DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Tavern Tales: Come on in and Have a Drink! Part III

DarkRider

William led the two down the passage. Red noticed that there was a flash of light in William’s hand, a flaming arrow had appeared there and in his other hand was a mighty bow, the likes of which Red had never seen before.

William outlined the battle plan quietly to the two. He would stand in the middle of the tunnel near the chamber entrance and cast some magic before he started shooting arrows into the remaining Spider Daedra while they waited in hiding to the sides. Any Daedra that made it to the tunnel entrance both Red and Sherena would take care of. If things got fierce, he would join them in hand to hand combat with the Daedra.

Red snickered and asked why he chose that method of attack. William pointed into the chamber for Red to take a look for herself. Red snuck forward a bit and looked over a boulder into the chamber. A slight gasp escaped her lips as goose bumps covered her skin. An itch crawled up her spine and made her shiver. Within the room there were twelve Spider Daedra of varying sizes in three separate groups. Red crawled silently back to the others with the look of horror on her face. She quickly agreed that perhaps William’s battle plan was the best.

Both Red and Sherena moved behind some boulders at the cavern entrance and when they were ready, William stepped out and sent a great bolt of lightning shooting into the nearest group of Daedra. The first one was blasted into the air while the bolt continued arcing from one Daedra to another, burning holes in their black chitin. The electricity paralyzed them temporarily and sent them crashing to the floor. One had been killed outright while three others were badly damaged.

A great ball of fire followed the lighting bolt into the room blasting the second group, erupting in an explosion that lifted the five Daedra into the air and sent them flying away from the explosion zone. They crashed into the walls and one of them was skewered on a stalagmite. Two of them never got up again while the skewered one thrashed about on the stalagmite for a moment before going still, gore pouring down the stone.

The remaining group of three Spider Daedra hissed mightily and conjured small versions of themselves and sent them after William. While they did that, William let loose a flaming arrow from the great bow at one of them, aiming for its head.

Red watched as the arrow flew past her location. The arrow made a screeching noise as it traveled at a speed Red had never seen an arrow go before. The massive bow that William held seemed to enhance the speed of the supernatural arrows.

Red watched as the arrow found its mark where the flame exploded between the eyes of one of the giant Spider Daedra, throwing its head back and pulling its body along with it from the force of the blow. It smashed into the cavern wall with a sickening thud as its fractured skull from the explosion smashed open on the wall.

William pulled back another flaming arrow that seemed to appear in his hand and let it fly into the second Daedra of the same group with the same result as the first. Only one summoned miniature Spider Daedra made it to Reds position where she lashed out at it, a chill running down her spine and the hair on her arm standing on end. Her blade took its head off where it vanished in a puff of smoke. The third unhurt Daedra rushed William not realizing that Sherena and Red lay in wait for it.

The burned and shocked Daedra also got back on their feet and headed towards William, some moving a bit slower from broken or missing legs.

Sherena sent her frost blade deep into the side of the large Daedra as it clicked by her on its way to William. The ice spread quickly around the Spider where it was quickly shattered by a blow from the large warhammer now in William’s hands. Pieces of the broken spider scattered about the floor as the remaining bewildered Spider Daedra slowed in their advance, unsure of the threat before them.

William took Red by the arm pulling her to her feet and guided her and Sherena into the room as the now cautious Spider Daedra started casting healing spells on themselves. They were rushed by the trio before they could fully heal themselves.

Sherena sent her blade into the closest singed Spider hacking an arm off it, and then its head. William’s blades spun quickly in the air before him, sending pieces of another spider torso flying through the air, gore gushed from the hacked torso as the legs buckled under it. Red hesitated in her attack, the goose bumps on her skin attesting to the fact that she was unable to close the gap to the spider for a blow from her dagger.

The Spider rushed Red who stumbled backwards and tripped over a broken stalagmite that lay on the ground. The Spider ran over the top of Red, not expecting her sudden fall to the floor in its rush to attack her. The hairs on the chitin of the spider brushed Reds face and arms, causing her to let out a blood curdling scream of terror. Her hand lashed out in reflex at the exposed underside of the spider cutting deeply into a leg joint. She kicked with all her might at its bulk sending it flying into the air, gore trailing after it from the deep knife cut. It came down on another of the stalagmites that littered the floor of the cavern where it thrashed around in its death throes.

William jumped off the falling carcass in front of him and flew through the air over a summoned miniature spider and sent his blades deep into the body of the larger Daedra. The force of his attack knocked the creature to the floor, where it remained as William pulled his blades from its carcass.

Sherena had just hacked one of the miniature spiders again while its master cast another healing spell on itself. Both William and Sherena advanced on the vile creature as Red picked herself up from the floor, a shiver running through her body. The last of the Spider Daedra was quickly cut down by the couple as they hacked at its torso, its feeble attempt to attack them in vain.

The three fighters, breathing heavily, gathered together to assess their condition after the last Spider fell. Red clapped William on the back and whistled. “That was some kick-ass magic you cast at them and that bow of yours was wicked! But I would be lying if I said I enjoyed that! Aaaagh!” Red said as she shook herself to clear her nerves of the tremors that still passed through her body.

William smiled at her, “I know what you mean Red, I really do!” William shivered as well and both Red and William laughed. They both hoped there would be no more Spiders as they headed down the last ramp to the pedestal where they found the gem not so long ago. The warmth from the lava below sent heat waves up the tunnel.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trio came to the bottom of the ramp and stood once more in the crystal chamber.  The heat from the lava field was as immense as William remembered and he placed an arm around Sherena beside him as she mopped sweat from her brow.

"Well Red?"  He said, placing his other arm on her shoulder.

"Right."  She said and gave a watery smile to Will and Sherena.  "Best to get it over with I think."  She pulled the gem from her bag.  "I really hope it is this simple."

William laughed then.  "Simple she says."  He shook his head and smiled at her.  "We'll be here if you need us."

Red nodded and stepped away from William and Sherena.  She walked to the pedestal and gently placed the gemstone once more where she had found it.  Suddenly, she found she could not move.  Flames erupted around her, swirling and engulfing her.  She felt no pain and though she could hear William and Sherena calling to her, their voices were soon drowned out by another.

"You have returned."  The voice breathed through the chamber and she wondered if Sherena and William could hear it as well.  "You took the heart.  It was not meant for you."

"I'm sorry."  Red said, a plea in her voice.  "I didn't know.  I never meant..."

"You have suffered much for the taking of it.  The curse of greed has shown you weakness and frailty.  It has also shown you strength."

"What strength?"  Red demanded, angry now.  "It tried to kill me!  I'd be dead if not for..."

"Your friends.  You have found strength in their strength.  Learned to open your heart to others, to sacrifice self for others in need.  Your heart has taken a step out of the shadows.  Would you spurn these gifts and the power we have given you?  Would you give them back knowing without them, your friend would rest within Sithis' arms?"

Red stood stunned.  Once more she remembered feeling the new power in her wake as she'd held William's lifeless body.  She knew without needing time to think that she would trade anything for that.  The gifts she had been given had saved many lives already, her friends, others, even the citizens of Wight.  Without them, many would be dead.  Knowing she could no longer heal herself, and would have to rely on others to help her was hard, she had been alone for so long, but perhaps the voice was right.  She was weaker on her own, her friends had given her great strength and saved her countless times.  She would adjust to the new Red and keep her gifts.  She could not turn her back on the ability to help others.  Considering her past, the sins she had to make up for, she felt this was right, a chance to atone in some small way.

"Yes."  She breathed finally.  "I want to keep them."

"Very well.  What we have given is yours.  It's form is not complete.  Your powers will grow and change, new strengths, new weaknesses.  Be warned.  One must balance great power with great weakness.  Your healing abilities helped return your friend to the world of the living.  You will find few wounds beyond you now as you have already found you can no longer heal your own.  It is good you did not err and come alone.  Go with grace child."  The voice whispered to her.  The fires surrounding Red vanished and without warning, the field that had once protected the gemstone popped back into being and Red was thrown from the pedestal, through the air and into the wall with a smack.  As her head cracked on the stone, she lost consciousness to the sound of echoing laughter.

She woke with her head in William's lap, feeling the last of his healing magic warming through her.  His worried eyes met hers and filled with relief.  "Stop scaring me like that."  He said in a growl and smiled down at her.  "That was quite a knock you took on the wall."  He raised her up and held her steady as the room spun.  Two Sherena's appeared in her field of view and she found she was seeing double.

"We heard it."  Sherena said quietly, bundling up a blood soaked cloth as Red watched, knowing it must be hers.  She had indeed taken quite a blow.  "The voice, we heard what it said to you."

"Rider."  Red said, remembering.  "He made me promise not to do this alone, as I wanted to."  She laughed then. "If I had, I'd be dead no doubt."

"Aye."  William agreed.  He too had heard the laughter and been frozen as Red had been thrown away from the pedestal and into the wall with a sickening crack.  He'd thought her dead and lifting her, had nearly cried at the blood pooling beneath her head.  Sherena had staunched the flow, then applied her own skills.  When they weren't quite enough, William had used his considerable new powers to finish the job.

He looked closely at her eyes, small fires banked within that unusual green and he saw, they seemed a bit crossed.  She still leaned heavily on him.  "Red?  Alright now?"  He asked.

