DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

List of Modders Resources- Resources to be Used Freely!!

WhoGuru

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. :) I'm thinking of using that and a few other Ayleid Ruin retextures in my WIP (including Burned Ayleid Ruins, if thats okay with you, Who :D ).

Of course! :) My ruins are a free resource! :thumbup: I can't wait to see them turn up in a mod!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I figured this would be the best place to ask about the etiquette for using resources from other mods: specifically, I'd like to use the childs from Modem's City Life since I think a Cyrodiil without sprogs (annoying or not) is as weird as a Cyrodiil without toilets. In my eternally WIP castle mod, the latter have been dealt with thanks to Oblivimonk making his creations available for reuse, but the childs are more of an unknown since AFAIK, City Life doesn't state one way or the other whether its assets can be shared (though that hasn't stopped some people from using some odds and sods from City Life, I've noticed).

I PMed one of the guys involved in its release on Nexus a couple of weeks ago; he's been around, but hasn't replied. Which could mean anything: he has been online, but perhaps he's busy, perhaps he hasn't checked his inbox, perhaps he can't speak for whoever "owns" the assets; one can only speculate. So where does that leave me? Obviously if I did use them and subsequently released my mod I'd at least credit the "City Life Team" for want of actual names, but the question is, should I even use them at all without explicit permission?

If the readme does not state that the mods assets can be used as a resource, you will need to obtain the author's permission first. :pints: To do otherwise could give you a bad rep. You don't want that. Message him again, also post on his download page with the request to make sure he sees it. Search the official forums and see if there's a RELz thread there for his mod. If so, post your request there as well.

Rule of thumb is: If the readme doesn't say you can, then don't without permission.

Edit: I just looked it up on Nexus and the download page has exactly the information you needed. :hugs: Silly you not reading.

Quote: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9450

You are also welcome to use this mod in any way, shape, or form that you wish; full open source model!

Edit: I just looked it up on Nexus and the download page has exactly the information you needed. :hugs: Silly you not reading.

Doh! So much for my reading comprehension. Even knowing it was there, I still had to search for it. :pints:

Anyway, good advice there: I had the impression that unless someone explicitly says "don't" and you've attempted to ask, it was generally considered fair use as long as credit was given. I guess people have their own interpretation but I'd rather play it safe; and to be honest I do get irked if I find people using my stuff without asking, which happens more often than you'd think. Or that I would've thought myself, at any rate.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for not updating the list recently. :pints: Been a bit crazy here with a hard drive death, lost my list templates, oblivion install, etc... went to NY for a while, working again, family illness. :lmao: So yeah, I've been a bad monkey.

I'll get it updated tonight after I get home from work. :P Thanks for being patient guys!