DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Scripting (an object) for use in my Player home:

PunkN

…. Seemingly doomed to fail by that same "antagonist" dominating this thread's title?

So... imagine (as an example) for a moment that I wanted to place a hanging decoration or miscellaneous item in the player home I'm working on that will only activate (& appear to player) after a particular event; greeting an actor, completing a quest, etcetera... And if I had to be more specific, I'd be focusing intensely on the "quest completion" option. I've studied as many vanilla scripts as my poor peepers could handle. After several semi-related videos, and even more articles/pages that were [pointless] less-than relative to my query. I can't even recall any point during my years of sporadic gameplay any examples of this happening within Skyrim. Therefore, here I am. "Calling all cars" like some '40s "5-Oh" chasing a boozehound on a merry-go-round at 60 mph!

*Don't attempt to picture that if it sounds like a "new experience" unless migraines are equal to candy to your think-muscles!*

All I can say with any amount of certainty (and even for me... it's a LOT of certainty) that the issue with scripting this to work isn't at all an issue with my ST3 or in-CK script editor.  I'm able to compile scripts just fine; and my other scripts for the ladder and such worked as expected when I tested last. 

However... if anyone knows of a way to make a static object appear in a specified location/position upon a particular quest's completion without the use of a script --- which isn't an idea I'd consider entirely impossible --- knowing that this very [same] method was implemented in my mod; particularly on the firepit. It worked perfectly once I made some adjustments to the effects of one of the forms required to pull it off. Turns out, even statics can go flying when there's a big enough "boom" that's close enough to send shockwaves thru an anvil   :super: Aka: a piece of crafting furniture that's effectively cemented to the floor & absolutely unmovable. 

Sure... there are quirks 'n kinks that need to be ironed out when using that method for anything. However, once it's all figured out and smoothed over, it can absolutely help lessen a mods overall size if used appropriately on the fireplaces/pits/etc. But... Punk'n digresses; as I'm sure I won't be so lucky to find such an interactive method of hanging a decoration like this without the use of any scripts. Then again... if I DO so happen to find myself with that much [good] luck, I'll say with all seriousness (and conviction) that "I owe that modder/player one --- big time"!

PS: Figured out how to make the interactive fire lighting (without use of scripts) far less dangerous and therefore an awesome trick! The custom [static] containers has a similarly easy to-do list that allows the addition of specified containers --- NOT suitable for tweaking all vanilla containers throughout the world without extensive prep, blood, sweat 'n tears to properly change them all. 

In the past, what I have done, is place the object, set it as 'initially disabled', so it doesn't show up, then have the quest itself enable the object at the right point. Of course, this was in oblivion...... I have no clue about papyrus scripting.....