DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Skyrim Mod Managers

Lissy

So i finally decided to pick up my skyrim modding again after being over in eso and a bit of Oblivion. When i started going through some tutorial videos for a refresher, I noticed that Nexus Mod Manager seems to have been replaced by Vortex. It seems to be available for download still. I have read conflicting things in varying comments sections of vortex videos. some say its awesome. Others say its not good. Then others say Mod Organizer 2 is better. I am unsure of what to use now and was looking for some input. 

When I was using NMM i would use LOOT and whatnot to get the load order and i believe it would tell me of conflicts? I also plan to make a couple personal mods for myself and will probably need to extract BSA's so is there a way to restore the folder to play-ready (mod manager installed and whatnot) without having to use a fresh install backup and redo and ini changes?

Stand by for even MORE conflicting opinions.  Here is mime. 

First, i have dropped OldRim from my playlist and mod list.  If that is an issue, stop reading now as the rest is base on SSE. 

My load order is fairly simple.  I have the UOP and precious few mods, then about a dozen or so of my own in varying degrees of development. 

I use NMM.  It is available here (https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases), and in spite of a few stumbles early on, the folks there seem to have gotten their poop in a group. 

As I said, my list is short and simple, so I just fire up Xedit to look for conflicts and to make LO decisions. 

I also use NMM for all my other Bethesda games, and I have had no problems with it.

There, one opinion down.

I am going to second the Swan's opinion. I use NMM, and like it better than the other tools. I don't care for the design philosophy of Vortex, and I have never used MO2...... NMM does what I need it to, and I am familiar with it, so, I just stick with it.

Oh ya I guess i should have clarified that this was intended for "oldrim" mostly because some of the mods i want to use arent available in SE version. i have read some comments in places about NMM crashing a lot or something? this was never the case when i was last modding skyrim but i think that was like....almost 3 years ago. 

I had issues with earlier versions of NMM, to the point that I just uninstalled it, and installed everything manually. But, that was quite a few years ago... The latest iterations are stable, useful, work the way they are supposed to, for the most part.... and haven't cause me any problems. Its also still being worked on...... So, I am going to stick with it for the foreseeable future. I use it for both Oldrim, and Fallout 4.

Did nexus mod manager change the layout of its UI or something? I dont recall it looking like this. maybe it wasnt Nexus Mod Manager that i previously used?

I think I actually used mod organizer 1 or 2 so I may go with that. 

Edited by Lissy