DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Kvatch Re-Built - City vanishing

WhoGuru

So, I completed the first few quests of the mod, fantastic btw, then started the Aid for Bruma part of the MQ.  When I returned to Kvatch to get Savlian's obligatory aid, I found the city had vanished and all that's left are the gates, part of a wall and a floating boulder.

I've disabled the mod, loaded and re-saved my save file, re-enabled the mod and the problem was still there.  

I then disabled the mod again and found that, after loading my save without the mod active, Kvatch is still...missing, only now even the city gates were not there.

Here's a screenie of what I saw in game.

http://i45.photobuck...reenShot0-4.jpg

This actually isn't the first bug I've found.  A few days ago, after getting the gardener to go to Kvatch, I returned to the city to find 4 people endlessly walking into the city gates as if they couldn't activate them to enter the city.  In case of interest, their names were Sigrid, Jesan Rilian, Boldon and Ilav Dralgoner.  They vanished as well when the city did.

So I've got it fixed now, using the console code provided in the read-me to uninstall the mod and got some info from one of the mods designers.

The explanation for how it happened is relatively simple:  shortly after the blood on the road quest, the mod disables the destroyed walls of Kvatch and replaces them with it's own.  What happened, is the mod walls became disabled and, because of the mod, the original vanilla walls are gone as well.

Here's how the fix works:

While in-game, and NOT near or in Kvatch, open the console and type- setstage KRUninstall 10

Now exit the console. When prompted answer "yes" to uninstalling the mod. Then save your game and exit. In the data files, disable the Kvatch .esm and .esp. Restart and load your save, answering yes to loading with the missing content. Save again. Now quit, re-enable the .esp and .esm in your datafiles and restart.

Now, here's my question (yes I have one! lol) is it possible a vanilla quest caused the bug to occur?  As the games creators don't seem to know why it sometimes happens.  I think I do.  Follow me here.  While reading their FAQ, I learned that the fourth quest in the mod wont start until you've completed the Kvatch portion of the "Aid for Bruma" quest in the MQ.  So, I went and did the MQ up to that point so I could advance the restoration.

Now, before I did that, I stopped off in Kvatch and it was fine, partially re-built and going well.  After I received the "Aid for Bruma" quest, my game chugged for a second then seemed fine and I returned to Kvatch to get Savlian Matius' aid.

This is when the city vanished.  Is it possible the Aid quest reset the city?  When I entered the floating gates, Kvatch had been reset to it's post-gate destruction.

If this is the source of this uncommon glitch, is it something they could fix?

Vanilla quests would not enable or disable the city statics. (walls and stuff) This is because there would be no reason, since they are never disabled in the first place.

But, depending on the mods quests edited, and the new quests and conditions on them, things can go haywire if done in the improper sequence. Something could be disabled/enabled correctly in a later stage, then when the other quest which should have been done first is completed, it could undo the other quests work.

I don't use mods that try to do to much. I like playing games that don't crash all the time, or cause problems with gameplay. I play so little, I like the experience to be a good one.

Exactly, see, the Kvatch mod disables the destroyed walls of Kvatch after the third quest and replaces them so, when the new walls glitched, the old ones couldn't reappear to replace them.

The console code to uninstall the mod re-enables the vanilla walls.

I'm hoping it wont happen again as I made sure to complete the Kvatch portion of Aid for Bruma before re-enabling the mod.  So far so good.  aa_biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

glad you solved the problem, that is a nice mod... eventhough its incompatible with the vault in kwatch since it builds over it destroying the entrance  :blush:  (i love the vaults, allways so fun to blackjack the guards, or take their armors so they think im their buddy  :bagged: )

glad you solved the problem, that is a nice mod... eventhough its incompatible with the vault in kwatch since it builds over it destroying the entrance  :rofl:  (i love the vaults, allways so fun to blackjack the guards, or take their armors so they think im their buddy  :bagged: )

Oooo you mean the Vaults of Cyrodiil mod?  Crap.  That was on my list.  Well, cross it off.  I prefer a rebuilt Kvatch.   :blush:

I've started a new character recently and am going to leave Rebuilt unchecked until after I've finished the Main Quest in order to completely avoid any possible bugs.  Better safe than sorry.  lol

Maybe you could contact the creator on a KR patch? Maybe there already is one.

I can surely say this Vault mod interests me.

I always say, you'll never get something without asking.

Proved true with Dragonfire Castle.

I asked Bethesda.

It came out a few weeks later.

Maybe you could contact the creator on a KR patch? Maybe there already is one.I can surely say this Vault mod interests me.I always say, you'll never get something without asking.Proved true with Dragonfire Castle.I asked Bethesda.It came out a few weeks later.

Now that is a good idea.  I may do that at some point.  Thanks!   :bagged:

• 3 weeks later...

As far as something like Kvatch disappearing like that goes, I have found that the more mods I have running the more likely it is that something completely wierd and unpredicitable will happen.  I had just gotten my new main character through the main quest and part of verona house bloodlines, then went up to minicyrodiil and started exploring the basement.  That save crashes the game every time I try to load it.

However, when I run one of my testing characters through that basement, it works fine.  No crashing, no glitches or anything.