She nodded.  "Just very dizzy.  Tired."  Her head dropped forward and William took the whole of her weight as she passed out.

"We should get her back to the Tavern."  Sherena said softly.  William turned warm eyes to her and thanked the gods for this compassionate and amazing woman.  He nodded and swung Red up into his arms.  He looked down at her and back at Sherena again.

"It is very difficult to spend a life in the shadows and then be forced to step into the light and rely on others."  He smiled when he saw understanding in her eyes.  "So it is with us both."  Now he chuckled and turned for the tunnel back to the surface.  "Though some of us fight it harder than others."

Waking, Grond rubbed his eyes, and saw that the sky seemed a greyish brown, and there, high above him, a black snake floated motionless, and amid its obsidian body were set sparkling crystal specks.  He reached for his warhammer - but it lay far away in the uppermost tower of the Keep.  As his vision cleared he relaxed, for he saw that the snake was in fact the stars in the night sky, and that he lay within a high narrow hall, of a sort the Nord had never seen before.  He stood easily, chose a direction, and began to walk leisurely along the narrow way, inspecting his surroundings as he walked.  Like a canyon it was, its top thrice Grond’s height, and its walls appeared as hard packed sand which, when he tried to climb, seemed more like baker’s dough – the stuff was moist, and came away in clinging clumps under his digging hands, affording no purchase.  There was a light from the stars above.  There was no sound other than the strange and yet now familiar blurring whirring hum of the wings.  As he walked Grond meant to begin a traveling song, so that any watcher would hear that he was unconcerned with this predicament, and any pursuer might locate him and begin whatever new trial this was.  But when Grond tried to lift his voice he found that his throat was closed, and only breath could come through.  He could not speak.  So he whistled a walking tune, one that his father taught him, long ago.

As he walked he thought of his friends:  Of William, with his mysterious armor.  Grond hoped the gift would not cost him too dear.  Of Red and her remarkable kinship with fire, an entity which Grond’s mother continuously warned him to avoid, else it burned him.  He offered a silent plea to Stendarr that the lovely erstwhile assassin be spared that fate.  Those two have earned great prizes, he thought.  He hoped the givers would not demand severe tolls: not, at the least, until he returned to aid them.  He thought of Shamus and Echo, and his friend the Rider, and hoped their roads were more true than the turning path he now walked.  There was another in his thoughts, and he turned determined when he thought of her, and her chestnut hair and bright brown eyes.  He would leave this place for the sake of his friends, and himself – but for Failan, Grond’s light walk became a determined run.  If this trial did not end soon, he would punch a tunnel through this strange canyon wall itself and return to her.    

He followed its weaving course silently until he came to a crossing.  He could tell the whirring hum was louder here, and that it seemed to be louder from the left side of the crossing.  He turned to run down the left channel when he heard a sound from behind.  It was a woman’s shriek, and it seemed filled with pain and fear.  So he turned himself around and ran silently, away from the hum and down the right way, toward the voice.  The cry ended abruptly, but began anew after six of his footfalls.  He came to another crossing.  He stopped, for, on the right branch of this new crossing, he saw, or seemed to see, that the canyon walls lowered and finally fell away some distance down that path.  And there, small with distance, Grond saw the warm golden window lights and the lantern-lit entrance of the Tavern.  It was daybreak there, and as he watched, Red, William and Sherena mounted their steeds and rode slowly away.  He half expected them to see him through whatever portal this was, but they did not; they rode directly toward him, then turned to follow the road.  He felt that it was no dream; that if he chose to, he could stroll down the path and leave the canyon easily.  But as he was about to bound down that path, he heard again the horrible cry of the woman.  Grond paused and turned toward it, briefly considering.

Then the Nord began to laugh.  He made no sound, for his throat remained closed; instead, a gurgling hissing sort of noise issued from him.  As on one side his home beckoned to him, and on the other the dire cries of a woman in need called out to him, Grond laughed, and even fell to one knee, overcome by his mirth.  His broad shoulders shook, and his sides ached from the laughter.  He ran a hand through his thick mane.

I have no speech, he thought as he giggled, but you who brought me here – you can likely hear me anyway.  Hear this!  I’m no wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn! I am Grond!  I know a cheap test when one comes my way!  Sitting upon the ground Grond continued, and his thought was like a bellow: I’ll not be your toy!  Come get me, whoever you are!  But my Failan waits, and my patience wanes!  So be quick about it!  He crossed his legs and his arms and his hissing laughter ran its course.  Though the woman’s cries continued, and began to be mixed with words of pleading, which Grond could not quite hear but could only guess at; and though he felt a great urge to race to the aid of whoever the woman was, he fought the urge, and remained seated crosslegged, like a stubborn child, waiting for a plaything which had been taken from him.

He did not wait long.

Red, Sherena and William exited the lava caves in high spirits. The curse appeared to have been lifted from Red and she seemed to be regaining her strength quickly. They mounted their horses and headed back towards the Tavern. The ancient artifact would have to wait until later, after Red had recovered from her ordeal and hopefully learned a bit more about her powers.

When they came to the Wizard’s Glen, William was sure he saw the old man in the trees but could not quite spot him again. Both Red and Sherena looked over their shoulders often as they passed through the glen.

They came down out of the hills and finally met up with the main road that lead to the Tavern. If there had been any bandits or monsters in their path, they did not make themselves known. The three of them made a frightening sight and certainly not an easy looking mark.

Red took off on a gallop as they neared the Tavern, laughing at Sherena and William quickly caught up with her. They were still laughing out loud as they entered the yard of the Tavern.

Sharon heard horses gallop up the road to the tavern accompanied by laughing. She looked out the tavern door and saw Red, Sherena and William ride up on their horses. She stepped outside when they guided their horses to the stalls. She reached out and touched Sherena’s horse and electricity seemed to pass between the horse and Sharon. The magical horses both looked at the wide eyed Sharon.

She could feel the raw magical energy of the horses. Her own magical powers were considerable, but for now she had decided not to display her secrets to these people who she hardly knew. Sharon watched as the trio brushed their horses and fed them oats and other foods that horses desired, apples and carrots.

Sharon also watched William as she knew he was filled with a great amount of magical energy like herself. She had enjoyed the ride on the dragon, but knew that was a pleasure she would probably not get again. The dragon slayers had put an end to William’s careless use of that power.

Soon, William and Sherena sent their horses back to their own dimension in a puff of purple smoke. Red and Sherena walked into the Tavern, talking… William sighed; he would let them do all the talking for now. He then saw Sharon standing there watching him closely.

William walked over to her and bending down, looked her in the eyes. “I am truly sorry about Vereta. You have the feel of an enchantress about you. Perhaps you would accept this gift from me to you, in memory of Vereta? It has powers I have not been able to determine, but I think someone who uses magic would find it very valuable to them.”

Sharon looked into William’s green eyes. She saw the flames of the dragon there when she looked deeply. She smiled and opened her hand and William placed a ring on her palm. She looked down at it with amazement, the ring was powerful indeed, she could feel it. She looked back up at William who smiled at her. She grinned back and gave him a quick hug and peck on the cheek. Blushing, she retreated back into the Tavern with her gift.

William stood back up and chuckled silently under his breath. He liked Sharon and hoped she would stay around for a while. Perhaps he would show her Vereta’s final resting place and marker he had made for him. Perhaps when she was ready. He hoped to someday call her sister.

Red did something she had not had time to do in so long when she and Sherena entered the Tavern.  She got a massive mug of the barkeep's "special" steaming cider, took her customary seat by the massive hearth and put up her feet on the hearthstones with a great, contented sigh.  

Shamus, who was already seated there with a book, laughed and reached across to give her knee a slap.  

"It went well then?"  He asked.  She still looked a bit tired to his eyes but he felt more energy from her than he had in days.  Red grinned and took a healthy sip of her cider.  She whooshed out a breath as her eyes watered and the barkeep, Wilson,  let loose a huge snort from the bar.

"He's not kidding about special."  Red gasped.  She settled back in the chair.  "The gem's returned."  She said finally and told Shamus what had happened, what the voice had said.  He leaned forward in his chair to look into her eyes and frowned.

"Sounds a bit uncertain if you ask me."  There were small fires within them and he knew they were not reflections from the hearth.  Red goggled her eyes comically at him and waved a hand.

"I've had enough of worrying about my death of recent days."  She said and took a more judicious sip of the cider.  "I'm free, Shamus.  The curse is gone."  She thought of what the wizard had said on the road and shook her head.  "Really wasn't much of a choice at all."  

"What will you do now?"  Shamus too settled back again, book in hand, at least glad to see she was in better spirits.

"Right now, I'm going to sit here and enjoy this ...well I think it used to be cider."  She chuckled softly.  "Perhaps compose a song or two, eh?  Maybe someone will be back soon to hear them."  She said, thinking of the Dragon Hunter who had so captured her attention.  "Perhaps the Rider will return soon.  I've a yen to hear what adventure pulled him from us.  Perhaps Grond will return."   The look on her face now was determined.  "He's not dead."  She said strongly.  "I feel it.  He's still alive somewhere."

"Indeed."  Shamus replied.  "I hope he returns soon, I worry that he's been gone so long and we know not where."  They settled in companionably then, reading, drinking, laughing when Sherena and William joined them.  Sherena was holding a mug to match Red's and she laughingly warned the woman what the barkeep meant by 'special'.  After a time, Sharon too wandered over, sitting aside but seemingly more comfortable in their presence than she had been.

The missing faces silently bothered the friends, each on some level, but for now, they enjoyed each other's company and wondered when a new face would walk through the Tavern doors, bringing new adventure in their wake.

Sharon jogged up the staircase of the tavern and into her room. She sat on her bed and closely examined the ring William had just given her. The deep purple of the Amethysts embedded in the center of the ring sparkled in the light of the sun that streamed from her window. She walked up to the window and brought the ring to the light, eyeing it carefully. She inspected the rings silver band and looked at each inscription in it. The inscriptions were written in Ayleidic script and were illegible to her besides a few letters. She marveled at the beauty and perfected preservation of this ancient ring and slowly made her way to a desk that sat at the corner of the room. She took a sheet of parchment from within the depths of the desk and set it on top of it. She took out an ink pot and a quill as well and thought to remember to thank the tavern keeper Arlow more graciously the next time she saw him for these gifts.

She rotated the ring in her hand while replicating each inscription on the piece of paper with a few scratched of her quill. Soon she had a line of Ayleidic script written on the top of the paper and she wrote a note underneath it to decipher it later before setting it into one of the desks drawers. She smiled to herself and ran out the door and down the stairs and past a few of the patrons on her way out the Tavern door. She slowed to a jog and stopped at the start of the forest behind the Tavern and stared out into its depths. She looked around at her surroundings cautiously before heading into the forest. It was time she had some fun, she had been wallowing in her grief for far too long. Aaron may be dead but he wouldn’t want her to lie around all day crying.

She made sure not to go too far out into the forest and to take notice of major landmarks on her little adventure and found many things along the way. She had found an old, weather worn wooden figurine of a bear and even came across a cluster of Bungler's Bane growing on a fallen log. She walked farther into the forest, mouth agape as she looked from side to side when suddenly she stumbled and fell into a brook. She sat up with mud clinging all over her face and body with an annoyed exp​ression.

“Ow…” She groaned as she cradled her arm.

She had scraped her elbow on a rock when she had fallen. She stood up and stepped out of the brook, looking down at herself. There was mud clinging all over her. A look of disgust crossed her face and she decided to return to the Tavern. It was almost dark out when she finally emerged from the forest and stepped into the Tavern. Arlow took one looked at her and shooed her to the back of the Tavern. She heard snickering from the main lodge as she was pulled towards the back door. She glowered as they left the Tavern and entered the backyard where two pools of water sat with warm vapors slowly crawling off the surface of the water in smooth wisps. There was a high fence around each one and Arlow shoved her through one of the fenced area’s gates and she stood at the foot of a pool. The word hot spring came to mind as Arlow tucked a towel into her arms with a few other sundries and exited the hot spring area via the gate.

“Lock the door and remember to wash behind ye ears, lass!” He called out.

She glared at the gate as she heard the back door to the Tavern close. Soon she was sitting serenely in the pool with a small smile on her face and her eyes closed. She opened them when she heard the door open. She had forgotten to lock the door! Sherena stood at the gate when she noticed Sharon.

“Oh! I’m…sorry, I didn’t see you were using the baths.” She explained sheepishly.

Sherena noticed that Sharon had all the appropriate items for her bath but no clothing nearby but the muddy clothing she had worn before.

“I’ll be right back.” She said, escaping the awkward moment.

She soon returned with a few articles of clothing, setting them next to Sharon’s things.

“Thank you.” Sharon said timidly.

Sherena gave her a small wave and a smile before leaving. She could wait her turn for just a little longer.

The door to the Tavern burst open. Two men entered, bearing a litter, and on it lay the leader of Udolf, the woman named Failan. She writhed, delirious on the litter.

"This illness came upon her shortly after you left us," said one. "Our Shaman can do nothing." The other added, "We know of your many talents, so we brought her here. Can you aid her?"

Shrieking as if in great pain, she moaned and called Grond's name. Those within came to aid the carriers. "Let us take her to Grond's bed," said Shamus.

They brought the litter down the stairs to the basement, where, amid the clutter of his personal belongings, Grond had a wide bed. Once they laid Failan upon it, William laid his hands on her burning forehead. His mighty healing powers did nothing. "She is far, far away," he whispered. Red then tried, laying her hands on Failan. "They are burning her, and she is near death," came her whispered words.

Shamus then excused himself and bolted up the stairs. Echo, upon glancing at the shelving Grond had built, looked at the many vials there, and took one. Marked upon the bottle were the words Extreme Frost. "Do you think we should give her this?" said the thief.

The others agreed and as Shamus returned to the basement they raised Failan's head and administered the potion Grond had made. "Perhaps," said William, "this will aid her, both in body, and wherever her spirit now is."

The poison did, indeed, cool her body, Red found. But still she knew that Failan was in grave danger, wherever she was in spirit.

Shamus lay on the woman's chest a strange stone relic, conical in shape. "This relic will help her physical shell while her spirit is away."

Indeed, Failan's form quieted and her color returned. Still she moaned, however, and her skin remained too warm. Sherena came down the stairs bearing a bowl of cold water, and bathed her forehead with a wet cloth. Sharon carefully followed with drinks for the bearers.

---------

From far off in the direction of the cries, Grond heard thunderous footsteps. He knew his wait had ended.

The sound overcame that of the hum, growing louder, as whatever came to him drew nearer. Then he watched as the narrow canyon walls down that way shrank, to admit the thing which thundered toward him. It was twice Grond's height, tawny like the canyon walls. A reddish glow emanated from the monster's head and eyes, and it had in its massive fists a great warhammer. Grond leapt to his feet and charged the Golem barehanded. He did not shout a warcry, for his throat still was closed.

As they met, the Golem swung the great warhammer. Grond dodged the blow, and leapt wildly to one side, for the canyon had now melted away, the walls becoming a hard floor, the narrow hall now an arena. Grond sprang into the air and latched himself to the shoulder of the golem. He saw as he clung to the monster the source of both the woman's cries and the whirring hum. Behind them lay a machine of some kind, and its spinning outer shell was the hum which Grond had heard since he had stalked the dark halls of the Keep an eternity ago. The machine was tall and round, a giant round head as it were, with great dark horns atop it, and between them there was a line of fire, the color of which changed from fiery red to frozen blue as it flowed from one horn to the other. The outer shell of the giant ball spun but its center was still, and there Grond could see a dais, and upon the dais lay a woman.

The fire flowed from the horns down to the dais and the woman shrieked in agony. Amid the lights within the ball her face struck Grond, as hard as he had ever been struck before. Just as the Golem shuddered wildly, the shock of recognition caused Grond to lighten his grasp, and he was thrown off the Golem.

It was his Failan.

The Golem turned slowly, as did Grond. They faced each other. The head of the monster began to pulse bright red, as Grond heard the voice of the one called Darina. "Do you think I am so easily defeated?" The Golem's stony face did not move to speak, yet the words issued from it. "I, who have waited and studied and trained for just this moment? Nay, Grond - I am more than the woman you cut down in the Keep. And you are less than you were ten years ago. You and she will indeed spend your lives together, here in the realm your murderous ways inspired me to create! Attend! She calls for you! And there came from behind Grond sounds of flames and lightning, and Failan screamed his name in agony.

Grond did not turn,though he greatly desired to. Instead he sprang away as the Golem swung the hammer. He darted and rolled to avoid the monstrous assault. All the while Darina's laughter overcame even the sounds of Failan's agony. Once, the Golem's blow caught him glancing along his side. It spun the Nord around and he fell. Darina, now the Golem, lumbered to him and stood over him. "I will crush your legs so you cannot run from me," came her voice, "but I will not kill you."

She raised the hammer.

It was at that moment that Grond remembered the strange words he had heard.

I DEEM YOU WORTHY OF MY INTERCESSION. YOU SHALL FIND MY GIFT WHEN YOUR NEED IS DIRE.

He felt it within his belly, and it built to tremendous force as it rose within him. As he inhaled - more deeply than he had ever done before - Grond felt it surge to his throat. The Golem swung but Grond opened his mouth and his throat opened, and he shouted, and its volume was that of all the thunder the world had ever known, combined into a single massive sound that, like a terrible wind, stopped Darina as she swung. The gigantic force of the Nord's Voice tore at the creature, and while it still issued from Grond's lips he watched the Golem crumble, and the dust of it flew away, until all that remained was the great hammer and a small thing shaped like a large egg, which glowed a bright crimson.

THU'UM. The gift.

Grond saw that as the sound carried it sent the spongy walls of the place to stone-like hardness, then they shattered in mighty explosions. Soon he was alone again, under a sky of endless night. Behind him the giant Orb still issued flames and lightning, however. Still his Failan screamed. So Grond strode to pick up the giant hammer, and the Egg. For a moment he felt panic, for he could not get his hands around the haft. It was too wide. He tried to lift the enormous head, but could manage to raise it only an inch off the ground. He dropped it then. There was nothing else as far as his eyes could see, only himself, the Great Orb, the strange Egg, and the Hammer. Grond's new Voice had gone, and he knew not how to raise it again.

As Grond lost hope, he saw that the Hammer then began to glow. Then a moment later, it shrank in size, so that he could grasp it. Wild with excitement and eagerness, grasp it he did.

He raced to the Orb, and peered within. Failan's eyes were closed. The hum of the machine continued, so loud that Grond's head swam. He felt he might lose consciousness. Before he did, Grond raised the Hammer and swung with all his might. With the impact there was a bright flash, like ice that had become fire. Both weapon and Orb shattered, and the explosion of the Orb sent Grond many feet into the air, and when he landed, he lay still.

---------

In the basement of the Tavern, Failan awoke to the glad eyes of those around her.

"Grond will be along shortly," she whispered hoarsely.

Snow pounded down on a plain, white and frozen. The ruins of a grayed and frozen fort sat still in the blizzard as it pounded mercilessly at it. Suddenly a small movement was made amidst the stillness of the ruins. A figure clad in dark clothing slowly pushed rubble of its body and heaved itself up. The figure breathed out deeply, cold wisps of vapor escaping his mouth. The figure, a young man, lifted a leg out of the rubble and it crackled as it connected with the cold snow on the ground. The figure made his way out of the ruins and slowly away from the frozen plains.

Sharon watched William as he moved around the Tavern and talked with the patrons. When she concentrated very hard, she could almost see wispy traces of energy flow around him and come to a point on one of his hands, where like a stream or thread, it would flow away from him and vanish with distance. She wondered if she was just imagining it.

Later, William and Sherena sat on a swinging bench on the back porch of the Tavern. They watched the trees sway in the light breezes as the scent of flowers waifed on the winds to them. They talked about their friends and about their future together.

They relaxed, the first time in what seemed like ages. They held hands and swung on the swing just enjoying each others company. Sherena stretched up and kissed William on the lips and he returned the kiss. Sherena then snuggled into William’s arms and rested her head on his chest. She wished the moment would last forever.

Sharon carefully watched the world around her. The smells, the sights, the sounds, they all came to her. Her eyes roamed on an invisible line as she looked around the tavern. Most of the main patrons of the Tavern, or the Alliance as she liked to call them, were down in the basement tending to the woman two men had brought in. The woman looked extremely sick and Sharon was told to go upstairs after she brought some drinks to the men who brought the woman. She sat down at a table and laid her head in her folded arms. She closed her eyes and wondered what would happen to the woman.

Sherena got up and pulled William with her. She led him into the forest behind the Tavern where they walked through the shade trees, the wind lightly blowing the grasses at their knees. Wild flowers were blooming in the meadows filling the air with the sweet smell of summer. The sun warmed their bodies and replenished their souls as they strolled through the green undergrowth.

They chatted about their friends and wondered where Rider and Grond were. They had a discussion about their future and the responsibilities they would have to accept when they became one. They shared their heart and soul with each other and their expectations they had for each other. The topic then moved onto where they would call ‘home’ and where they would raise their children.

They were so excited with each other’s company and focused on their conversation that they did not notice a dark shadow laying in wait for them behind a giant tree.

With a quick movement from the shadows, the Minotaur Lord slashed out with its ebony long sword catching Sherena in the mid-section, cutting her deeply. She gasped from the surprise and pain and collapsed to the ground, her hand slipping out of William’s.

In shock, William saw the blade cut his betrothed, blood splattering his armor. The Minotaur pulled the blade back for another slash at the frozen William.

A sudden anger rose up in William and a burning sensation cut him across the stomach. Reaching out and grabbing hold of the Montour’s sword arm, flames flared from William’s hands and enveloped the Minotaur in hot plasma, incinerating it where it stood, its blackened bones falling to the ground.

The world spun and went black as William fell to the ground next to Sherena. Flowers swayed lightly in the warm breeze around the two motionless bodies lying on the ground. Their blood soaked slowly into the rich loamy dirt of the forest floor. An eagle screamed in the distance, its sorrowful cry echoing through the valley.

Existence was painful; the darkness surrounded William as he floated in a void. In fear, William looked around, searching for Sherena. He touched his engagement ring; the twin to the one Sherena wore. The ring flared in the darkness of the void, pushing the darkness away.

The light flared around William and then followed a streamer that lead away from him, off into the blackness. Like billowing storm clouds, the blackness parted to the flaming strand that lead away from William.

Following the string of burning fire, William came to its end and found Sherena floating in the void, a deep cut to her abdomen. The same cut appeared on William and the fires burned within him, the flames fought the deep wound, fought to heal and close it. The darkness came to William again as he held Sherena close to himself.

They drifted in the void.

A flower appeared next to William, its red petals waving in an unseen breeze. More flowers appeared around the two as they floated in the nothing. Sithis was suddenly there; ready to take William on his trip into the void of forgetfulness. The flames surrounding William dwindled and soon went out. The light it provided succumbed to the darkness and it engulfed them. The flowers were blackened and then faded away, quickly vanishing.

The burning fires of life were weak; Sithis guided the couple to himself.

A memory, a thought of how things could have been surfaced, a happy Sherena and William on their wedding day, their whole lives ahead of them. Time passed, two children laughing and playing in a pasture before a great tower, their mother tending a small vegetable garden, the father helping. The loving embrace, the kiss…

Flames burst from that kiss, engulfing the mother and father, the scene zoomed out, a golden dragon looked down on the scene as it slowly faded away and blackness returned. Pain returned. Pain was life, pain was existence. Slowly, the flames kindled as William embraced Sherena to himself, taking the wound to himself, taking the pain. He screamed in agony as the gash closed on Sherena and opened on himself.

His own curse, he could not heal others anymore. But he could ‘take’ the wounds from others, take their pain and then heal himself, heal the wounds. The cut was deep and oblivion of unconsciousness quickly returned to William.

Floating in the darkness, Sithis sought to claim William again as he wrapped his cold embrace around William in a cloak of darkness. William shivered from the cold, Sherena was no longer with him and he was truly alone now.

A voice penetrated the numbness William felt, a familiar voice called to him, called his name softly. The voice broke through the cold embrace of Sithis and parted the storm clouds with its musical tone. “William, William, come back to me!”

The flame flickered feebly, but soon gained strength, the flaming thread pulsed towards William, giving him strength when he had none left. The healing fires slowly closed the open wound, and with a start, William gasped and found himself resting in the world again, his head in Sherena’s lap and her hand on his wound as it slowly closed. The ring on her finger burned brightly as did his. The flaming strand connecting the two rings.

William finally understood the runes that were written on the rings. He had thought they were merely wedding bands.

“With these rings two become one”

When Grond awoke, he found himself propped up, seated in the last thing he would ever have imagined:  a very comfortable chair, which faced a small and cozy brick hearth, on which there burned a merry fire.  He had been brought somehow to a tiny lodge.  The floor was grey flagstone, covered mostly with animal hides, the walls were dark wood, and next to him, in a chair identical to his, sat an old man.  The man’s hair and beard were both long, silver and unkempt.  He was dressed in deep brown robes.  He drank from a dull silver cup, and smiled at Grond.  On his lap was the Egg.  No red light shone within it; it was dead.  “So, my son,”  the old man said, “did you like my Hammer?”

“Aye, sir,”  replied Grond quietly.  “And I thank ye for it.  Wish I coulda kept it.  Am I dead?”

“No,”  laughed the old one.  “Don’t fret my son – you’re quite alive – and she’ll be there when you return.  My Hammer is not meant for a Turdas afternoon adventure, that is not its purpose.”  The old one sipped from his cup.  “My son, I’ve struck a little bargain with Kynareth, and we have granted you the Thu’um, the Storm Voice.  it is a very dangerous gift.  Come, let’s walk a bit.”

Outside it seemed to Grond that he was home on the Isle of Solstheim. The sky was an icy violet, snow covered all things; it made the trees appear as white cones that glittered in the frosty gloaming.  There was not even a breath of wind.  They walked along a stone path that was lined with hollyberry bushes. Soon they came to a clearing.

Then the wind rose and dry frozen powder was flung all round Grond.  He stood tall as the winds buffeted him; soon they drew themselves to the center of the clearing.  A cyclone of dry snow formed there, twisting violently.  As Grond watched in awe, the wind transformed itself into a woman dressed in a majestic white gown which glittered brighter than the snow around her.  The wind fell silent.  In a voice burdened with centuries of sadness, the woman said, “You have done well, Grond.  Come.”  She beckoned him toward her with a bejeweled white arm, and Grond paced slowly through the drifts to stand before her.  The old man in brown remained where they had stopped.  She eyed him with a tragic sadness, then she spoke again.  

“You have a rare thoughtfulness for a Nord, and a sound mind, and though you often behave rashly, I suspect that this gift will not be misused.  Now I know that you are one who distrusts magic, and that is why I have asked your patron to bring you here, so that I might send you to a place where you might learn how to use your Gift.”  Kynareth’s voice drew Grond into somethng akin to the dreamstate which had taken him from the Keep, but this dream was clean and sad, and within the melancholy he came to understand that Kynareth was granting him a choice: either to be sent to the high place where lived those who studied the Storm Voice, and could thereby learn control of it, or to be returned to his home, where the Voice would be forever an uncertain part of him.

