DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Modeling Programs

Vince

If you have no experience with 3D modeling but want to learn, the following might be helpful.

There are three free modeling programs that can be useful in modding Oblivion.

Wing3D is the simplest and most intuitive modeler. With it you can create static and cutter objects and weapons. It does not support animation or rigging of any kind so it's not suitable for armor, clothing, or NPCs. Due to its simple interface and the fact that it's focused on just modeling (including materials and UV mapping) it is, by far, the easiest to learn. You can download it from: Wings3D Download Page. Doing a net search for "Wings3D" will get you to many useful tutorials. For tutorials specific to using Wings3D to create content for Oblivion, see my tutorials: Wings3D for Oblivion.

Blender is the most well known modeling program for Oblivion and by far the most difficult to learn of those listed here. Blender is free and will do everything: modeling, animation, rigging, procedural materials and textures, photo-realistic rendering, you-name-it. The fact that it does do everything is a part of what makes it difficult. For a simple model of a dagger, for example, there is a bewildering array of buttons and tabs that must be set correctly in order to successfully export for Oblivion. Another thing that makes Blender more difficult is it is always changing. The most recent updates are great, the UV mapping in particular. The problem is, you may find a tutorial for a particular facet you want to learn, only to find that it was written for a version of a year ago when the interface was a bit different. The bottom line is, it will take time, patience, and a good bit of effort to get comfortable with Blender. Many have given up in frustration. However, if you have the mental power and determination to master it, you will not find a more powerful or versatile free 3D program. You can get Blender at: Get Blender

The third program is gmax. Gmax is intermediate in both power and ease of learning between Wings3D and Blender. Gmax is basically a free, stripped-down version of 3ds Max about version 4. The idea was to strip out everything not essential for creating game content. So, things like procedural materials, photo-realistic rendering, and versatile import and export have been removed. All the key modeling stuff is still there. At first, when you notice that it only exports its own .p3d format (which nothing else reads) you may think it's worthless--not so. Since its purpose is to create game content, the idea was game people would write exporters for gmax for their games--and they do. There's Tempest for exporting to Quake and for us, Niftools supports gmax with a .nif exporter. Although I haven't tried exporting complex collision from gmax, apparently it even supports MOPPS collision! There are some tutorials specific to gmax and many for 3ds Max that are useful for gmax. If you think you will eventually graduate to 3ds Max, using gmax now means the transition will be very smooth. You can download gmax and gmax specific tutorials from: Gmax at TurboSquid. You can get the .nif exporter from Niftools 3ds Max and gmax Exporters.

• 10 months later...

There should be a note to the effect that gmax requires online registration on the computer it will be used on. Those who do not connect their modding computer to the internet for security reasons (as I do not; I have too much money in it to risk it getting a virus) will not be able to use it.

Imagine my disappointment when I found that out. Here I was thinking there was a free way for me to learn Max's pesky interface...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, there is another freebie tool for modeling. It is called Mod Tool. You can register and download it from their home page or download a couple of versions of it on TESNexus.

XSI Mod Tool 6 @ TESNexus

SoftImage Mod Tool 7 @ TESNexus

Mod Tool Homepage @ AutoDesk.com

I also have GMAX uploaded @ TESNexus.

For Blender to import and export NIF files, you need several other programs to work in concert with it such as Python, PyFFI and Blender NIF Scripts as well as installing the right versions correctly on your computer. To make sure this is done as easy-as-possible, I've uploaded "packages" to TESNexus with all the necessary software, versions and step-by-step install instructions so Blender will work correctly on the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7. The most stable package I use is labeled "Blender 2.49b Experimental" @ TESNexus

Here are some Blender-related tutorials for Oblivion modding as well:

Blender Video Tutorial - Convex Collision

Blender Video Tutorial - Adding Textures

Blender Tutorial - Split Oblivion Meshes

LHammonds Blender Tips

Oblivion Game Units

Blender Tutorial - How To Make Swords With Scabbards

Blender - Weapons with Multiple Collision Objects

Importing / Exporting Armor in Blender

Blender Tutorial - Custom Helmets

LHammonds