DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

GIMP Problem please.

WhoGuru

I have Gimp, version 2.6.1  and it wont recognize dds files.  Stryder gave me a download to a plug-in for it, and either I have no clue what I'm doing (which is a very real possibility LOL) or it's the wrong version for the one I have and it's not recognizing it.

The plug in version is 2.0.6

I've searched and can not find anything to clear this up for me.  Little help please?  O' mighty scholars.  :pints:

Im using whatever plugin i downloaded for 2.4, so its probably not a version incompatibility. Are you sure you put the files in the right places? IIRC its only an exe you slap in the plugin folder in gimp directory.

Also, Gimp wont actually "recognize" the files. You can just tell them to be opened with gimp and all works out fine. So try that as well.

Okay, I've found the plug-in folder.  :pints:  However, there are 21 files in the plug-in download. lol  Which goes where?  Why do the people who make these things not believe in clear instructions for idiots?

dds.c

dds.h

ddsplugin.h

ddsread.c

ddswrite.c

dxt.c

dxt.h

dxt_tables.h

endian.h

imath.h

mipmap.c

mipmap.h

mktables.c

These below files which I can't read.

install

license

makefile

readme

readme.dxt (dxt file)

copying

makefile.linux (linux file)

makefile.win32 (win32 file)

Here's a look. lol

http://i45.photobuck...e/noobhelp1.jpg

Open the CS.

Load Oblivion.esm.

EDIT: If you dont know what an object is called, look in a cell that has the object.

In the object list, click on >World Objects >Door

Type in 'dark' or Scroll the list down to "DarkBrotherhoodIntDoor"

Scroll that window to the right until you see the 'Model' column.

You will see it says "ArchitectureCheydinhalDarkBrotherhoodDarkBrotherhoodLoadDoor01.NIF"

Now, in BSA Commander, load up the "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa" file.

When its done loading, click the 'Name' column header. It is now sorted on that column.

Scroll down to "meshesArchitectureCheydinhalDarkBrotherhoodDarkBrotherhoodLoadDoor01.NIF"

Extract it.

Load the NIF into Nifskope, and look at the textures on the mesh.

There is only one texture, and it is here:

"texturesarchitecturecheydinhaldarkbrotherhoodDarkBrotherhooddoor01.dds"

Now, you can load "Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa" into BSA Commander and extract the texture by sorting the column and looking for the texture in the sorted list.

Remember, You found the texture in the above example.

Lots of steps to find a texture, right?

Now you can appreciate when somebody actually gives you the answer! LOL!

And instead of just giving you the 'fish', I have hopefully taught you 'how to fish'.

:pints:

Hang on, never mind.  I just found what I was looking for.   :pints:  and HEY!   I have been learning to 'fish' on my own for a couple days now thank you!  Just so I don't have to keep begging help.  I have always appreciated the lengths you guys go to to help out.   :lmao:  

Thanks again!