DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Generic Dialog for Custom NPC

Wolf64

Hi there,

I'm creating a character that's supposed to be "fully integrated" into the world of Oblivion, e.g. being able to do all the things other NPCs are doing as well, like random dialog and such.

My NPC is fully voiced (I got the voice files) but I'm facing issues with implementing all their dialog just for themselves. It's not a custom race (they're Breton) so in general they share generic dialog with all other Bretons. So many lines in random NPC chatter are mixed up, which is what I want to avoid.

I've created a quest that only contains this character's generic lines and gave it a priority of 10, which is higher than the standard Generic quest (prio. 5).

Is there any way to block off all vanilla generic lines? I've read this:

https://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Removing_default_dialog_tutorial

But that's not a good one in terms of compatibility, as any other mod could potentially override changes to the Generic quest conditions which I would need to do. So, is there a better way to implement this?

Edited by Wolf64

Sounds like you’re on the right track. To keep generic NPCs from using your custom lines you can add a condition check (I believe it’s GetIsID) to every line and making it check for your NPC’s ID to use the line.

As long as you give your NPC dialogue for every situation (ie Greetings, Goodbyes, Etc) he/she should prioritize your custom dialogue then and not use the generic :good:

Thanks for the reply! Well I already check for my NPC's ID, that's why I'm confused as to why it doesn't seem to work.

I haven't implemented all dialog necessary yet, but testing a few it already shows the issue. Just take the GREETING for random NPC chatter. These lines are implemented with conditions to my NPC only, yet still it seems to fall through to the default generic Breton voice lines. Is there maybe something else I'm missing?

The GREETING and GOODBYE seem to work just for the player, as approaching my NPC, initiating and leaving dialog trigger the right responses. And afaik the GREETING and GOODBYE topics from the "Conversation" tab are being used for both player and other NPC interaction.

Edited by Wolf64

Couple things to try, first make sure your dialogue quest priority is set fairly high. i set mine around 80. Second, the generic dialogue is all conditioned by race, so the solution that worked well for my stubborn NPCs was to duplicate the Breton race, making a custom Breton race and assign that to my NPCs. Then they don't qualify to use any generic race based dialogue but they look the same, have the same features as the default bretons. :idea: