DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

What does eternal life look like?

GothGirlDanielle

This question is serious and has two parts. You don't have to be an expert at modding to voice an opinion.

The premise: Someone is "cursed" or "blessed" with eternal life. They are not an evil undead. Unwilling undead, wold be more like it. In other words, until the curse/blessing is lifted, they will not die. Once it is, they die immediately. They are not vampires. As long as they are in possession of a certain artifact, they will live. Losing the artifact, they die immediately. Or something like that. Also, they will be in a tomb and cannot leave, And they've lived in these tombs since the end of the First Era, Oblivion time.

Now, how does that look. Their bodies wouldn't rot; that would defeat the curse/blessing. It would be more of a loss of energy, a loss of life force. They wouldn't need to eat or anything else since that need would be contraction to the curse/blessing.

Frankly, I'm tied up in artistic/technical knots over this issue. That's Part I. Part II are the limitations of the TES Construction Set. While I'm not certain what says eternal life to me, I do know I want it to look realistic. You may be thinking: "Dani, what does it matter? Just make 'em look like normal NPCs. Didn't you ever read LotR?" Yes, but I want something surreal. Something that will give the player pause.

I made all possible/known solutions. Here's what I came up with:

1. I could may them talking skeletons. Blah.

2. I could use the "undead Akaviri" ghost solution. Sigh. Nothing new here.

3. I could just make them normal but evergreen NPCs, in a Sean-Connery-Highlander kind of way. Boring.

4. I could give them some kind of light "glow". Nice. The player enters an ancient, darkened dungeon and there's a walking light bulb.

5. I could remake textures to add rotting noses, long grey hair, ultra-wrinkly faces. Entertaining as that would be .... not working for me.

6. I'd like something .... wraith-like. Can you make NPCs fade ... like a Photoshop transparency adjustment? So the player would literally see them, but see through them, too. One solution might be to cast them in a tinted color - like a light spell only colored ... like an aura or a dispersion of energy.

Once I have a solution, I can set light and shadow in the tombs to create a surreal effect. I bet I've watched 50 YouTube videos, I've search IMDB, read a gazillion internet suggestions for eternal life, but I can't decide how these people should look.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I'd love to hear them. I don't care how off the wall they are. Maybe I can make something with it.

~ Dani ~ ;)

Edit: Completely unrelated question: can you run multiple copies of the Construct Set for Oblivion like you could for Morrowind? Thanks.

~ D ~

Edited by GothGirlDanielle

You can use the 'SAA' command to set the transparency on the actors. 25% transparency would be good.

You could also apply something like the 'ghost' effect to the actors, but make your own, like perhaps a 'green' color instead. Or some other color.

A permanent light spell 'ability' would illuminate them.

There are many solutions to what you could do here.

You've got to stop getting your ideas out of the RST playbook. :D

I'm currently doing the same , not similar, curse thing with custom shaders on NPCs. ;)

[EDIT] You can use multiple editors, you have to edit a setting in the CS .ini to allow multiple editors change the 0 to 1. :)

[EDIT EDIT] I AM just kidding about taking your ideas from RST, I know it's just an odd and inconvenient coincidence for both of us. :)

You can use the 'SAA' command to set the transparency on the actors. 25% transparency would be good.

You could also apply something like the 'ghost' effect to the actors, but make your own, like perhaps a 'green' color instead. Or some other color.

A permanent light spell 'ability' would illuminate them.

There are many solutions to what you could do here.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have said limited by my knowledge of the Construction Set. I assume SAA is a script command?

Thanks.

Dani :)

You've got to stop getting your ideas out of the RST playbook. :D

I'm currently doing the same , not similar, curse thing with custom shaders on NPCs. ;)

[EDIT] You can use multiple editors, you have to edit a setting in the CS .ini to allow multiple editors change the 0 to 1. :)

[EDIT EDIT] I AM just kidding about taking your ideas from RST, I know it's just an odd and inconvenient coincidence for both of us. :)

Right, I'm really just making your mod. :) By custom shaders you mean a recoloration of the ghost shaders?

On the multiple editors: ~ Duh!! ~ I knew that. It just got dropped somewhere in my mind.

~ Dani ~ :)

Edited by GothGirlDanielle

Yes it's a script code. You can make a new script and add it to the actor directly, Or add it to a spell so that you leave the actor script slots open for other stuff you may need. (Look at AbGhostNPC to see how this is done) :yes:

A very basic transparency script would look something like:

scn aaGGDSpiritEffectScript

begin ScriptEffectStart
saa 0.25
end

begin ScriptEffectUpdate

end

begin ScriptEffectFinish

end
[/code]

SAA is short for SetActorAlpha. It is used to set transparencies of actors.

Thank you.

Yes it's a script code. You can make a new script and add it to the actor directly, Or add it to a spell so that you leave the actor script slots open for other stuff you may need. (Look at AbGhostNPC to see how this is done) :yes:

A very basic transparency script would look something like:

scn aaGGDSpiritEffectScript

begin ScriptEffectStart

saa 0.25

end

begin ScriptEffectUpdate

end

begin ScriptEffectFinish

end

Thank you. I think I need to go read some basic ncp scripting tutorials, just to get oriented.

~ Dani ~ :)