The choice was instantly made, and Kynareth looked upon him with a sad smile.  “Yes, Stendarr is correct.  In your bearing and your bright eye I see Tsun, who I loved.  Though he failed, he died for my beloved Shor.  Go with my blessing, my child.  Do not abandon those you love.”

Late one night, Failan awoke in the basement of the Tavern to find that Grond had returned and had come to bed without waking her.  He snored loudly.  Smiling, Failan draped her arm across the Nord’s chest and, settling against him, returned to sleep.

Red woke in the morning in a chair outside the door where Failan slept and stretched.  Stiff and tired, she rose to check on Grond's woman once more and stopped with her hand on the door knob.  "Snoring?"  She said softly and, with a sudden grin, eased the door open to peer inside.  Adjusting her eyes to the light she smothered a cheer and the urge to run into the room.  There lay Failan as before but now she lay draped across the gently rising and falling chest of Grond.

She felt tears gather in her eyes, so happy was she at her friend's return.  She did tiptoe into the room finally and with a feather's touch, lay a hand along Grond's neck, checking for injury.

Her power did not wake, finding him hale and whole and she left once more, closing the door silently and heading upstairs to her own bed with a smile.  Let the others find them on their own, she thought.  No need to disturb the couple yet and not when she herself was so tired.  They had the right idea, she thought.  Sleep first.  She trod happily up the stairs and down the hall to her room.  She passed the open door to Will and Sherena's room with a frown and stopped.  Their bed had not been slept in.  Now she felt worry inch into her gut.  They had left yesterday on a forest walk together and now it seemed had not returned.

Though her bed called to her she turned back downstairs instead and headed out to the yard.  She checked the springs, and the stables and found no sign of them and finally headed off into the woods in the general direction she'd seen them go the day before.  She went slowly, eyes on the ground and soon found the marks of their passing in the soft grass and disturbed branches.  She kicked at herself inwardly.  William was unlikely to allow anything to happen to them.  Red began to wonder if he could be harmed with that odd and, to her, disturbing armor of his.  That is was alive made her skin crawl and she couldn't imagine living with it each day.  She shook her head and laughed quietly.  It didn't seem to bother William or Sherena.

The morning's light was only just beginning to penetrate the deepness of the forest.  It was quiet, even the nightbugs gone to sleep for the day.  Her senses alert for even the slightest sound of place, she soon heard what she was looking for, the soft sound of a woman humming.  She followed the song into a small clearing and stopped, mouth agape.  The grass and flowers had been trampled and spattered with blood.  A dead Minotaur lord lay to one side and on the other was Sherena, leaning back against a tree, William in her lap and humming softly to him as she held him.  They were covered in blood, both of them and she choked on a sob.

"Sherena."  She ran to the woman and dropped beside her, quickly reaching for Will.  Sherena smiled up at her.

"It's alright Red."  She said softly.  "He saved us.  He'll be alright."  Red shook her head and placed her hands on William's face.  She sent her power seeking into him and quickly found a nearly healed wound in his abdomen.  Her new healing strength quickly finished the job and she sighed in relief, tears trailing down her face.

"What happened?"  She asked, reaching to check Sherena as well and finding her whole.  Sherena told Red what had befallen them in the clearing.  William woke then and stared up at Sherena and Red with a smile.  "I thought I was the one who was supposed to stop scaring you."  Red growled at him and, after giving him a good natured punch in the arm, helped him to stand.

Will hugged Red impulsively and then Sherena and the three of them returned to the Tavern amidst laughter that once more, they had defied fate and survived.  Red told them as well of Grond's return.  On reaching the Tavern, she waved to both and went once more upstairs to her room, this time determined to get some sleep even if she had to tell the hordes of oblivion to beg off.

William and Sherena stopped at the back porch to the Tavern as Red walked inside. Holding hands, they sat down once again on the bench swing and swung slowly in silence. Soon the Tavern would be busy with activity but for now it was quiet. The Tavern staff respected their privacy as they prepared breakfast for its guests.

William held his hand up and inspected the ring. Sherena nodded and said, “They will not come off, I tried.” William raised an eyebrow and looked into her eyes.

“You would not be here with me now if it were not for these rings. Cursed they may be, but the Minotaur’s attack would have cut you in half, beyond even my powers to heal. I saw a filament of energy connecting us through the rings and I now understand the meaning to the inscription on the rings. Any physical damage that you take, I will share half of.”

Sherena’s eyes widened in surprise, not wanting to hurt William, “We must find a way to remove these rings!”

William shook his head, “No Sherena, they may be cursed but I think in our case they will benefit us. These rings have already saved your life this day. If you were to die, I would not want to live anymore myself. I am happy to wear this ring for you, for us. I can’t think of a better symbol of our devotion to each other, we can truly share our lives together now.”

William held Sherena’s face in his hands and gazed deeply into her bright blue eyes. He then pressed his lips against hers and she was finally able to accept the ring, she felt she could finally accept William. Together they would live their lives and together they would one day die. The strength of two with one common goal would always prevail in a world full of individuals.

As they kissed, William’s hand found the cut in Sherena’s leather jerkin. He brushed his hand gently over her stomach where the Minotaur’s blade had cut her. There was no scar, only the warm and soft skin.

Sherena shivered slightly and pulled William closer to her, kissing him passionately. She put her hand under William’s own tunic and was surprised to feel his haired chest instead of the silky armor.

She smiled as they kissed and she whispered into William’s ear, “That’s some smart armor.” She then giggled as William kissed her neck just behind her ear.

They finally sat back and swung for a little while longer, just enjoying each others company.

A sudden ruckus from inside the tavern told them that Grond was finally awake. William and Sherena sighed; it was time to go inside. After they entered the Tavern, Sherena pointed to her damaged and blood stained tunic and marched upstairs to change. William looked down at his own blood stained clothing and shrugged.

William headed over to Grond and pounded him on the back, yelling to be heard over the crowd, “Grond!”

Upon seeing his friend, Grond yelled out “William!”

They exchanged a hearty arm handshake and appraised each other. As Grond looked over the great amount of dried blood covering William’s front, William pulled Grond off balance and gave him a brotherly hug accompanied by another slap on the back. William saw Failan smiling behind Grond.

William released Grond and then questioned him. “After you tackled that flaming beast, what happened to you? I searched for you and the portal you vanished into.” Grond let loose a laugh that rattled the rafters and clapped William on the back, stinging his hands on the now solid armor. “Perhaps a tale later at the fireplace?” Grond said. William quickly agreed.

“I am Glad to be back, my friend William!” Grond hollered. Pointing to the blood stains on William’s tunic, he continued, “And what fun have you and the lovely Sherena been having in my absence?” Again Grond lifted the rafters with his laughter. William pointed to the many well wishers and told Grond, “That is also a tale for another time!” William laughed with Grond while fresh drinks were served to them.

William looked towards the stairs looking for Sherena’s return. He then smiled and thought that Red would not be getting much sleep this morning as Grond burst forth laughing again as he talked with another guest of the Tavern.

Red came down the Tavern stairs less than an hour after going up them.  As Will had foretold, sleep had been impossible with Grond's rafter shaking laugh.  She grinned as she saw him by the hearth with Will, mug in hand and let another laugh loose.

"Grond!"  She said with a laugh and went to greet him.  "Good to see you returned and awake!  Though I would wish you were a bit more quiet."  Grond roared with laughter again and, rising, swept her up in a rib cracking hug.  Will laughed now as well, wincing as he was sure he heard bones crack.

"Disturbing your beauty sleep am I, Red?"  He said.  He swung her about once and set her down on wobbly legs.  He saw the bow she'd dropped on the floor when he picked her up.  "Going somewhere?"

Red chuckled, rubbing her sore ribs and retrieved her goblin bow.  "Since I couldn't sleep, I thought I'd add to the Tavern's larder instead."   She took a quiver of arrows from the pegs by the door and waved to them.  "I'll be back later with dinner!"  Will stepped forward.

"Are you sure you should go alone?"  He asked.  His and Sherena's encounter in the wood had made him wary.  Red waved him off.

"I'll be fine.  I'm not going far.   Plan on being back well before dinner."  She grinned that crooked grin of hers now.  "With dinner actually."  With that and a final wave, she left whistling some jaunty tune she'd no doubt have words to go with later.  Grond settled back to his seat and Will joined him.  Just then, Sherena once more descended, cleaned and looking far more her usual self.  She glided to the two and sat beside Will.  Grond looked carefully at them and noticed the matching rings with a gasp.

"Will?"  He said with wide eyes.  "Are those what I think they are?"  Sherena smiled beautifully and they once more explained about their engagement while Grond shook the rafters once more before sweeping Sherena into another rib cracking hug.  Then, to William's surprise, he was treated to the same embrace and whooshed out a breath in laughter as he was swung about by the large Nord.

"Glad tidings indeed!"  Grond bellowed.  "We need a drink!  Wilson!"

------------

Red ran swiftly through the woods behind the Tavern, enjoying the freedom and energy that had returned to her.  Knowing the curse was no longer dogging her every step had lifted a weight from her heart.  She felt once more as she had before, strong and capable.  She slowed her pace then.  And no longer alone, she added to herself.  She had friends now, people to care for and about.  The image of the dragon hunter's face came to her unbidden and she grinned as she jogged.  Some perhaps more than friends and she laughed at herself.

