DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Models - need some feedback =)

Matth

Heya!

So, I found myself extra bored today, modelling the usual failed craptastic stuff, and suddently wanting to improve =o

So, Here I am. Pretty stuck. Why, you ask? well, I got no clue how, or what, I should improve. Therefore I ask you, the community of TESA, to give me some feedback =)

I actually got 3 weapons and 2 other random things which is decent, but here I am only showing my recent made stuff. My other stuff can be shown later ^^

Here goes:

Firis - Claymore/Longsword * not sure how big frap's picture is default... this may be big =/*

** about the texture. is it all hand-drawn without the handle, which was a picture of snake-skin, then detailed slightly. **

oblivion201006200123592.png

Difuse Map:http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1374/firis.jpg

Normal Map:http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4309/firisn.jpg

Weapon Crate

woodencraterender.jpg

Difuse Map: http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3968/cratedifusemapwipcopy.jpg

Normal map: http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7871/weaponcraten.jpg

Legionar Battle Axe - Finally finished. Some slacky work on the texture, some UVW error and streching error, and of course some export problems. All can be fixed, but meh. Here is a picture of it in-game ^^ I got the gem to look gemish, so I am all happy!

oblivion201006211630216.png

oblivion201006211629425.png

Cheers,

Matth

Edited by Matth

I think they're all very good. What don't you like about them?

Or better yet, what are you comparing them to that makes you say they are failed?

One thing you could look into is your UV mapping. The crate confuses me. You really don't need all sides shown on your texture, typically just one side. Separating the sides in blender and UV mapping each individual side to fit a full texture works great. That way you can also make a larger texture so more detail shows through. Also, you could bump up the scale on your normal maps for finer wood grain texture.

Have you done Vince's modeling tutorial in the Enclave? You might pick up some extra tips and tricks in there.

Keep it up, doing good :)

Well. As a starter I am unsure of the UVW, and texture, itself of the Longsword. Not sure if it is done right. And the sword also got a boxy .. middle-spike? or whatever the middle spike thing is called ^^

About the crate:

mm.. yeah, I did that for practice texturing using Ambient Occlusion map. I also wanted to randomize the texture a little, so I textured each side. I guess the best way would be just to have all sides without 1 at the same UVW spot, and then the last one by itself, where I can add the "weapon" part.

The Battleaxe I don't know. Have just been modelling on it for an hour or so. Still gotta clean it and UVW it, then see what problems I get.

aaaaand no, I havn't checked out Vince's tutorial. But I'll go do that.

Thanks!

Matth

Edited by Matth

Thanks guys! Really... I was expecting people tell me a lot that should change, but it seem everyone thinks the stuff is decent..... :)

Nevertheless: After my axe here I got a little project for Lemon, then I am out of ideas. If anyone need me by then, give me a hint ^^ I really got no idea what to make ... and making weapons get somewhat boring after a while. Not that I am complaining!

I still wish someone could point out big flaws in either the UVW, texture or model itself. I want to improve!

Cheers

Matth!

Can you show how axe looks in-game? Because sword still needs some improvement, I think - it presents less quality than other weapons' meshes (despite of various complaints about plastic-ish of vanilla weapons [which I personally don't understand]). Crate looks perfect, axe looks more or less good. :) The sword requires your attention mostly.

Can you show how axe looks in-game? Because sword still needs some improvement, I think - it presents less quality than other weapons' meshes (despite of various complaints about plastic-ish of vanilla weapons [which I personally don't understand]). Crate looks perfect, axe looks more or less good. :lmao: The sword requires your attention mostly.

As said earlier, to fix the sword I need to re-do the whole UVW and texture it again. And I really am not in the mood ^^ I will do that after I am done with my axe I guess.

The axe is far from finish. I am still messing with the UVW, trying to find a spot for everything in a way it all get the resolution it need. Then I gotta decide what each part

should be. Theeeeeen I gotta decide wether to get photo's, or simply make my own texture for it.

After that, I will see if the texture hide the seams well enough. Then I can fix up my sword :)

Thanks for the reply!

Need feeback on the upper class chest I am almost done with. '*in my gallery* Need answer on:

1) Is the color tone on the wood to dark/light for a upper class chest?

2) is the color of the gold too dark/bright?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Matth

The only thing that looks bad for me are those metal parts, it should be more detailed rather than being smooth and should be darker; some screws would be nice. Wood itself looks just fine. :)

I guess that this is only the lid (or whatever it is called) of chest?

The only thing that looks bad for me are those metal parts, it should be more detailed rather than being smooth and should be darker; some screws would be nice. Wood itself looks just fine. ;)

I guess that this is only the lid (or whatever it is called) of chest?

:) that's right, it is only the top. I am planning to animate it, so I texture the bottom and top seperate :)

Well, I guess I can play around with the gold untill I get the color i want, then detail it slightly. Then add whatever else needs to be added :)

Thanks!

Will upload the whole thing when I am done, hope for feedback then too :P

Cheers,

matth

Edited by Matth

Zu, I'd like to point out that not all metals are rough, in fact I think a smooth metal would look really nice on the chest. Would go really nice with the wood. The brightness is fine too imo.

To add more detail, you could take a free high resolution from say google and overlay that over your metal texture. Then edit and adjust as needed.

Zu, I'd like to point out that not all metals are rough, in fact I think a smooth metal would look really nice on the chest.

Maybe, but smooth metal is not the same as totally smooth texture, namely one colour without any details. That's what I've been referring to.

It entirely depends on the look you're going for. A brand new upper class chest would probably have smooth highly polished trim while another sitting in the basement collecting dust could be dulled down.

Although, personally, I think some detail as IS suggested would look nicer. I do like the wood, colour and tone wise, but would suggest a bit more depth to the normal map.