DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Chest and door trap mods?

Psykolabe

I was wondering if anyone has made a mod that adds traps to doors and chests.

I'm obviously planning to make a mod like this.

My plans are as follows.

1. Make the trigger system that allows a spell to be cast whenever "X" door or chest is activated.

2. Make the system that decides based on what loot, and what rooms are behind the door, "X" spell of "X" magnitude is cast, or "X" level weapon is fired.

3. Make this mod universally compatible.

4. Make a slew of new spells, all having to do with traps.

4a. Trap Detection- These spells help you see what level and type of trap is applied to "X" object.

The object's description would read as such;

Chest/door/etc., lock level(If applicable), Spell type and effects.

After progressing to "X" level in "X" skill, you will be able to detect the trap levels on an object without use of these spells.

4b. Trap Dispels- These will dispell all traps on an object, and will work similarly to the "Unlock _____ Lock" spells. "X" spell will dispel "X" level trap from said door or chest. After progressing to a certian point in "X" skill, you can dispel certian level traps without even having to use the spells.

These spells have a low chance of failing, but if they do, the trap is activated.

4c. Trap Captures- These will caputre the trap and put them into a 1-time use scroll with an open-ended option to put "X" enchantment in whatever form of trap you decide to use. i.e. Capture a "Summon Scamp" from a door, and then you can use it as a pressure pad trap.

4d. Traps- These may not seem terribly useful at first glance, but if you know how to use good strategy, these may be quite helpful. You can set a spell of any type of trap, i.e Trip-Wires, Pressure pads, Swing-things, Wall-Darts, etc. with "X" spell(Or poison) attached to them. You could set pressure pads after a set of 3 trip wires and have an incoming enemy hit all 4, taking a decent amount of damage, depending on the strangth of the spell and trap. Also, you can set up traps behind yourself that heal you, and if you are running low on health, just go and trip them. However, your enemy can trip them too and gain some health back. Use these at choke points like in a hallway or something of the like for good damage. Also, if you want some deer, leave a decent powered trap in the wild, and leave. This trap will sent you an alert if it has been set off, and you can cast a spell to see(Depending on how far away the trap is) what it has hit, and its status.

4e. No-Trip- spells that make you able to walk through your own traps without setting them off. Any moving object can set them off, even invisible or chameleon-ed things.

5. Add in the "Trap Man" , he will give you the "Make Trap" spell Menu, which should look something like this;

A.

Name of Trap-Spell: _________________

<Trap>

Magic/Poison Effect________

| <Effect> | List of Effects_____________________________________

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

| <Effect> |

-----------------------------------------------

Total Detectability:______

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

B. (effect Menu)

<Effect>

<============================= <touch> ===================================>

Magnitude: <-----------[-+-]-------------------------------------------------------------->

Range: <------------------------------------[-+-]------------------------------------->

Duration: <--------------------[-+-]----------------------------------------------------->

Detect: <--------------------------------------------------------[-+-]----------------->

Spread: <------------------------------------------------------------------------[-+-]->

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A. The poison effects are only with the physical traps, a.k.a. swing-things, arrow traps, axe-traps, stab-traps and swinging blade traps.

B. The new "detect" attribute ot the effect detarmines if the A.I. Percieves the trap. I will be adding in different values to the NPC's setting maximum detectability before they notice. The stronger the enemy, the easier that they will notice. Also, there will be 3 Chameleon effects, 1 that makes the victim of the trap go into chameleon, one that brings the victim out of chameleon, and another that makes the trap in chameleon(1% to 100%) 100% is commpletley invisible.

The new 'Spread' aspect of spell effect creates how wide the trap will be/can be. Lets say you're in an Ayleid Ruin, you can place an "X" trip-wire trap in a hallway, and it will spread the whole hallway depending on the width of it. Assume the hallway is 4 feet wide, any spell with a 'Spread' above 4 feet covers the entire witdh of the hallway, no more, no less. But, let's say your in an open chamber, that is 32 feet wide, and you cast a 30 ft. Trip wire spell, the spell will let you choose where you want to put it and it will cover 30 feet across.

For a pressure pad (circular) the 'Spread' will determine the diameter of the circle.

In wall related objects such as blade-swingers or spike-stabbers, they can only cover a certian width of an area,

6. I may make a wall crushing spell, ...mabye.

It isint difficult in theory, but it application (actually coding and doing other stuff) it may be a bit much for me to handle.

7. The "Trap Man" I mentioned? He will tell you at what level in "X" skill you will be able to have all the abilities I mentioned before.

8. I may make another skill, a "Trapping" skill. I would add it into Minor skills for every class, starting at level 10.

8b. If I decide against making a whole new skill, I will make the player get to "X" level in a few skills before an ability is available.

9. Add a story line/quest thingy, mabye a "Trapping Guild"

I am still kind of a newbie at modding, and I am still practicing and trying to expand my very limited knowledge.

This mod may take awhile, also, please alert me if someone has already made a mod to this effect. Thank You!

I appriciate the effort you spent reading this!

Thank you again!

**EDIT:

Also in the plan:

Make an enchantment type called "Set Extra Traps"

In which, you guessed it, it allows you to set more traps.

Depending on your level in "X" skill, you are able to set/cast "X" amount of traps (again, information can be gotten from the "Trap Man").

I think OOO adds some traps to chests, but afaik there's nothing like what you're dreaming up here.  Others will show up here later to correct me if I'm wrong.   :D

Anyway, you've got some great ideas here - even if there is another mod out there like yours, who cares!  Give the player a choice.   :pints:

Good luck with this, Psyko!  

I moved your topic to the WIP forum...

See, Red - that's happened to me in OB!  It was when I had OOO installed.  Oooh :blush:  that OOO.    aa_biggrin.gif  

TRAPS.  They make for frequent saves, when, after unlocking a chest (after breaking 10 picks on it) you forget about traps - then BLAM!   :lmao:  

So yeah.  This mod will be very, shake fistingly, cool.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: In Stage 4.

I have the system for Setting traps on doors/chests/etc. together. I'm working out the kinks, and testing this with most major mods, and other popular ones.

Also, while my internet was down I actually got ALOT more work done than I would have if it was up (I'm going to try to keep that work ethic). I finished the trap building menu with all the stuff which (as of now), still makes nothing but Trip wire traps (after SO many animation issues) Pressure pads, and the wall darts(still working on the effect stuff).

I decided that since the Quite large settings I'm going to allow for pressure pads' diameter, I'm not going to use the original pressure pad images, just going to use a circle of glowing sparkels.

Also, Made detect trap spells work with floor traps too. (i.e. things in dungeons)

NEW PLANS FOR THIS MOD:

Make a guild for trappers. This will add another story line, and a whole lot more dungeons.

Still playing with the "Add a new skill" idea.

Add in a few new places,like camps with trappers. Also, add in a WHOLE NEW TRAP! XD. Yeah. It will be a trap for the wilderness, well, a few new traps for the wilderness.

Anyway.

It will be a long time until the finished product is here, along with all the testing too.

I'm working hard!

Also, next time I have an update, should I just "EDIT**" my original post(Or this one), or make a new one like this?

I think a new skill would be good... but I often for more skills ala MW rather than one skill for a lot of subsets in OB (ie Ob: blade instead of MW: long blade and short blade). and if you do go that way I would suggest you take a look at Kyoma's visible skill *not right name but it's got a thread on bethsoft and a beta on nexus*.

for updates, I usually edit the first post and put a new post to bring the topic to focus that it has been edited just giving a breif synopsis and saying read the first post.

if you need any help I'd be willing... this such a cool idea! I'm also willing to beta test.

Pacific Morrwoind