DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Security Systems

Beana

Ok so some of you know I have had a some issues with some neighbors that are... well... to put it delicately, practice less than favorable behavior. So I am now convinced.... after hearing someone just now outside my house saying.. wow that's a nice tv. (Now they could be talking about someone else but since I am paranoid and moderately self-involved I automatically think they are talking about mine) :rolleyes:

Man seems to think we need to go all out and get one of those security systems that monitors your home and you pay every month for this service. Sounds good in theory but honestly I don't want to have another bill. So here's my solution and please give me some feedback if you think I am nuts... :poke:

I think if we made small boxes like the size of a door bell and put a red LED light that stays on. Place them in every window so they are visible by anyone that attempts to look in the window. My thinking is... so if your a robber.. and your looking to go in the window and you see a little red light that's placed on the window.. you have no idea what that is. So attempting to go through the window probably won't be a good idea since you have no idea if it will trigger an alarm. I think this will deter people from trying to break in and in the long run... only cost us the money for supplies and batteries.

Am I nuts?

I'm on your side, honey. I know how those paid for security systems work and I would not recommend it (although I'm not going to explain why in public).

I'm not so sure your other plan will work either. If someone wants in your house they probably won't even notice the box unless it's sending a giant red beacon across the window.

Are you being paranoid? I don't know. Is burglary a high crime in your neighbourhood to warrant drastic measures?

How about buying a few webcams and linking them, hiding one in each room and leaving them on? I don't know how that would work technically - as in, where would you 'tape' to, can you 'tape' non-stop, what fees are involved, etc - but I bet in the long run it would be cheaper than a monthly security fee. And at the very least you'd have a wonderful mini monitor. :rolleyes:

If you go the 'red-eye' route it might deter some...make sure you make a professional-looking sign to put in your yard, too. Nope, I'm not kidding.

For most systems if it is a non panic button trip You can expect the cops to be there in 30-45 minor longer depending on how busy they are. In a panic button need to think that it will be at least 5-10 mins before they get there. Just for the record there used to be a guy they called the rock bandit here in the richy rich area of phoenix. He only hit 1million dollar plus homes. He would take a large rock and throw it through a big window,setting of the alarm,then he would go inside grab what ever he could find laying around an be gone in 10-15 mins and long before the police got there. He made enough off of what he got that he only did a job every 3-4 months. He worked for 20+ years before he retired or moved and was never caught. Alarm systems will stop some but they will not stop them if they want in and know what they are doing. Use your discretion is the best advise and talk to the local pollice on how to make your home less thief friendly.

1. Fake security sign

2. Your own camera network. You can set it to record only while you are gone from whatever computer you have it hooked up to. (Big hard drive required) and can delete any video clips when you get back if nothing happened.

1. Fake security sign

2. Your own camera network. You can set it to record only while you are gone from whatever computer you have it hooked up to. (Big hard drive required) and can delete any video clips when you get back if nothing happened.

Dangit...wish I'da thought of those. :unsure:

I heard of someone who emailed snapshots from the webcam to himself so that there was a copy not on the computer in case it got stolen. Which it did, and the emailed snapshots helped catch the gurning idiot trying to rip the camera off the wall.

I assume the software used motion detection in order to not cause problems with excessive numbers of emails, however, which is where it gets complicated.

1. Fake security sign

Easy enough to add a hardware store motion sesnor (think yard light) at each camera so they're not taping hours of nothing too. Personly I'd put them outside rather than inside. Of course that's still a fair amount more expensive than just doing blinking lights. The LED boxes are a good idea, but as pointed out not everyone will be smart enough to even notice.

I'm a huge computer geek, and love home made techno gadgets, but have you considered the simple cheap soloution? There's a great security system that deters intruders with both visual and audio signals, runs for years with little maintenance, and comes with a cute wagging tail. :unsure: Seriously any largish dog is very intimidating to most people, you don't need one that's mean or "trained" for security. I have a rottie/shepard cross that is the biggest suck in the world, loves everybody especialy children, and most folks are terrified of her and won't come near my yard.

WT

Awesome insite everyone!! Oh WT I wish I could get a big dog... Grondy knows my complete and utter fondness with Bullmastiff's :lmao: But I want to be home more to devote time to one since it seems to be virtually impossible to find one not from a breeder :/

I think what I am going to do is start with those outdoor censored lights that are very bright. I think that would be the first level of deter.. and second I am going to do the little lights and instead of a steady red light they are going to be flashing. That way they would stick out more?

just buy one of those outdoor lighting lamps with the motion sensors. rig them up in the house then plug them in when you go to bed. If someone break in they will set it off and the light will come on....and if they've just broken into a house and a light turns on in the room, they'll hopefully get out of there fast.

I will be honest with you Beana, a security system is worth it, and its not just because I am a guard.

When I was nearing the end of highschool we were robbed, then a while ago, my grandmother, the reason we were not hit a second time was because of the system.

Security companies are a waste of time and money. Unless you have an alarm wired DIRECTLY to police dispatch. Generally, if the company receives an alarm, they will send 'their people' out to investigate first. (and there are instances of them sitting outside while "bad" things are happening to the folks inside....) They have zero authority, and cannot do a thing. If the guy inside stays nice and quiet, the rent-a-cops go on their merry way, and mr. burglar continues to rob your house.

The big dog, or just a dog that can ACT big, is best. XD

If you are concerned about things happening while you are home.... take a training class, and buy a gun. Take careful note of 'castle laws' for your area. In most places, if someone breaks into your home, you can plug 'em, and no one says a word. (the cops may smile and wink while they are carting off the meat.) Doesn't mean you HAVE to shoot 'em..... most of the time, just letting them know that you are armed, and willing to use it, even if you really aren't.... is sufficient to scare them off. Should you decide to pull the trigger, with intent to hit them, kill them. Don't 'shoot to wound'. A wounded criminal, just like animals, are FAR more dangerous. I also highly recommend using 'safety slugs'. Basically, a bunch of lead shot in a copper wrapper. Transfers 100% of its kinetic energy to whatever it hits, and won't blow thru five walls, and kill your neighbor by accident. Verify that whatever weapon your purchase will indeed cycle the action with these. Some automatics don't particularly care for them, and jam. Not a good plan. :P

The "fake" security system will deter some, but, not all manner of criminals. Some of them are just not bright enough to realize what it is they are looking at. Nice little signs such as "TO Heck with the dog, beware of the OWNER, he's got a gun", and things of that nature are fun too. XD

I had a security firm install a big security box on my house with a cable going into the garage where my electric box is, it doesn't work but it is the box they use to install working systems and it looks legit. I've never had a problems with break-ins, tho' all my neighbours have over the year. I new the guy that ran the security business and it was him that suggested it to me, It didn't cost a lot and as I said it has worked.

1. Fake security sign

You can also get one of these. Goes great with a fake security sign.

Trusting fake systems only go so far, the avg police responce is 10 min, in 10 min they can clean your place out pretty well. As for the "rent-a-cops", to which I will not take offence, it really depends on the company, if they do their job right, they will do a search of your exterior and note the break in point. However not all companies use them, many call the police right away, like ours.

My suggestion (from a complete outsider to security systems) would to place a fake camera outside but maybe rig up a sensor on your door that when opened sets of some kind of noise and it has maybe a powerful light that shines right on the door to startle the intruder, now I know that it would go off every time you open the door but if you link it to a on/off switch it might work.