling (as in never done it before new) and was going to ask for some help on how to get models from .bsa format into blender. Do I need to unpack the .bsa files, if so how do I do that? Once I get the model can I immediaely see the model in blender? Can you go step by step how to get the files from .bsa into blender? Also, what version of blender can I use to get new meshes into skyrim?

Edited by Gringo1323

If you are completely new to modding, then I STRONGLY suggest you hold off on modeling. For Skyrim specifically, it is a very tedious task and also requires a bit of fiddeling in NifSkope.

I would instead suggest you start with modding basics, using only vanilla assets. Once you are comfortable with that, then you can start with more complex things.

If you are completely new to modding, then I STRONGLY suggest you hold off on modeling. For Skyrim specifically, it is a very tedious task and also requires a bit of fiddeling in NifSkope.

I would instead suggest you start with modding basics, using only vanilla assets. Once you are comfortable with that, then you can start with more complex things.

I'm not completely new to modding (I have made my own house and a few other items similar to what you did in the skyrim basics tutorial although I am still new at it (i have not done anything like scripting). I am completely new to modeling and texturing.

Echo's right it's a bit of a pain but I wouldn't discourage people from trying, learning is always fun :D

What you need to do is unpack the BSA file, using something like BSAopt or Fallout3 Archive Utility (My preferred choice, you can find it on FO3 Nexus). You'll need to download Nifskope and spend a little time learning how it works, doesn't take long to learn the basics.

From there you'll need to open the NIF you want to import, change the view of the Block List window to a list instead of the tree, click the NiHeader node and the top of the list and in the details pane change the user version numbers to: 11, 22, 34 (going down the list). The final step is to remove anything Blender can't import such as the collision and BSLightingShaderProperty.

:smarty:Smarty Says: To change the view - View>Block List>Show Blocks in list

Echo's right it's a bit of a pain but I wouldn't discourage people from trying, learning is always fun :D

What you need to do is unpack the BSA file, using something like BSAopt or Fallout3 Archive Utility (My preferred choice, you can find it on FO3 Nexus). You'll need to download Nifskope and spend a little time learning how it works, doesn't take long to learn the basics.

From there you'll need to open the NIF you want to import, change the view of the Block List window to a list instead of the tree, click the NiHeader node and the top of the list and in the details pane change the user version numbers to: 11, 22, 34 (going down the list). The final step is to remove anything Blender can't import such as the collision and BSLightingShaderProperty.

:smarty:Smarty Says: To change the view - View>Block List>Show Blocks in list

Thanks, sounds like I have my work cut out for me (college of winterhold here I come). Any reason why I can't use the most recent blender? The Nifscope you have linked on this site has a lot of different download options, should i download them all?

Edited by Gringo1323

I wasn't trying to discourage, it just seemd like a mad dash towards modeling/texturing, and that is what I was advising against. If you have already messed with the CK and know its basic functioning, then by all means, continue down the modding path.

Best of luck to you.

I wasn't trying to discourage, it just seemd like a mad dash towards modeling/texturing, and that is what I was advising against. If you have already messed with the CK and know its basic functioning, then by all means, continue down the modding path.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, I've actually been planning the basic meshes and trying to figureout room sections and the such for a while. I'm trying to alter meshes instead of starting from scratch at first, but if I can figure this out, I plan on creating new meshes for a mod in skyrim.