A rustle in the trees ahead of her brought her to a stop.  She slipped silently ahead now, alert to the forest sounds around her.  As she stepped between the trees, she saw her quarry ahead and smiled the smile of the hunter.  A deer grazed in a small clearing ahead, unaware of her presence.  She drew her bow and knocked an arrow, taking aim at the animal's head.  Just as she was about to let fly her shot, the deer's head jerked up, ears pricked and stared into the trees to her left.  Suddenly, it sprinted from the clearing into the trees and away.

"Damn."  Red groaned.  She was about to follow when a crashing in the brush made her wait.  Seconds later, a massive, many legged creature barreled into the clearing.  It sniffed the air, obviously it had been hunting the deer as well.  A Land Dreugh.  She brought her bow up once more, taking careful aim.  Their hearing was far too sensitive for even her to escape with stealth.  A single crushed leaf would bring it down upon her.  She waited for it's head to turn in her direction and let her arrow fly.

The bolt took the creature in the head, between the eyes and it fell backward into the clearing, thrashing wildly as it tried to remove the offending object.  Red let three more arrows fly, turning it's head into a pincushion.

Finally it stopped moving altogether and she approached it cautiously.  She'd had occasion in the past to be wary of these monsters even after death.  She had a large scar on her back to attest they could sometimes attack in death as well.  From a safe distance, she gave it's torso a kick and as she suspected, the many legs with razor sharp barbs flared to life, sweeping through the air.  She jumped back to avoid them and waited for the death throws to cease.

She stood over her kill, grinning at the amount of food she'd be adding to the Tavern's tables that night and then laughed, doubling over with mirth.  There was no way she could get the thing back on her own.  It was simply too large.  "Oh wonderful, Red."  She said to herself and sat on the ground next to it, wondering how to do it.  "If I leave you here, the animals will have you cleaned long before I return."  She pondered the problem for several minutes.  "Perhaps a litter?"  She said then and rose.  It was the only thing and she set about finding the timber she would need and fashioned a cruse litter.

It took her several sweaty minutes and much cursing to roll the creature on.  She used vines to lash it to the lattice and roped another around her shoulders.  With another laugh at herself, she heaved and slowly, found a rhythm to lurch the heavy burden home.  She began whistling once more and, with dreams of dinner in her head, began the long trek back.

Sharon sat on top of a small tree stump in a clearing somewhere in the Tavern’s surrounding forest as she watched a fawn graze a few feet away. She tipped her head to one side in admiration. The majestic creature raised its head, staring off in one direction before leaping away as an arrow planted itself into the ground where the fawn had been moments before. Suddenly, a man with a leather hat and a grizzly beard crashed out of the foliage. He flashed his bow to the side quickly and let an arrow fly shoot into the foliage where the deer had leaped into. A squeak sounded out and a thump followed.

“I don’t miss twice.” He said wiping his brow.

He held his bow at his side as he turned his head to Sharon.

“Hey there, missy. Seems you caught me in action.” He said with a wide grin.

Sharon watched as he stepped back into the foliage before he came back out hauling the carcass of the fawn. Her face twisted into a grimace as he stooped down, cutting into its belly and ripping it open with a hunting knife. He grinned again.

“You best get out of here to your parents. You ain’t wanna’ see this one after I’m done with her.” He told her still grinning and carving into the deer.

Sharon, always the curious child, stayed where she was. She did not like that he was carving into the poor fawn, but she could possibly learn something from this meeting. He removed a few organs and wrapped them up in the fawns own hide, tying it up with a leather thong he took from his pocket. He put them in a leather satchel that hung from his shoulder and made a small prayer for the soul of the fawn before he stood up straight, patting down his hands.

“Whoever gets to this here fawn is gonna’ have a feast.” He told himself before turning his gaze towards Sharon. “You still here? Well, ain’t you the little adventurer. The names Gus, what’s yours?"

Sharon considered not answering but she’d thought that’d be silly.

“Sharon.” She said.

Gus smiled brightly and walked over to her, stretching his hand out to her. His hand was covered with dirt, makeshift bandages, and cuts. Sharon took his hand, shaking it.

“Pleasure to meet you, Sharon.” Gus told her.

Sharon smiled in response. She eyed the bow at his side. Gus took noticed and lifted it a little.

“You like what you see? I could teach you a bit of stringin’ so long as your willin’ to learn.” He offered with a smile.

Sharon, who was taken by surprised, nodded slowly.

“Just be here tomorrow at noon. I’ll be roaming the forest for some fresh meat the same as I always do. I’ll teach you then.” He said stepping away from her and heading into the foliage again.

Sharon was left on the stump wondering what exactly just happened.

Failan and Grond sat together in the steaming waters of the springs behind the Tavern. It had taken amazingly little persuasion to lure the Nord into what he called 'the cooking pot'. He had resisted entering the hot waters. "I had me bath last week!" he had argued. But Failan had simply gotten out of her furs and hung them on the high hedge which surrounded the pools - the thick hedge had been planted by the Rider for privacy - and curled a beckoning finger in the Nord's direction. Grond had quickly obeyed and entered the hot bath fully clothed. Once in the water, he removed the short fur greaves and scrubbed them, then flung them toward Failan's neatly-arranged things, where they lay in a ball. The two embraced in the bubbling water.

After some time, they sat near each other and spoke softly. Soon after, Failan's men called from beyond the hedge: "Lady, are you well? We heard your cries."

Failan winked at Grond and replied, "Aye, thank you. Now if you will, return to Udolf and see that all is well there, and tell all that I will return within a few days." The men voiced their relief and assent to the order. Moments later, they heard the sound of horses trotting away from the Tavern.

"You should thank the Divines for the hedge," Failan said. "Else you would never have accomplished your quest just now." She smiled wearily and Grond's heart sang. "I'll be sure to leave a note of thanks at Mora's shrine," he replied. In response, Failan pushed Grond's head under the water. The Nord came up spluttering and laughing.

They were silent then. Failan plucked the few grey hairs from Grond's chest. The Nord's eyes were closed. He thought for a moment that a mug of dark ale would make this a perfect afternoon, but he kept that to himself. So they said nothing, for a time, until quietly, as if to herself, Failan said, "Shall we return together to Udolf?"

Grond inhaled deeply.

"You are held in high regard there," added Failan, "as are your friends. We would be together."

"Dear Failan," said the Nord, " 'tis a joy to have you near."

"But?" she said.

"Aye, 'but', " returned Grond. He stroked her dark brown hair. "Yer a fine woman. Tempted I be to ride with ye, and make a home with ye. But, today I'll not. I live in a Tavern. Tis my kingdom, today. Might be tomorrow, too. How about we both retire to our own private chambers and wait a while. See the world alone, while knowing the other's out there? T'would be a new thing, you know - and I'll come by often. Let's live apart but on calm seas, and see if we miss each other. Been a rough few days, and 'tis all we got so far."

Failan thought for a moment. Then she sighed heavily. "You and I worked well together last night, and then too just now in this hot water." She splashed Grond, and he uttered a mocking cry of terror. A small gang of chirping birds flew startled from their branches. The couple watched them fly. "Perhaps I'm charging ahead too fast," Failan continued. "Perhaps we should do as you say." She got out of the pool then and, after drying herself with Grond's greaves - and sticking out her tongue at him as she did - she dressed in her own furs. They heard the high voice of Red, who had returned, and sang a hunting song as she came. After Failan had dressed, she flipped Grond's fur greaves over the hedge.

"See you inside!" she said, laughing lightly.

He watched her go, then leaned back and closed his eyes. This one's so young, he thought, but wise. A great woman.

I could...could I?

That thought he did not finish. Instead he leapt from the water and jogged dripping through the gap in the hedge, shouting, "Naked Nord! Naked Nord!!"

The naked Nord saw the burden Red pulled, so brazenly he ran to her and insisted that he pull the litter the rest of the way.

Red stood, momentarily admiring the strangeness of the sight: a litter bearing a giant dead crablike thing, pulled by a wet and naked Nord. She laughed loudly at the absurdity of it. Then she followed Grond into the rear yard of the Tavern. As she passed the Nord, who was busy cutting the Dreugh from the litter, and still quite naked, she muttered, "Cover up, you damn fool, you look like you're mad." Grond forced a laugh that mimicked that of a madman. Chuckling in return, Red entered the Tavern and went straight to her room, calling behind her for anyone to hear: "Do NOT wake me till dinner!"

At some point between the butchering and the cooking of the great beast, Grond did indeed find the time to don his greaves. As the sun settled behind distant peaks in the west, and Wilson and others set the wide table, Arlow rang the dinner bell, which hadn't been rung since before poor Vereta had set off on his ill-fated journey. Grond and Failan, and Echo rose from their chairs near the fire. Shamus had gone to his home, and they hoped he would return - "before Grond ate all the good parts!" said Echo. William and Sherena came down the stairs and announced they had opened the door to Red's room, and had shouted that it was dinner time, but she merely groaned, so they would leave two chairs empty for their feast. And the young Sharon came through the front door. Arlow the barkeep gave her a high glass of lemonade, which she earnestly thanked him for as she sat at the table.

