DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Photoshop v. Gimp

GothGirlDanielle

Okay, second post for the day. I have to learn texturing. I can't keep asking people to make stuff for me. So I've read a few tutorials and most people seem to use GIMP. I've never used GIMP.

Instead, I use Photoshop CS4 Masterworks ... extensively. In fact, my parents have spent a grundle on photo-editing software for me (birthdays and Christmas are wonderful!), including the full Nix Software and Topaz plugin suites. In addition, I've downloaded gigs of brushes, patterns, fills, etc.

Is there a reason why no one uses Photoshop? Is GIMP more friendly to Oblivion rexturing? I mean, my biggest problem is all my fancy-shmancy software is on the Mac side of my MacBook Pro and Oblivion is on the Windows side (yes, it's a bit of a split personality thingy ...), so I'd have to unpack the .dds, find a plugin that works with Photoshop (I assume, I've never edited a .dds), then go back and forth between via BootCamp ...

Anyway, is there benefit to using GIMP that I'm not seeing (other than the free part ... that I do get ... )

~ Dani ~ :blink:

I use Photoshop myself :blink:

The main attraction for GIMP is that it's free, including all future updates ect. Plus the fact it has a large userbase so there is always new plugins and stuff being made. I also think personal preference comes into it too. PS is packed with more features which makes it harder to learn, so alot of beginners will choose GIMP as it's easier, plus better documented modding wise.

I found myself gravitating towards Gimp after using both that and Photoshop Elements early on; I think it is a preference thing (which for me translated into ease of use: I just don't "get" some things, of which Photoshop was one) but I've seldom felt the inclination to go back to Photoshop, especially as Gimp tends to run on more platforms and I use Unix-based stuff sometimes.

But as good as Gimp is, there are a few areas where it's lacking. The thing that always gets me is that it has no "magic wand" type selection tool, or at least nothing that works especially well, so isolating particular areas for work can be a laborious and... well, laborious is bad enough! Other than that, however, it's my photo-mangler of choice. :blink:

I use Photoshop myself :lol:

The main attraction for GIMP is that it's free, including all future updates ect. Plus the fact it has a large userbase so there is always new plugins and stuff being made. I also think personal preference comes into it too. PS is packed with more features which makes it harder to learn, so alot of beginners will choose GIMP as it's easier, plus better documented modding wise.

I've no idea why this seems so overwhelming to me - I've done googles of this stuff before, just not with Oblivion. Learning to retexture is like going to the dentist - you never know how bad it is until you walk through the door.

Do you use a particular plugin to open .dds files? Do I need one?

EDIT: @ StarX: Thank you! That's what I needed to know ...

I found myself gravitating towards Gimp after using both that and Photoshop Elements early on; I think it is a preference thing (which for me translated into ease of use: I just don't "get" some things, of which Photoshop was one) but I've seldom felt the inclination to go back to Photoshop, especially as Gimp tends to run on more platforms and I use Unix-based stuff sometimes.

But as good as Gimp is, there are a few areas where it's lacking. The thing that always gets me is that it has no "magic wand" type selection tool, or at least nothing that works especially well, so isolating particular areas for work can be a laborious and... well, laborious is bad enough! Other than that, however, it's my photo-mangler of choice. :blink:

Hmm .... that's very good to know. Yes, I won't survive long without some kind of magic wand, extraction tool. Topaz Remask is one of my favorites: simple but very powerful. Even does stuff like hair.

I'm going to try Photoshop ... [as she bites her lip nervously] ... we'll see how this goes.

~ Dani ~ :lol:

Edited by GothGirlDanielle

Another PS user here, only because I had it and was used to it before even knowing about GIMP.

But like everyone says, GIMP is preferred because it's free. And that's probably why there are very very few texturing tutorials for PS (in terms of Oblivion tutorials).

I heard a rumor InsanitySorrow was going to write one. :blink:

Yup, we'll pull you through. No worries.

Another big advantage of Photoshop are the high numbers of quality brushes available. I don't have tons of them, but I have some very good ones that came with various Photoshop Art magazines.

