DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Past Lesson #1 Homework Submissions

A very nice start Speed! You may want to hold the S key and scale pictures down when using them in houses. Their default size is brilliant for castle but in houses they are a bit large. Other than that it looks great, full marks. You may head to Lesson #2. :D

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very nice start Speed! You may want to hold the S key and scale pictures down when using them in houses. Their default size is brilliant for castle but in houses they are a bit large. Other than that it looks great, full marks. You may head to Lesson #2. :D

Thanks! unworthy.gif

You may want to ad a section on screenshots at the end of the tutorial in the 1st lesson as that is where a new modder would need to how to provide them specifically for the CS lessons. For example, I originally took screenshots from in game, hence why they were dark. Then I read your response and took them in the CS. And I also used Flickr to avoid wasting space on your server. Anyway, just an angle from a new user perspective. ice.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Oakey dokey .. Here are my screen shots showing my new modded house with all the neccessary requirements completed as well as the extra homework :D

Overview of my Modding House

Upon entering the house

Table with Four chairs

The Fire place with cupboard tapestries and picture

Another cupboard and Two tapestries

Other painting with Two rugs

I think that covers it all. I've set all containers to Player faction just like the house itself. Hope these do the trick :D

Edited by Zordrak

Very nice Zordrak! :D

Just a note, when you set a cell as Player owned, you do not have to set ownership on the containers too, as the cell ownership give the Player (or any chosen NPC) ownership over that cell and EVERYTHING in it. Just make sure the containers used in player homes start with PC in the object window, these containers don't respawn so are safe for players to store their goods in. :D

You may head to Lesson #2 and I will add your points to the Progress Report! :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I had some time on my hands, so here's Lesson #1. First a top view in CS to show general layout and lighting.

TESATutorial-Lesson1_CS-Top.jpg

For lighting I used "CommonLightOrange256Flicker". It's my sense of realism showing, I suppose -- farm houses are drafty (I spent most of my childhood on an old farm) so the candles would flicker unless the air outside the house is almost dead-still. It's not brightly lit. We're using candles! I'm not even sure a 256 radius is actually realistic, in fact. I put a candle in the middle of the table, too -- "CommonLightOrange128", which is probably more realistic. The flickering at that light level is almost seizure-inducing (and the slower flicker looks funky to me), since the dining area is fairly dark (more romantic, don't you think?), so I didn't use a flickering light source for that. I think it's ameliorated throughout the rest of the house by the slight overlap in illumination radii. I got the effect that I wanted, though -- relatively bright lighting in the entrance area, and more subdued near the bed. Yes, I added a NorthMarker, since I peeked ahead to see how the external structure would be oriented, and noticed that DarkRider's rotation on his house was 57.6547°. I made mine 57°, even. I doubt that the extra half a degree will make any difference once I place the external structure.

By the way, for those of you taking screenshots of the CS, if you hold down the "alt" key while pressing PrntScrn it will only create a screenshot of the active window, rather than including your desktop, too.

Next is the view toward the dining area from the door, showing the table and four chairs, and the two cupboards that are part of the Extra Credit assignment.

TESATutorial-Lesson1_InGame-Dining.jpg

It turned out brighter than I expected. I have the ambient light set to 80/80/56, with Fog at 5/5/5 (there's a bug in the game that sometimes crashes it if you leave Fog set to 0/0/0, so I understand). I'll leave it for now, though. I looked at some of the lighting schemes done by the Bethesda game developers and noticed that they "cheat" a lot. They seldom put the actual light sources right on top of the objects that are ostensibly emitting the light in-game. If there are two torches on opposite sides of a tunnel, they'd frequently put a single light in the middle of the tunnel, right between them, and candles next to the wall would frequently be represented by a light source placed a bit away from the candle, which resulted in what, to me, looked even in-game like the light sources were displaced. Is this S.O.P. or was it just sloppy design work? Also, they would frequently put dim lights along tunnels or hallways to supply ambient lighting (I had been wondering what those odd "hot spots" in the lighting were). It looks like light placement isn't quite as straightforward as I thought it was going to be.

Next is a view toward the fireplace from the bed showing the bookcase and one of the four tapestries.

TESATutorial-Lesson1_InGame-Fireplace.jpg

Finally, we have the view toward the bed from the fireplace, showing two of the other three tapestries (the final one is just to the right of the window by the oval rug, visible in the top-down picture), the two paintings, bedside table, and the rest of the Extra Credit objects (two dressers).

TESATutorial-Lesson1_InGame-Bed.jpg

This was fun, if a little basic. I used to build and script in Second Life, and I'll admit that this is a lot easier, since we get to use pre-built objects, rather than have to construct them from scratch "in-game". The interface is a bit clunky for me, though. I like to zoom in really close when I'm positioning some things, and it's tough to do with the CS, unless there's a trick I haven't figured out.

Very nice start Ferryt, I'll add you to the roster and you can move forward to Lesson #2. :rolleyes:

There is a learning curve on the CS interface, it takes practice to get really comfy with it. If your mouse has a wheel you can zoom in and out that way. You can also change the zoom speed under preferences to find a zooming movement that feels more comfortable be it faster or slower. Good Luck :salute:

My 4 screenshots are in my gallery. They are marked CS Basic #1. I know absolutely nothing about links and threads and forum protocols. Is there a place to learn what is expected of me ? (sorry,I'm quite frustraded about this) Anyway - the lighting is 3- Candlestickfloor01 yellow 256 and 1- fireplace 384 I scaled the carpets up and down mainly for coverage 'cause it's a habit. Hope that won't void this submission. XD

Edited by Nevyngreat

• 3 weeks later...