DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Trying to edit a mesh

Fiora

I am attempting to edit a skyrim mesh, I open the mesh in nifskope export it as obj and open it in blender. I edit the mesh then export it as obj open it in nifskope but when I try to save it as a nif file so I can open it in creation kit it says block 4 Tangents array size mismatch, block 4 Bitangents array size mismatch, block 10 Tangents array size mismatch, block 10 Bitangents array size mismatch. I can view it in nifskope fine I just can save it as a nif file this is the first time I have tried to use blender.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

• 1 month later...

good day to you fellow modder :-) and hail malacath :-) 

the topic is already like one and a half month old, but maybe still unsolved. might help a bit to know what sort of mesh you were working on, i assume its some weapon?

what helps a lot is if you dont only see the nif-file as a source of meshes, theyre also sorta your "smooth road of importing stuff to skyrim". if you worked on a battleaxe, that came from a certain nif-file, lets say iron-battleaxe, and changed it, the smartest thing you can do is to use the exact same nif-file to get the axe back into the game again (iron-battleaxe in this case).

when you use this method, using a nif-file as a base, you shouldnt encounter problems like the one you described. so to run through the same process to ensure we get each other:

i get the two iron-battleaxe-nifs (i need one first-person and one-third-person), i pick one (which doesnt matter much at this point), and export the axe as obj.

now i import the obj in blender, maybe adjust the textures, slap it around a bit, voila, custom iron-battleaxe.

i export the custom-axe from blender as obj.

now i take lets say "1stpersonironbattleaxe", lets say its the one where i had the axe from in the first place.... i open this original file in nifskope, and here, rightclick on the mesh of the (original) battleaxe (important!) and import my obj (contains custom battleaxe), so that the custom battleaxe mesh has "overwritten" the original battleaxe mesh. this is gonna fug up the shaders a bit, you will notice since nifskope now has your custom-mesh where the original-mesh was placed, and at the bottom of the shown nodes on the left side of nifskope, youll notice a single bsshader at the end. this single bsshader was the one from the original battleaxe, and this single thingy is pretty usefull since it contains the original-meshes shader-settings (reflection-color, glossiness, stuff like that). since iron-battleaxes shine all the same i like to relink them to safe work, means, i check my custom-mesh once more, find the shader that got imported alongside the obj, and just replace the one that came along my custom-axe with the original one, this is basically just checking one single line and changing a number, if you do that your shader moves "into the structure of the node", and your custom-shader is now the one at the end (its that one that i erase).

would you need some pictures along this text, or did you figure it out by now, how did it go and what can we do to get your thingy going? if im right then i solved your problem, you dont open your custom-objs in nifskope, you only import them into existing nifs (so replace mesh in nif-file with own custom-mesh).