DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Why is there no good tutorials on how to make your own custom mods for Skyrim?

Fungie

I feel like I've looked everywhere and I'm still lost. I've been trying to make my own armor mods for Skyrim and have looked around and I can't seem to find not one good tutorial for it. If anyone has any suggestions or links I would be happy to look through them

I find it hard to believe that there are not any good mod tutorials for making armor.

However, assuming you have searched with correct search terms and read various FAQs, tutorials, maybe the modders have not encountered your needs.

I can't break down armor mods since I have no experience, however,  maybe you can ask people who have made armor mods on this site, or maybe on Nexus, Steam.

They might take the time or point you to the right direction.

Be sure to ask them the BASE components of making armor and what is required to import all the pieces of the armor you like.

Also, I believe there are some good  tutorial about importing items into your mod.

• 4 months later...

There's also the one on this site:

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-creating-skyrim-armor-in-blender-tutorial-series/

Both of those tutorials have been around for many years and show up on the first page of the google search "Creating Skyrim Armor". They go over the basics and cover the important details that are specific to Skyrim, such as importing/exporting and using NifSkope and the CreationKit. There's probably many more tutorials around on Youtube that cover it too.

The rest of the process (ie creating the meshes, etc.) is just generic 3D stuff that you can learn from any of the thousands of tutorials for Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush, etc. You don't need special tutorials made for Skyrim to learn it.

Youtube and the polycount.com forums and wiki are very good sources of information for 3D stuff.

Edited by RabidGears

I have 323 amazing tutorials on YouTube... in my library lovingly titled: 'CK Learn'n' that show how to do just about everything imaginable in the CK.  But, if you're looking for one single tutorial that teaches everything all at once, it doesn't exist.  There's just too much to be learned, and if it's anything like tattooing; the learning process will never end.  It's not gonna be an immediate process no matter how ready to learn everything in one night ya might be. I've been watching tutorials for months, and it's far more involved than even I realized in the beginning. I'm still repeatedly watching the Bethesda Creation Kit Tutorial Series on a loop until I can use every feature/tool/control as well as those who are in the tutorials themselves.  I watch others in-between and practice in either PdN or Notepad++ at least once a day, but, I still have it on loop playing on my tv or laptop.  And those vids by Betheasda make up just a handful of introductory tutorials available. 

Take it from this (id-git) when I say that jumping in without so much as a healthy knowledge on how to use the CK controls at a minimum, will only serve up some major issues faster than White Castle Drive-Thru gets lazy on a Monday midnight shift.... no joke.  [I'm finally Charlie Sheen'n over here... and WINNING my battle after 3.5 months of struggling] I'm no expert by far but I'm an expert in fudging up crap 'cuz my "special" brain wants to rush things all the time!

So from that perspective, I feel confident that I can say this without looking like a know-it-all minus the 'knowing' part: learn in steps - you'll find more reason to be proud of your creations that way!