Grond watched William and Sherena, as they sat next to one other. They gazed at each other and it was to Grond as if both were looking into a mirror. They seemed completely at peace, and alone amid the growing crowd of friends. Then the Nord turned to Failan and saw that she was watching them as well. After a moment Failan's eye turned to Grond and they stared at each other from their places across the table. Then Failan very dramatically winked at the Nord. They both laughed heartily.

The meal of Dreugh was an exotic feast; there was melted butter at each seat, there were squashes and spears of asparagus, there were corn and cheese pies, and Slaughterfish fillets, and Grummite Egg Custard (which Failan would not try, but Echo ate with vengeful gusto) , there were Akaviri Fish rolls, and vegetable- and cheese-stuffed breads; there were mushrooms from the garden the size of Grond's fist, and many fruits and pies. There were bottles of watermelon wine, as well as pitchers of dark ale, mead and lemonade.

Before they began, they said a silent prayer to the fallen and the missing. "May their roads lead to safety," said William. Then Red came down the stairs and the feasting began.

After the fine banquet, William got up and sat in one of the big chairs by the crackling fireplace. He put his feet up on the stones in front of the blazing fire and watched the flame lick at the wood, releasing its heat and light into the room as the log was consumed.

The sap would pop in small explosions sending sparkles of light outward and up the chimney. The flames danced to and fro to William’s unblinking eyes. Unseen, the flames also burned lightly in William’s own eyes.

Sherena talked with Red at the table as they nibbled on platters of food, not hungry enough to take a full plate. Sherena talked about her wedding with William, and how eager they both were for that day.

Red looked at Sherena so full of energy and youthful beauty and asked with a crooked grin, “Have you and William lain together as Man and Woman yet?” Red got her answer when Sherena blushed a deep crimson red, shaking her head back and forth. Sincere innocence looked back at Red, who laughed and changed the subject to the Dreugh she had bagged for the meal.

Red sighed; it appeared that William cherished Sherena so much that he was willing to wait until after their union to consummate their coming together as one. William had always been a bit strange compared to the rest of the world. He had certainly had his share of misfortune.

As William watched the flames, he saw a vision in them, a vision of an Ayleid city, of dark passages and deadly traps. He watched as an Ayleid priest bypassed the traps and watched as he opened secret doors. After a while of passing many traps and unseen secret doors, he came to a great chamber that was lit in an eerie blue glow.

An enormous flaming blue eye was there which the priest walked up to. The flames were a cold blue, not fire at all but seeming to be the opposite. The flames surrounding the orb burst outward and a voice echoed through the chamber, “Someone else is watching!” The eye looked around the room, searching. It finally looked straight at William and started moving towards him. “I will consume you!” it roared as it came at him.

William pushed back from the flaming orb, from the cold fire, and knocked his chair backward, crashing to the floor. He quickly rolled backwards and got to his feet amid the stares and sudden quiet of the Tavern.

The flames in the hearth had turned blue and seemed to suck the warmth from the room. William stood in front of it as his friends watched the armor quickly cover his entire body, a shield forming on one arm and a long sword in the other. He was crouched in battle stance, waiting for an attack.

The blue flames went out suddenly leaving ice covered logs. Grond and Red, sensing danger had rushed towards William wondering what was going on, but the blue flames had extinguished before they reached him.

William looked at the hearth with confusion in his eyes. He had no idea what had just happened. He had never had such a vivid vision before and wondered what it could mean. There had been an ancient artifact in the great chamber with the burning eye. He had sensed the object more than seen it. It lay on a pedestal at the end of the chamber. No matter how hard he tried, he could not recall what it was.

Grond and Red both saw the confusion in William’s eyes and taking a quick glance at the melting ice in the fireplace, checked on their friend. Voices started to rise in the Tavern as the strange occurrence was discussed. “Are ye okay?” Grond asked William as he righted the chair.

The shield and weapon vanished back into the armor and drew back from William’s head. He looked around to reorient himself in the Tavern. Sherena came up then and took William’s arm in her hands. His heart was still racing and he was breathing deeply as adrenalin coursed through his veins. A worried look came over Sherena as she looked into William’s eyes, seeing the flames burning brightly therein.

Taking a deep breath, William tried to calm himself down. It was only a vision, probably from centuries ago. The Ayleid city had been whole and filled with the Ayleid and their slaves. The cold burning eye had detected him and had tried to cross through his vision into this time and place. He was glad he had broken contact with the flame before it could accomplish that. The frozen logs attested to its existence as not a hallucination.

Talking quietly so that only those near him could hear, William quickly told about seeing a vision in the fire of a cold blue flaming eye. He said nothing about the Ayleid city or the ruins he had followed an ancient priest through. William watched as one of the cooks boys pulled the frozen logs out of the hearth and replaced them with dry wood and started another fire.

“It was nothing friends, all is well again.” William said as he tried to dismiss the encounter and alleviate their fears. He laughed and clapped Grond and Red on the back, leading them to the bar for a drink. Sherena followed them, still concerned. They would have a talk later this night about what really happened. She smiled as William did. For now she would play along with her betrothed.

Shamus still sat at one of the back tables, thinking on what had just happened. It was a strange occurrence for sure, and it appeared that William did not want to discuss the matter, as he had all but forced Grond and Red over to the bar for drinks. He could see the suspicion in Red’s eyes as she glanced over to the fireplace, now burning with a warm, normal fire.

A figure clad in burgundy robes stood on top of the snowy hill overlooking a valley. It stood over the tomb of the former mage Aaron Hume. It small smile spread across its face.

"Your time here is not done." It said. "You still have work to do."

And with a raise of its hand the former mage dug his way out of his tomb and stood on top of the hill with the figure. His cloak was tattered and his clothes were dirty. He raised a hand to the scar on his chest.

"Ah, shit."

The boy staggered across the cold barren wastes, breathing in deeply. He was tired and hungry and he didn’t think he could go on any farther. His legs gave away and he fell to his knees and he stood on all fours, facing the snowy earth beneath him. Suddenly a gloved hand stretched out into his view and he looked up into the violet eyes of a figure clad in a tattered cloak and scarf that swung violently in the wind. He took his hand.

--

Sharon watched as Gus knocked an arrow and strung it before letting it fly. It connected with its target with a thump. The wolf fell to the ground with a yelp. It was not done yet, though, and struggled to get to its feet. Gus quickly and expertly strung another arrow and shot it right into the belly of the wolf. The wolf lied still and did not move again. Sharon calculated every move Gus had made. Gus gutted the wolf and took some organs and meat before heading back to Sharon.

“Ok, little lady, let’s go and make you a bow.” He said.

Sharon’s eyes widened slightly. Gus move swiftly but quietly through the forest.

“First, you gotta’ figure out what type of wood you want’a use.” He informed.

Gus continued by pointing out many different types of tree and the sturdiness and density the wood had. Sharon finally decided on a solitary ancient Wye Oak tree that stood by itself in a clearing, its gnarled limbs reaching up into the sky with lushes green leaves.  Gus unhooked an axe from his hip and cut into the tree. After a half hour he cut a sizable chunk of wood out of the tree and golden sap was flowing freely from the trees new wound. He took out a switch blade and tossed it to Sharon and gave her the hunk of wood.

“Your homework is to study about bows and to carve yourself one. The best rangers in all of Tamriel carved there own bow. It made them special to themselves.” He told her.

With that he stepped away once again and disappeared into the foliage. Sharon was once again left hanging and she decided to head home. She flipped open the switch blade and cradled to chunk of wood as she made her way to the tree. She laid her hand on its wound and closed her eyes.

Sharon removed her gourd from where it hung from a thin leather strap around her shoulder and emptied all the water out of it. The gourd was rather small and round with an oak tree carved into it. She scraped the sap of the tree into the gourd for a half hour before it was completely filled. She stepped away from the tree and headed back to the tavern. It was time to study about bow crafting.

The merrymaking soon resumed. Red began a song, one about a Dreugh who came to dinner. The lyrics were ridiculous and hilarious and Grond wondered if she were making them up as she sang them. But it did not matter, for the beauty of Red's voice made the simple lyrics unimportant. After she ended, they called for her to begin again. So she raised a finger and went to the bar, where her mug of cider lay in wait, near where Grond and Failan stood listening. She took a long swallow. Then, setting it down, she took hold of Grond's arm and pulled the Nord away from Failan, who laughed and applauded.

William shouted, "A dance, then!"

The tune was an ancient one, and when Red began to sing it again, so did Grond. But the Nord also capered round the common room, doing a dance he called 'the Skyrim Jig', which was mainly a shaking of one's limbs and a series of kicks. Fairly ruining the fine melody as Red had delivered it, Grond sang in a joyful voice, and went to the others, one at a time, and beckoned them to follow him. Soon, each of the patrons was singing Red's song, and each danced behind the boisterous Nord. The rafters shook with their merry voices. Echo jumped upon Grond's broad shoulders and rode the dancing Nord. And when he came to Red, Grond lifted her up into his arms. William and Sherena parted from the line and began their own dance; rather slower than the dancing line, they kept their own time, gazing into each other's eyes.