I'm a serious pack rat. I hang out at Deviant Art and a half dozen other sites, shamlessly downloading all the free brushes and patterns (although I stricty adhere to licensing permissions). If I see a cool bush set ... well, one click and it's mine. I have, like, a hundred bush sets ... seriously gigs of these things. Probably more than I'll ever use.

Back last summer, I did an internship at the Freer Gallery at the Smithsonian. In addition to working exhibits, I got a chance to work on some of the exhibit materials. My brushes did come in useful then. :blink:

Thanks again for the help!

I Gimp. :lol: Mainly on account of my photoshop install was corrupted several computer disasters ago and the disks are gone since we moved. :blink: Gimp is free and, to be honest, I was never all that knowledgeable with PS. It did take me a while to adjust to GIMP though. It is certainly a more simplified program and as mentioned..free. :lol:

Well, after a lot of requests I'm going to write some advanced tips and tricks for PS texturing in the future. That raises another question: how are your general PS skills, Dani? Do you know your way around with all the tools and options?

I've had two college level courses, for what that's worth. One was more photography oriented, the other was basic. I'm comfortable using image adjustments including tone, staturation, levels and curves to improve image quality, most of the tools, layers, etc. As I noted I've used Topaz ReMask extensively to pull images or sections out of works of art, to create background layers or shadow layers.

That may (or may not :blink: ) sound impressive, but most of my work has been in graphic images, making images for brochures and pamphlets. I guess I'm saying, I use Photoshop a lot, but I'm by now means an expert.

Edit: Oh crap, I hate NVIDIA. Their .dds plugins for Photoshop only work with a Windows OS. All my PS CS4 software is for a Mac.

I can't be the only MacBook user. Does anyone know a workaround for Macs?

~ D ~ :lol:

I have GIMP, and Paint.net (this program is separate from Microsoft Paint), the latter of which I use to great effect for modifying existing creature textures. Paint.net naturally reads .DDS images and possesses a built in magic-wand, it feels like a natural 'counterpart' for GIMP, to me.

Edit: Paint.net was built for the windows OS, however.

Edited by Jheuloh

Edit: Oh crap, I hate NVIDIA. Their .dds plugins for Photoshop only work with a Windows OS. All my PS CS4 software is for a Mac.

I can't be the only MacBook user. Does anyone know a workaround for Macs?

Hmmm not sure, I'll take a look for you.

Edit: PLugins are unlikely as the Mac format does not seem well supported. But you can get convertors.

Squish DDS download page (Most recent version is 1.1)

Hmmm not sure, I'll take a look for you.

Edit: PLugins are unlikely as the Mac format does not seem well supported. But you can get convertors.

Squish DDS download page (Most recent version is 1.1)

Thanks. I found another one, GraphicCoverter, that requires a purchase.

Yes, it does appear that in this respect, Macs are not supported at all, despite having really great graphics editing software. Oh well, I got to send along an angry note to NVIDIA reminding them we are in the 21st century ...

~ Dani ~ :blink:

Paint.NET fan here. I only venture toward GIMP when necessary. GIMP's UI reminds me of programs we used in 1997 and doesn't appear to have evolved much past that.

Though I have zero talent when it comes to graphic design, I can be quite dangerous with an existing piece of work when I need to be and Paint.NET is far easier to figure out. Though it does lack a few things GIMP seems to have.

Since you are already comfortable with PhotoShop, I'd stick with it. Probably the simplest way to create the .dds files you need for Oblivion is, as John suggested, DDS Converter 2. It's free and, besides .psd, will accept .bmp, .jpg, .png, or .tga images. It exports the three most common .dds formats used by Oblivion (.DXT1, .DXT3, and .DXT5). The other option is Paint.Net. Although I have PhotoShop, I often use Paint.Net as it loads instantly and outputs all .dds formats, including the uncompressed A8R8G8B8 format. Paint.Net requires Microsoft's (free) .Net Framework software, so you would need to install it in the Windows partition of your Mac.

I'm sure StarX or ES can answer your PS related texture questions. If you need info on when to use which format and the basics of normal maps, glow maps, acceptable dimensions, etc., see *** Texturing 101 *** in the Texturing Workshops subforum. Good luck!