DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

I have a question about xmarkers, too..

Vaisellias

K.. trying again. :)

I read a topic here about xmarkers.. and it made me wonder about what I'm working on.

Basically, I'm making a mod with a "new" race (just copy of dunmer w/ different name and attributes, etc.) , new class, and new faction for the race. I've made two NPC's which belong to the race, and I'm working on a quest involving your usual "go get this, take it to her, then do this.." type of thing.

I'm having two seperate issues at the moment:

1. When I created the dialogue, I was sure to filter it through "getisid (NPC one) == 1" for example, in addition to filtering through quest stages to be sure it was said at the right time. Despite these flags, though, with certain greetings, both of the new NPC's have the dialogue available.

I thought maybe I should add another flag "getisid (NPC two) == 0 or maybe != 1".. but I don't see this anywhere in the Vanilla dialogue, and it seems redundant to me. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. None of the other NPC's are getting my added dialogue.

2. I'm trying to make the journal update according to location. I tried "getincell", "getinworldspace" and neither of these seem to work. I also tried "getinsamecell" with a reference to one of the NPC's, and that didn't seem to work. Would I be able to use xmarkers for this? And if so, would I be able to use the "getinsamecell" flag and point it to the xmarker w/ the target command? (Where you pick target in render window).

Thanks in advance!

You don't add dialogue through the filtered dialogue window at all. All dialogue is entered under the topics tab of the quest. Is that where you meant?

Using a location ref to move a quest stage can be ubreliable. Interiors are lisghtly easier, exteriors though, hit an miss. Is there another way you could update your quest stage? Speaking to a character? Addingan item to your inventory?

If not, I can try to help you set up the location ref.  aa_biggrin.gif

Yeah I guess it opens the same window when you click the dialoge button.. that's what I meant.

I tried doing it through a book I made. The book teaches the player a spell which is needed for the quest.. I tried using "getisuseditem" getisgetgeget I think it is, I also tried "getitemcount" I think it's called.. and neither of them updated the journal (with the command in dialoge SetStage).

Okay for the dialogue issue, can you take a screenshot of the Topics window where you added the dialogue. Just press print screen, then open Paint and hit ctrl+v to paste the image. Save and post it! If I can see that screen I might be able to see where the issue is. Also, can you take a screenshot of the Quest Data screen for your quest?

Now to the stage updates. You can use things like getdistance in a script to update a quest stage, but xmarkers can't help with this since they cannot hold a script. I updated a quest once by putting the getdistance script on a horse, so when the player got close enough to the horse, the quest updated. You could, in theory anyway, put a similar script on an activator object near those location. Using a script like this

scn QuestUpdateScriptbegin gamemode	if getstage questname == stage# && getdistance player 

I havent tested this though so you'll hav eto try it and see how it goes.

You don't want to use quest stages for the sole purpose of delivering information. Reason? Most players don't read the journal. Only update when specific events happen and use dialogue or notes to deliver information.

For whatever reason, my laptop is not accepting my LAN tonight. I'll just type it in as coherently as possible:

Dialogue looks like this:

Under GREETING:

Topic Text: GREETING

Response Text:  "I wonder if I might talk to you for a moment, about this whole situation?"

Add Topics   JRWLSituation01

Choice           JRWLSituation01

Result Script          ;Choice JRWLSituation01

SetStage JRWL01 10

Conditions:

no  GetStage  JRWL01 == 5

no GetIsID JRAntonio01 == 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Quest Data page for this quest:

Quest Name     JRWL01

Priority              60

Script               None

Start Game enabled- checked (others not checked, as I don't rely on repeated topic)

Edit- repeated stages is checked. Just not repeated topics

Quest Conditions:

no     GetIsPlayableRace   NONE    ==    1     AND

Then from the final stage of this particular quest, I checked "completes quest" and put in the Result Script :    SetStage (My next quest) 10, to start that one. That part works in testing. I just haven't got the journal updates working properly in between. (Will try activators)

Remove the topic from the AddTopics box. You don;t need to use that and with the GREETING it is known to casue issues. Use the AddChoices box instead.

Remove this result script ;Choice JRWLSituation01  it's uneccessary

And, use the setstage result script only in the line you want the stage to update after.

Your Topics setup should look like this:

http://i244.photobuc...der/Example.jpg

Try those things and see how it does.  aa_biggrin.gif

Ok for the activator, does it matter if it is visible in game (in the playable area) or can I put it in the void?

Hmm....if you put it in the void you might have to increae the radius to 5000 instead of 3000 (in the script). It's experimental anyway, so why not go for it.

Hmm.. I noticed that there are multiple voice files saved to the dialogue in my Data/Voice folder. That is probably because I initially was trying to create silent placeholders in the editor, then I later used Tes4Gecko to generate the silent mp3's. I'm going to delete the folder and generate them again and see if that clears it up.

Grr Edit I meant the correct folder Data/ sound/ voice.. I need to sleep more often lol.

Ok.. Doing that now.. then will try activator. Out of curiosity, is there a plain example of how Bethesda does it in some quest I could look at? Or don't they use activators for that purpose?

I got the dialogue straightened out.. at least it seems so. They are saying what they are supposed to say.. I'll still do what you said. I suspected as much with the choice in the result box, but when I was looking through Vanilla quests I saw it sometimes, so I wasn't sure.. :)

Ok.. Doing that now.. then will try activator. Out of curiosity, is there a plain example of how Bethesda does it in some quest I could look at? Or don't they use activators for that purpose?

Beth devs use creatures or NPCs like I described befoore. And example of the in the Weynon Priory Shpeherd Eronor. He carries a script to update the quest stage when the player is in range. Using an activator object might not work, it's experimental.

Let me know how it works out!   :)

Ok.. cleaned it up and it saved correctly. Gotcha on the setstage.. I  used it on that topic b/c I wanted the stage to go to 10 without a journal update, it was on stage 5 at the time. Then on stage 10, there is a new topic with getstage == 10 as a condition.  And in the instances where I want the stage to advance after a journal update, I use the journal portion to setstage rather than a dialogue.  Is that correct?

And one more thing with the diallogue.. do I need to use "say once" to make sure it doesn't come up again if it is set to an explicit quest stage, or only if it is set to  

Use it exactly how it seems it should be used, to make a character say it only once. For example, in the screenshot I linked you. This character's line something to the effect of "What brings you to the priory?" She wouldn't ask that the next time she is spoken to because she would have already asked it and would know the answer. Use it on quest related dialogue, it's not something you will use for generic greetings like "Hello" which can be said numerous times!  aa_smile.gif

I'm working with that script now. I decided to try a similar script on the book that I'm placing in the cell, without the GetDistance Player. That didn't work. I also tried several variations of that with the spell I was originally adding to the book. Those didn't work either.

I put the script you gave me on a key right next to the book with a distance < 3000. That didn't work either. :)

Aaah well.. at some point something will work.

At least the dialogue is fixed thanks to your help! :lmao:

Just updating you.. I finally got it!!! Whoo Hoo!!!!

I duplicated a candle activator twice and a hanging chain. I used the following script:

Scriptname (my scn)

Begin Gamemode

if GetStage # Quest <= # && GetDistance Player <= 600

setstage Quest #

endif

endif

end

Begin onactivate

player.addspelll (my spell)

endif

endif

end

Then I just put them up in the various locations and tested.. and yeaaa!! Such a simple thing but it makes me happy.

Thanks again!