DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Finally. New build.

HeyYou

Well, my old AMD powered PC finally died. It just wouldn't turn on one morning. Took it in to work, played with it for a bit, and determined either the system board, or the processor had failed. Given their age, (around 8 years......) figured it was a good time for an upgrade. So, went shopping. :) Ended up with an Intel i7 9700KF. 8 core processor, no hyperthreading, and no integrated on-chip video. 16 gig of RAM, and an ASUS ROG Strix B360F mainboard, with a noctua cooler. (it's huge....) As the board has two M2 slots, got a 500 gb M2 drive for the O/S. Installing windows 10 on it was an ordeal. I simply could not convince it to work. Think I needed a specific driver the the NVME drive..... So, just plugged in a 160gb SATA mechanical drive, installed windows to that, and then cloned it to the M2. (adjusting partition size as needed.) Worked perfectly. (I re-used my GTX 1060 6gb vid card.)

The new machine Runs FO4 on super dooper ultra smooth as glass. Much better than the old build. (of course, it's significantly newer hardware, so, not really a surprise.) The machine is pretty much silent. Even when under heavy load, I don't hear the CPU fan.

Haven't tried Skyrim yet, that will likely happen this weekend though.

Overall, I am impressed with the performance, and how quiet it now is. Just hope it lasts as long as the previous machine did. :D

950.00 american dollars. Not an inexpensive proposition. :) Processor itself was over 400, and, they charged me tax....... which really surprised me. No idea when that started happening. I have never paid tax on an internet order before.......

So, not cheap, but, I expect it to last me several years. I knew it was coming anyway, as my machine was getting pretty long in the tooth, and I had specced out a couple other complete builds.... (basically building a whole new machine, and not re-using anything.....) but, that was going to be over 2 grand....... and I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much.

One thing that did annoy me though, was my system board shipped from Hong Kong.... and the manual was in Chinese...... no english in there at all. Made setup a bit more interesting. :D

I had to give up or sideline my old AMD system too and moved mostly onto a Alieneware Windows 10 set up with a big screen it has been finally possible to run Skyrim with all of the bells and whistles and 10 turned out to be not as bad as i feared. Glad your nifty new system is working well for you.

10 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Not that expensive in fact. Is it a desktop or a laptop? My laptop is two year old, cost me more and is less performant than your new build.

Desktop. Most laptops are not that customizable. :D And if they add "Gaming" to the model name of the laptop, the price essentially triples. :D

9 hours ago, CrisG9 said:

I had to give up or sideline my old AMD system too and moved mostly onto a Alieneware Windows 10 set up with a big screen it has been finally possible to run Skyrim with all of the bells and whistles and 10 turned out to be not as bad as i feared. Glad your nifty new system is working well for you.

Yeah, I didn't want to go to windows 10, but, that would have limited me to 6th gen intel processors, if I wanted to stick with win 7. I don't mind 10, I deal with it every day at work..... so, I know a lot of the tricks to make it run the way I want it to. Mostly..... :D

yep my tech helped me by bypassing the silly tile system and gave me the same old desk top I had before and the rest of things are back to what I like. it runs everything like a dream and the 1080 Nvdia card is a joy for graphics.  I have gotten into a lot of digital modelling and some complex models and large projects so it helps a lot for them. Glad it worked for you too.

Had to update my system here as well a few weeks ago. Things were going down hill so I went with this:

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming 

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core

2 Sticks DDR4 CorsairCMK32GX4M2B3000C15 - total memory 32 gigs

Cooling with Corsair H115i Platinum Water cooler with Dual fans on radiator.

Upgraded to Win10 as well. Figured I was going to have to do this sooner or later and I had been putting it off.

Cooling system was bought a few months earlier when I was trying to trouble shoot heat related issues with the older board.

Total cost of the upgrade was about $850

Very pleased with everything. Running Elder Scrolls Online in Ultra mode with no issues. Oblivion looks great as well. Not ever going to see Skyrim on my system again so no data on that.

Edit - Forgot that I used a previous 1TB SSD as well for booting Windows and running games.. With 3 1TB mechanical drives too. ( Backup Drives)

Also use my previous Graphics card - ASUS Radeon RX590 w/8 gigs VDRAM

Edited by Arion
Forgot to add info.