DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Past Lesson #2 Homework Submissions

darkstone

Looks great Ds! You're ready for lesson #3! :read:

The beds can stack as bunkbeds but the animation when an npc gets in and out will look strange. Bunkbeds done well will require a new animation. :evil:

Thank you, and I will take care of those beds soon. I like them, but not really, but I do, XD I may make one just static for looks :baa:

:shrug: onwards to Lesson 3

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good, you do have a couple redundant connections. In most cases if you join node A to node B and node B to node C you don't need to join node A to Node C. You can see an example in this post:

You're clear to head to Lesson #3, good job. :D

Here's my lesson two. I think these cover everything.(includes a shot of items in the cell)

Pathgridding

Container with some food items. <- Also a small bit of the table set up.

Books in bookcase, plus weapons on the table.

Table for four plus shot at items in cell plus New cabinet piece. Bayou Drawers

Not seen- Pantry with some poisons, some arrows on the bow wall rack, longsword in weapon rack. Kind of like a small "hunter" cottage for leyawin region.

• 3 weeks later...

Here they are: as a side note i include a pic of my two custom chest contents side by side, one contains the glass long sword, the other contains the full set of amelion's ceremonial armor(with the weights and stats fixed by me).

secondcustomchest.th.jpg

tablewithfood.th.jpg

pathgrid.th.jpg

filledshelfs.th.jpg

doorandbooks.th.jpg

customchestssidebyside.th.jpg

apparatusset.th.jpg

anotherbed.th.jpg

i didn't really add any clutter since i don't like clutter, but i did add hanging lights, candles and another bed in the cellar area.

Everything looks great, only thing I see is your pathing is a little crazy. You have too many necessary connections. Think of NPCs as trains, the red nodes are stations and the yellow connections are tracks. You don't need all those tracks to circumvent the stations. To get from one end of the room to the other you just need a simple grid path. Check out the examples posted by your classmates for more examples on how yours should look. XD

Lesson Number 2

37238359.jpg

19443765.jpg

28821428.jpg

62597085.jpg

23238573.jpg

91269029.jpg

80739986.jpg

This is a close up of the complete cheap guide collection.

cheapguidecollectoin.jpg

PathGrid for House

pathgrid.jpg

I changed the chest that is between the Living room area and the bedroom, next to the wall divider...

newcontainernumber1copy.jpg

and for the extra credit container change, i changed the barrel in the corner and added some nice things to it including a few gold pieces and figured out how to change the amount of added objects.

newcontainernumber1.jpg

I had to make a few changes because of Havok, i went around and got close to everything, i had too many books in the bookcase, when i was close about two shelves of it barfed themselves all over the floor. So that had to be changed, and i had been to ambition with a fruit dish on the table, oranges do indeed have the ability to fly given the right circumstances...

also had to work to get the flat ware to be flat, forks esp.

One thing i wonder about the light is leaking into the bookcase from the candles on top. I considered putting them on dishes but worried about the havok. Is there a way to cut light from above?

And i Had to move the glass axe to the bed by the fireplace it did not want to stand up against the wall safely.

I am uncertain about the fit of the door...there was no 'magnetic' function that i could see..is there a proper proceedure for fitting doors?

UPDATE: i see i need to move the chair back from the desk so it can be used. ditto for one of the benches at the dinner table.

Edited by CrisG9

Looks really good, you've done brilliantly with clutter. XD

I do have a couple notes for you. A couple of your pathing spots use too many connections. In general if you have 3 red nodes, A, B, and C, you want to connect A to and B to C. There is no reason to then connect A to C because the NPC can go from A to C through B as it is. Mae sense? :lmao:

Your desk is clipping into the base boards of the wall needs to come out further.

You do want to be careful with clutter because too much can cause frame rate lag and crazy havoc issues like you experienced. Also resist the urge to stuff your house with every title of book. Remember Oblivion is vastly a collection game, if you put all the books (or all of anything) in one place, players won't have to work for them.

In the statics list is an upper class candle plate that is static and already has candles on it. You can then add a light object and use a lower intensity or move the actual light higher then the candles to prevent it from leaking through the shelves.

As to you door, you want to double click on it and make sure you set it to a straight angle (like 90, -90, 180, -180) so it will sit straight in the frame. You place it then just like clutter only you need to make sure it's all the way in the frame. Some doors fit better if you hold the s key and scale them up a little bit. It won't fall or anything, it's static like clutter. :)

Tweak those couple things and you'll be ready for lesson #3, you're doing very well. :smarty:

I had to make some changes after a last QC check, the path for the chairs was not right, the player got blocked by objects by the fireplace and at the desk. So i re arranged the chairs by the fireplace.

Major changes to the chair location and the desk, to allow access and to change the focus to a more intimate area. I moved the candle lights from the top of bookcase to room divider and lit the bookcase with a floor candalabra. I need to learn how to find and do the Light Objects..but decided to wait to see if we have lessons in lights or will ask you about that.

I am evolving the story for this house as I develop it to practive focusing the location on lore, your comment about not having all the boooks in one place reminded me we need to always focus these locations on their story and lore purpose. So this is the retreat of a semi retired semi reclusive ex mercenary who was long ago a scholar. So he has a lot of books and is currently working on a difficult series of letters about a missing collegue and former frined, hence the many letters on his desk. I think he will have cat so maybe i can use a cat companion on the path grid. We will see.

OK i think i am ready for next step now. Want to keep quality as near perfect as i can. Door fits, but i to know more about orientation as the numbers were far from 90, i may have moved the entire house from the dead centre point. Not sure...but i will carry on for now.

23822893.jpg

30013286.jpg

62821968.jpg

56231554.jpg

Brilliantly done, you're ready to move on! XD

A nice back story can help you evolve a believable living space, something that is lacking in the vanilla game. Nice touch. :smarty:

If you did move your house off the zero point you needn't fret about it now that you've come so far. There are some vanilla houses that are off the zero point. It's more important to maintain that orientation when using connectible pieces. I recommend you take on the Basement Credit Challenge when you get there to give you more practice in moving about the cell without moving your pieces on accident. :)

OK, dinner and then on with Lesson 3. I will do that Basement challenge..whatever it is..if it will help me. I see how essential it is to maintain polairty,and am eager to get a rock solid fountaion in the basics in all ways.

thank you so much.

/me sharpens virtual pen and turns the digital page XD