DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Strange SKSE launching bug?

Hookerheels

My Skyrim has been fine for ever. All of a sudden, as of a week ago, my game wouldn't launch. It never gets to the main menu. Ever. I messed around and figured it out.. and its weird. Inside Mydocs/Skyrim, obviously there is Skyrim.ini, SkyrimPrefs.ini and RenderInfo.txt.

What gets weird is. I delete all three. Launch Skyrim via SKSE launcher and Skyrim starts, main menu, music, I can actually play... windowed mode(800x600) and on low settings. Now. launch it via Steam. It creates a new prefs.ini. Now I launch via SKSE, and it won't start. So I launch via Steam.. won't launch. I go back, delete SkyrimPrefs.ini. Launch via SKSE, and it launches.. again in 800x600, low settings.

What the hell could be causing this. Its weird, and in all of my modding days of Skyrim I've never seen this happen. I've searched, but I can't find anything similar to this.. I'm not even sure how to title it to search.. "Skyrim wont launch with a SkyrimPrefs.ini" didn't find anything

No error code btw. Just, insta CTD.

Insta crashes usually tend to be related to missing master files for a esp. Might sound silly - but did you make sure that all data files where active when you tried to start from the regular launcher?

Instead of playing around with a mix of skse and steam i suggest following:

Remove skse and the related dll's in the main skyrim folder and skse subdirectory first. Delete skyrim.ini.skyrimprefs.ini from your .../my games folder. Now start the regular skyrim launcher, get your settings/options right, check that data files are active - launch.

If everything is as you described skyrim should now start with proper settings and should have created a new skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini. You will probably get messages abiut skse isnt running - dont worry. If you can start a new game and actually see something ingame - leave again and first now reinstall skse.

Launching via skse should  now work properly again.

Edited by Dwiss