The line danced a course around all the tables in the common room, singing and dancing, all the while. Then they came again to where Red had stood. Grond set the singing woman down, and the party formed a circle round her. Grond turned to Failan and lifted her up in turn, all the while bearing the light load of Echo upon his shoulders. Failan's eyes were level with the thief's and Echo stole a kiss from her, and they both laughed. William and Sherena joined the circle again. They ended the song together, to wild laughs and loud cheering. Echo leapt off Grond and swatted the Nord's backside. "Thanks for the ride!" he shouted. The Nord, still holding his Failan high in his arms, mimicked loudly a horse's whinny.

Soon things settled down a bit. Echo told bawdy jokes at a table full of patrons, Red sat before the fire, strumming a small stringed instument, and William and Sherena sat near her and listened while they watched the flames. Grond came to them. He bumped William's shoulder with the back of his hand.

" 'Scuse me, Sherenee," said the Nord, "but could I maybe borrow yer guy here?" He held in his fist an empty glass vial, meant for a potion.

William stood and said, "Is there some trouble, Grond?"

"Maybe, maybe not," replied the Nord. "I wanna taste something, and I might need some help after. Come!"

Grond led the way, out to the rear yard. William came behind. Sherena, Failan and Red followed, curious smiles on their faces.

Grond stopped at the woodpile, where the cooks had brought the strangely frozen logs. Grond took hold of one, and said, "Catch me if I drop, will ye?"

Before anyone could respond, the Nord licked a spot on the log where the blue frost was thickest.

For a brief moment, a flash as it were, he heard his father's terrible roar when he found that reavers had killed his mother. He was a boy again. Angry sorrow filled him.

The moment passed and Grond found that he still stood. He was about to attack the man before him, but his vision cleared and he saw that it was William. "Grond!" exclaimed William. "Are you daft, friend?!"

"Oi," said Grond. "I'm gonna need a knife. A terrible and fine potion this frost will make."

Red touched Grond's arm as he collected the frost and shivered. "You're cold." She said. Calling her new power without quite understanding how, she breathed warmth into him through her hand. Goosebumps raised across his skin and he stared in astonishment as he felt himself warm from a cold he had not really noticed.

"Amazing." He gasped. "How did you do that?"

Red released him and swayed for a second, shaking her head. "Red?" Will took hold of her shoulder to steady her.

"I'm fine." She said finally and grinned. "That was a bit of a rush." Will studied the flames smoldering in her eyes and worried as she laughed with Grond and helped him collect the frost. If she could bring warmth so easily, what if she could force even more heat into a body? What if she could cause someone to burn alive without even realizing? These new powers of hers would bear watching and perhaps, testing. Uncontrolled power was dangerous, as William knew all too well. He did not think Red would live with herself if she caused harm to someone she cared about.

Sherena took his hand and, looking down, saw that she understood his thoughts. He smiled tenderly at her and together, they watched the two gather the surprising chemical from the logs. They rose from their task and Red studied the logs thoughtfully. Glancing about the yard, she saw several dogs, horses and heard the laughter of children in the distance.

"We need to bury these." She said suddenly.

"What?" Will asked confused.

"This frost, what if one of the animals or gods forbid, a child, should stumble across it? You saw what it nearly did to Grond."

William saw then and shivered. "You're right. I'll grab a shovel." With visions of rabidly attacking barnyard animals and children in his head, he quickly found two shovels and the foursome buried the dangerous wood behind the Tavern.

"Now!" Grond said, their task done. "We need a drink!" Red laughed and they followed the Nord back inside, calling for a fresh round from Arlow as they retook their seats by the now roaring hearth.

As the friends headed for the Tavern for a well deserved drink, the ground rumbled ominously below their feet. A deep groaning sound came from the freshly turned dirt where they buried the logs. The friends slowly turned their heads towards the sound, afraid of what they would see.

Grond, Red, Sherena and William all stared wide eyed with their mouths agape. Erupting from the ground sending dirt in all directions was a giant blue worm the size of a dragon! It smashed an outbuilding as it flailed trying to escape its earthly imprisonment.

Seeing the danger to the Tavern grounds and the patrons inside, Grond rushed the beast, grabbing for a weapon he was not carrying. William was close behind Grond, dual swords in his hands. William cursed; he had forgotten to give Grond his weapon back that he had rescued from the demolished keep.

Grond jumped on the lashing giant worm and tried to pound it with his fists. William sank his blades deep into the muscles of the creature, causing it to lash out in pain. Red came up and sank her blade into the beast and ignited her flames into the creature, burning its flesh black.

A sudden fog enveloped the worm and then a blast of cold sent everyone flying into the air away from the beast. Grond crashed into the top of a nearby tree while William landed in the horse’s water troth. Red skidded across the road smashed into the embankment on the opposite side, her blade falling from her grip as she lost consciousness.

Sherena looked at her blue blade and decided its coldness would not hurt the beast. She pulled out her bow and sent arrow after arrow into the thing with little effect.

William got out of the water troth dripping wet. The deep gashes that he had made on the beast were healing over as he watched. The blackened skin from Reds fiery touch turned blue and healed over as well. They had to do something quickly against the creature or it would destroy their home, the Tavern.

Nothing seemed to hurt the beast, there was only one solution that he could see, and he was loath to do it. Red lay unconscious on the side of the road and Grond was no-where to be seen. Nobody had come out of the Tavern as they were in the middle of a loud ballad about ale.

Cursing, William motioned to Sherena who quickly backed away towards the Tavern to block the doorway. William rushed the frost worm and changed as he moved, increasing in size, shape and color.

A golden dragon equal in size to the bulk of the worm lashed out at the worm, tearing a giant chunk out of it. The tail of the worm whipped around and smashed William in the back, sending him sprawling across the grassy field. Getting back up, William saw the fog start to form on the creature again and sent a blast of fire at it.

The frost and fire met in the middle exploding amid mighty clouds of steam and smoke. William Jumped in the air and came down on the midsection of the worm, grabbing it with his sharpened talons. Beating his wings fiercely, he lifted the worm off the ground and headed to the east away from the Tavern.

Grond watched in astonishment from his perch in the tree top as William melted and transformed into a golden dragon and attacked the worm. In moments the battle raged and then a blast of fire and frost had knocked him out of the tree backwards. Landing on his back, Grond fought to regain the breath that was knocked out of him. Looking up, he saw the dragon carry the worm off over the trees to the east. He watched as the worm once again became foggy and a blast of cold exploded from it, hitting the dragon which released the worm to crash in the trees below. The dragon then crash landed out of view.

Grond got up and struggled to follow the flight the dragon had taken. He looked back at the Tavern and saw Sherena having difficulty keeping the patrons inside. Grond laughed for a moment, the Woodelf was a feisty one, keeping them inside and out of danger. He then saw Red unconscious on the side of the road and stopped to check her. Seeing that she was not hurt and starting to come to, he rushed into the woods after the beast.

A tremendous crashing noise of trees being destroyed came from in front of Grond. Limbs crashed down around him as he made his way through the dense underbrush of the woods. The groaning sound of the worm and the shrieks of the dragon sounded loud in the quite forest as Grond advanced.

In the distance Grond caught sight of the dragon and worm, flames burning brightly from the dragon as it set the forest on fire around the beast, which thrashed wildly from the heat. The dragon was taking giant chunks of flesh from the worm, finally cutting it in half.

Grond finally came to the wreckage of trees and smashed or burned brush and stopped. The worm was in two sections and William once again stood over it, breathing heavily and standing in a blazing pile of brush, the blue of his skin slowly turning a normal color again.

William looked up as Grond entered the clearing. He smiled heartily at him and said, “Look what I caught! This should fill the larder for a while. Heck, we could probably give most of it to the village people as well! It should keep everybody in meat and jerky for a while.”

Grond was suddenly unsure of the dragon William had become. He had suspected something like this, but seeing it was totally different. He then smiled back at William, knowing that he had no choice against this creature.

He then saw a place in the brush near the cut open worm where the ground had started to frost over. In the center were the accursed logs that the worm must have swallowed as it grew. He looked back at William standing in the flames, warming himself from the coldness of the worm’s attacks.

William saw what Grond had looked at and asked, “What are we going to do with the logs?”

Grond chuckled, “Well, they would make the Tavern nice and cool on a hot day!”

“I forgot to tell you in all the excitement that I have your weapon back at the Tavern in my room. I brought it back with me when you vanished with that creature. I thought you might want it back when you returned to the Tavern!”

Grond’s eyes widened in surprise and excitement. He would have given William a bear hug if he had not been standing in a blazing fire, so he laughed instead, sending leaves down from the trees above.

Grond then looked concerned, what about this fire? We don’t want the woods to burn down.” William then extended his hands and turned in a circle where the flames slowly swirled in towards William where they engulfed him in a pillar of flame and quickly went out. Not even a smoldering ember remained in the once burning woods.

They both laughed at they prepared to hack the giant worm into smaller pieces. The village down the road would enjoy a healthy meal of meat for weeks to come from this kill. Red, Sherena and a number of patrons helped cut the creature up and haul it away in wagons. Grond took a giant section at William’s urging. It would make some fine jerk meat, one of William’s favorite snacks.

The logs ended up back in the tavern, in the corner of the cold storage locker, inside a locked lead chest.