DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[ReLz] Vector

shadeMe

Vector

Bringing the Ecosystem of the Dark Ages to Tamriel

version 0.1

Requires Oblivion Script Extender

Download : TESNexus | PES | ModDB

Description

A great poet once said 'Bring it out, Sir, or in my passion, I shall kill everyone by giving them Syphilis'. While we cannot be sure as to what happened in the 30 minutes that followed, we can deduce one striking fact - He had never played Oblivion. If he had, he would have made a threat far worse for this is what he would have found - In Oblivion, the player is a selfish prat who doesn't transmit diseases but only receives them and tracks the number caught.

With the dawn of a new age, Vector goes forth into uncharted territories and aims to provide a reasonably easy way to carry out poor Byron's obscene threat.

Vector lets you - the player - infect the denizens of Tamriel with the diseases you carry around so proudly. Let the heavens and romance mod makers tremble, for Vector opens new horizons in PC-NPC-Creature interaction.

Fine Print

Vector is more of an infection engine than anything else. It allows seamless disease transfer between the player, NPCs and creatures that blends in with the vanilla disease transfer system. For instance; you infect a NPC with Helljoint, the NPC comes in close contact with another and infects [the other], you cure yourself of Helljoint, you buy food from the second infected NPC and infect yourself again.

Transfer types are mainly of 3 types:

• PC to Actor
  • Actor to Actor
  • Actor to PC

Each type has a number of methods:
  • PC to Actor
    • Infection from melee attacks
    • Infection from selling contaminated goods (goods sold when you are infected)
      • Contaminable goods only include potions and ingredients

[*]Infection from a failed pickpocket attempt

• Only while pick pocketing sharp objects like weapons and ammo
    • Infection by feeding as a vampire

[*]Actor to Actor

• Infection from close contact
  • Actor to PC ( only for Vector-transferred diseases )
    • Infection from buying contaminated goods

All methods follow a single formula – The same as the vanilla disease transfer formula. Base chance is calculated using the former and a modifier is applied. The modifier depends upon the transfer method. For instance, melee attack infections depend upon the weapon used and its appropriate skill level. Feeding depends upon your level of vampirism.

Infected actors progress through 3 stages of infection. These are the only ways of detecting if the actor is diseased. Time that must pass before each stage's completion can be configured in the INI file.

• Stage 1 – The actor will occasionally clutch his tummy and make sickly noises ( like coughing and sniffing )
  • Stage 2 – Same as above, only its more pronounced and symptoms show often
  • Stage 3 – Same as the above. The actor, at times, swoons under the strain and loses consciousness for awhile. His weakness will show

Stages 1 and 2 don't apply for creatures. But they do faint once they each stage three. Note that these stages are mostly cosmetic at the moment and the disease doesn't really progress in magnitude.

Infected actors eventually get well over time or if they cure themselves of their disease ( using a cure disease potion, visiting the chapel ).

PS: Support for 'companion' mods is yet to be implemented …

Compatibility

This mod is, and should be, compatible with all other mods except those that add the ability to transfer diseases like Vector does ( to my knowledge, there isn't any ). Minor incompatibilities with:
  • Mods that remove the barter confirmation message box
  • Mods like QZ Easy Menus and Menu Escape that fake mouse button presses

These incompatibilities only affect the Barter (Sell/Buy) infection method. Disabling that particular method will remove them.

Credits

Special thanks to :

• Ian Patterson, Stephen Abel and Paul Connelly (The OBSE Team) – For keeping up the Oblivion Modding spirit and providing the modding community with TES4 Oblivion's Elixir of Immortality
  • LHammonds – For his Readme generator
  • tejon – For his help with the formula and ideas
  • greenwarden – For being such an asset to the mod's development and testing

The Entire Community around the TES Construction Set Wiki – For making such an exhaustive resource catering to ES Modding.

The Folks at the Construction Set Forums – For all their help, rum and fish.

The Rest of the Modding Community – For the inspiration I needed to start modding and all the wonderful mods which I use.

Bethesda – For providing a great game, with enough flaws to keep us busy.

Change Log

0.1 - Initial Release

Lastly, I'm looking for ideas to improve the mod. Any help from that quarter would be much appreciated .

Complete ReadMe :thumbup:

Vector 0.2 Feature Shortlist

• Disease Progression
  • Transfer Vectors :-
    • Rummaging through long dead corpses
    • Sleeping on diseased beds
    • Close contact between PCs and NPCs ( in and out of dialog )
    • Infecting an arrow or knife with some of your own infected blood
    • Visiting certain cell types ( like sewers )
    • Wind

[*]Support :-

• New diseases
    • NPCs selling diseases
  • Visuals/Immersion :-
    • Indication of a successful transfer through a ...
      • Visual effect

[*]Diseased actors ...

• Drink cure disease potions
      • Develop a resistance to diseases
      • Showing off odd colors and move slowly
      • Hallucinate (attacking non existent enemies and such)
    • Reactions ...
      • Well NPCs keep away from the diseased ones
      • If highly diseased, guards euthanise

Stuff that's Done

• Rewritten from scratch:
    • Unified infection system
      • Replaces vanilla disease infection system
      • Supports multiple diseases on actors
      • Surpasses the Carnot engine in efficiency
      • Improved compatibility across mods

[*]Additions/Changes :

• Universal Disease Progression for both the player and actors
    • Indications on successful disease transfers
    • Diseased actors ...
      • Drink cure disease potions

• 2 months later...

This was actually something I really wanted to see in the game. I've always thought that diseases were so... lame in Oblvion. There is basically no reason to fear getting them because they can easily be cured and there aren't any major consequences. I will have to download it and test it out!

A couple of questions though:

I really like the idea of my character building resistance to a certain disease. But will this resistance only be increased if I don't cure it with a potion/spell/alter? In other words, will the resistance only be increased if my character successfully overcomes it on her own?

Will any mod added diseases also work with this mod?

This was actually something I really wanted to see in the game. I've always thought that diseases were so... lame in Oblvion. There is basically no reason to fear getting them because they can easily be cured and there aren't any major consequences. I will have to download it and test it out!

A couple of questions though:

I really like the idea of my character building resistance to a certain disease. But will this resistance only be increased if I don't cure it with a potion/spell/alter? In other words, will the resistance only be increased if my character successfully overcomes it on her own?

Will any mod added diseases also work with this mod?

Disease resistances depend upon the number of times you've been infected with a particular disease and the maximum stage you let it attain. The engine doesn't care about how you overcame the disease. So, to answer your question, there is no such limitation - Either way works.

Yes.

PS : I suggest you to look into the BGS forum discussion thread - That's the one I update frequently. And there's been a lot of progress since I posted this topic here XD