DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Oblivion modding for Morrowind modder

Wolf64

Hey there,

so I'm new here and I'm starting to learn how to create mods for Oblivion primarily using the help provided by the cs.elderscrolls.com site and the tutorials here on TES Alliance. I've been modding Morrowind for roughly a year now and I know all the basics of how to work with the CS etc. I also studied Ghan Buri Ghan's Morrowind Scripting for Dummies a lot to get a more detailed understanding on how everything works together in Morrowind.

Now I would like to know if there is any kind of article or tutorial especially for Morrowind modders who'd like to start modding Oblivion. Like to have a brief overview of differences or difficulties that come up with the new CS and how Oblivion handles things in comparison to Morrowind. 

Another thing I'd like to find would be like a similar guide like Ghan Buri Ghan's for Oblivion, providing in depth information about scripting in Oblivion, showing common pitfalls, workarounds and that sort of stuff. I mean I always want to throw myself into work and get things done in the CS but I'd prefer to avoid critical issues in the first place. :D 

17 hours ago, Wolf64 said:

I'm new here and I'm starting to learn how to create mods for Oblivion primarily using the help provided by the cs.elderscrolls.com site and the tutorials here on TES Alliance.

You started at the right places, now if you want to learn more there's only one thing you must do: study how the dev themselves made the game: study the quests, their scripts, how they use packages and so on.

For the day you'll ask about modding Skyrim: do the same! :P

Well, of course, that I wanted to do in case, since this was something I didn't pay much attention to when modding Morrowind and that got me in lots of trouble at first. :D

So I suppose there's no such guide from Oblivion to Skyrim either, eh? :D What a pity, I think that would speed up learning for those who already have experiences with previous installments. Personally, I find it quite annoying to start over with a beginners tutorial and skipping a lot of very basic things like CS navigation or "what are scripts" etc, because often you just can't skip it directly as they may be some little details which are just different from the previous CS you'd need to know... Or maybe I'm just a bit too impatient. :whistling:

4 hours ago, Wolf64 said:

I think that would speed up learning for those who already have experiences with previous installments.

Actually, people who are experience in modding for the previous games do not find modding Skyrim so difficult and there is a complete web site dedicated to the Creation Kit: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

34 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Actually, people who are experience in modding for the previous games do not find modding Skyrim so difficult...

Hm, I thought this Papyrus scripting makes things a lot more complicated since it handles things in a whole different way than Oblivion. At least that's what I heard.