DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[Request] Information on Re-Texturing Creatures

Braggi

I would like to learn the ins and outs of re-texturing stock Oblivion creatures. There are tutorials both here and on the CS wiki for re-texturing statics, but nothing (so far as I can see) about monsters.

Diagnostic Information: I have a friend who has re-textured two stock OB critters, the imp and the slaughterfish. He can't get the textures (or the creatures themselves) to show up in-game. His efforts have yielded two files for each mosnter - a creature nif and a texture .dds - so what else is missing?

Any help would be appreciated, including tutorial links. (I am somewhat familiar with BSA commander and I learn quickly, so feel free to get technical. I'll holler if I'm in over my head.)

Thanks!

Retexturing creatures is no different than retexturing statics, the process is the same so that's probably why no one has done a tutorial specifically for creatures. Your friend's trouble sounds like a missing normal map. Like statics, creatures also require a texture _n.dds file named the same as the texture except for the _n. No normal map means the textures won't render properly, may even render invisible. :dizzy:

Thank you both.

:coffee:

@InsanitySorrow: My apologies for posting in the wrong spot and thanks for your patience with a new member. Please feel free to move the thread, if that is an option. And I will certainly look over the link you have mentioned - I went through the tutorial section when I joined and I love what I see there - great work!

@DarkRider: You are right - there are no normal maps for the creature. I had wondered about that, but I am a novice when it comes to textures and models. I will pass your information along to him verbatim - I suspect he will be most relived to hear it.

Very much obliged folks and thanks very much for answering my first post here at the the site.

Its not a case of being in the wrong place, I was pointing out we have a thread for suggestion new tutorials :coffee:, Anyway I have had experience in simple creature retextures and can fully agree with DR that its just the same as other retexturing. The only difference I see depends on the creature, and example is the Will o Wisp, it uses some transparency and multiple textures to achieve its effects.