DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

I want to add some hair to skyrim

L3irdy

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I've signed up for countless websites , all of which have been unable to help me which is just ridiculous. All I'm trying to do is add custom hair to skyrim. That's it. I'm usually ignored or someone redirects me to another site. Sorry if i sound frustrated but yeah i kinda am , especially since this has been done before. Lovely hair , Apachii hair , and apachii used converted Ts2 and Ts3 hair. What I'm doing is no different so i ask you , does anyone know how to import custom hair into skyrim???

Welcome to the Alliance :wave:

What steps have you already made? Like have you modeled new hair? What 3D program are you exporting from? Do you already know how to create new objects of any kind in the CK?

A bit more info on where you’re coming from will help folks help you :good:

11 hours ago, L3irdy said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I've signed up for countless websites , all of which have been unable to help me which is just ridiculous. All I'm trying to do is add custom hair to skyrim. That's it. I'm usually ignored or someone redirects me to another site. Sorry if i sound frustrated but yeah i kinda am , especially since this has been done before. Lovely hair , Apachii hair , and apachii used converted Ts2 and Ts3 hair. What I'm doing is no different so i ask you , does anyone know how to import custom hair into skyrim???

Welcome to TES Alliance! :)

Uh, did you ask the authors of the mods your mention how they made them?

As for myself, I'm a complete idiot regarding anything model related...

10 hours ago, DarkRider said:

Welcome to the Alliance :wave:

What steps have you already made? Like have you modeled new hair? What 3D program are you exporting from? Do you already know how to create new objects of any kind in the CK?

A bit more info on where you’re coming from will help folks help you :good:

I'm kinda doing what apachii did and just porting already existing hairs into Skyrim. Or at least I'm trying to. No i don't create the hair , i just port it :) . I've already converted the hair I've decided to use to .obj files and i usually use blender. 

3 hours ago, RabidGears said:

Is it just for personal use? Because if you were planning to upload it somewhere then you need to get permission from the original owners.

Yes it is actually. I have no real intention of releasing this mod for that exact reason. I'd have to contact around 30 different developers. 

12 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Welcome to TES Alliance! :)

Uh, did you ask the authors of the mods your mention how they made them?

As for myself, I'm a complete idiot regarding anything model related...

Yes and to no surprise they never responded. 

12 hours ago, L3irdy said:

Yes and to no surprise they never responded. 

Ah, exactly the kind of modders that give us bad reputation... :(

In the meantime, instead of waiting for modders to give you permission to "port" their mods, you can still teach yourself into making them. I've found tutorials, they may help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVrgw4qqYLQ

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/506934-how-to-make-a-hair-for-skyrim-using-3ds-max/

Edited by Hanaisse
Edited to remove link to adult site.

The process for making hair for Skyrim is pretty much the same as the process for making armor.

You'll need to know the basics of using the Creation Kit. You didn't mention if you knew how to use it or not. If you don't know how to use it then start with the tutorials here: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/114-creation-kit-basics/

You need Blender 2.49. Set it up according to the instructions on this page:
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender

(You might be able to do it with the most recent Blender, but if you want to use the method that definitely works, then use Blender 2.49.)

You need NifSkope
https://github.com/niftools/nifskope/releases

You can follow Hana's armor tutorial to learn the process for making armor.
http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-creating-skyrim-armor-in-blender-tutorial-series/

- When it mentions assigning skin partitions (or dismemberment partitions), use BP_HEAD for parts of the hair that disappear when you equip a hat or helmet, then change it to SBP_131_HAIR in NifSkope, and use BP_HEAD2 for parts of the hair that stay visible when you equip a hat or helmet, then change it to SBP_141_LONGHAIR in NifSkope. Most mods just use SBP_131_HAIR, which makes your character look bald when you equip a helmet. It's probably best to do it like that for now, until you get more experience.

- When rigging, if you made the hair at head height, like the way most mods do it, then use the skeleton from a mod. If you made the hair at ground level, like the way vanilla hairs are made, then use the skeleton from a vanilla hair to rig it.

- When editing the NIF in NifSkope, copy the settings from a vanilla hair or a mod hair instead of an armor.

- You add the hair in the Creation Kit by creating a new head part in "Character/Headpart/female/Head Part" for females or "Character/Headpart/male/Head Part" for males. Look at the settings from one of the the other hairs as an example (E.g. HairFemaleNord01). Here's what you need to set:

1. Give it a unique name and ID.
  2. Make sure that "Playable" is ticked.
  3. Select the gender that the hair is for.
  4. Set "Type" to "Hair"
  5. Under "Model" select the NIF file for the hair.
  6. Leave the "Tri" field blank for now. You don't need it (I'll say more about this later).
  7. You don't need anything under "Extra Parts". This is used if you have multiple meshes that you want to combine into one hair. You probably only have one, so you don't need to put anything here.
  8. Set "ValidRaces" to the desired race. The standard for humans is "HeadPartsHumansandVampires" (Warning: NOT "HeadPartsHumanoidVampires")
  9. That's all you need to set.
  10. Click "OK" to create your new hair record.

Don't bother making TRIs for now. You don't absolutely need to have them. A few of the tutorials I've seen mention using The Corformulator for generating a TRI. This process does not work, because it creates an Oblivion hair TRI file which has different morph names to a Skyrim hair TRI (and is also used for a different purpose). The hair will work perfectly fine without a TRI.

Edited by RabidGears