DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Unofficial Minecraft Thread

_echo

I will bake you a cake, i raided a dungeon and got mostly buckets as my loot.

Also i have about 75 moss stone now. I might be willing to trade that if you want it as a building material.

I traveled around some yesterday and constructed a number of safehouses in the untamed areas around our buildings.

Each one is secure and has a crafting bench, forge, and a chest with some wood, stone, coal, food and torches.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"if I'd known you were comin' ida baked a cake...!"

its a song okay! Safehouses are a welcome idea, I think it's a habit we should all adopt while we're away from home :lol: I'd be more than willing to trade moss stone with you, don't know what I could give you in return though... anything in particular you want/need?

Oh yeah, and a new block type- sandstone. Four sand blocks arranged in a square. Sandcastles are now a possibility :)

I'd trade it for other hard to find building materials. clay/brick, obsidian etc.

And of course diamonds and iron and arrows are always acceptable currency, can't have too much of those.

Lol speaking of currency it occurs to me, on a server with more population a reasonable use for gold would probably be as money.

It would make sense for the same basic reasons it is in the real world: It's shiny, and it's rare.

Finding gold takes work, therefore gold can be used to represent work aka value or worth.

Edited by Joben

Hmmm, I've got one hell of a lot of redstone if you want that XD as for building materials, I'm not sure what I could trade off, I'll have to have a look and think. The gold as currency is a very good idea (it is also useful for currency BECAUSE of its lack of functional purposes- you wont turn your money into something else). If we get a few more people we could bring in gold currency, although I think that with our current pop. count a barter system works fine :)

Wow, what with the currency plans, town plans, railway plans, if we get more people, we're gonna end up an organised minecraft nation XD

Edited by the-manta

Hmm, I think the fact that diamonds are so useful makes them too valuable for currency- it would be like only having £1000 notes, you'd need loads of whatever you were buying for it to work out XD

EDIT: :woohoo: the train tunnel is finished! It now reaches my castle, where I am working on constructing a terminal. The track itself though, is far from done, but I have plenty of iron to contribute to the cause :) I also think it would be a good idea to seal off the surface tunnels except for the main entrances/exits (the castles) and maybe a couple in between. I might also be nice if we went through the tunnel and made sure all the walls/floors were cobbles or stone.

EDIT 2: The track is also now finished, barring any boosters etc. (technical stuff :candle: ) although I'm thinking that towards the end where it meets my castle, it would be a good idea to rebuild it into a slope, rather than a sudden stop and a hell of a spiral staircase :P

Edited by the-manta

Hmm, I think the fact that diamonds are so useful makes them too valuable for currency- it would be like only having £1000 notes, you'd need loads of whatever you were buying for it to work out XD

Value is relative. If both sides are getting what they want, then no trade can be "not worth it". If you only have a $1000 bill (lack of pound sign on US keyboards) then make sure you are getting what you feel that bill is worth to you, and you can never be unhappy with a trade.

I'm playing with boosters a bit. They don't quite work yet though...still figuring them out.

There is a bit of a problem with rails since the last major update apparently. If you're trying to make a straight line East/West each piece you put at the end insists on orienting it'self North/South instead of linking up with the adjacent one. (I may be wrong on the directions, but that's the general behavior)

Yes I had noticed that, somewhat puzzling. I'm a little stuck at the moment, as some kind of glitch with sand that hadn't fallen for some reason ended up with me flooding a huge side chamber/cavern (I really hope it was just the side chamber :( ) with water. As I tried to escape, a recurring glitch kicked in, whereby blocks break, then reappear seconds later. I had tried to block the way behind me, so i was in a confined space full of water, and when i tried to break blocks to escape, they came back. When I exited the game i was on half a heart and stuck in a hole... I'll have to try and do something, as there is a good chance I'll lose my stuff...

Ahhh i know the area you're refering to. I remember seeing the hanging sand.

That's a bug. When an area is generated and sand gets put over empty space it doesn't fall until an adjacent block is altered in any way.

So it can make a nasty chain reaction as soon as you touch it.

I capped that area with cobble and cleaned it up a bit. I also found a pail and iron leggins. I dropped them off in the public box in Tor Pear

I'm playing with boosters a bit. They don't quite work yet though...still figuring them out.

There is a bit of a problem with rails since the last major update apparently. If you're trying to make a straight line East/West each piece you put at the end insists on orienting it'self North/South instead of linking up with the adjacent one. (I may be wrong on the directions, but that's the general behavior)

Easily fixed by extending the track 1 more block, then removing that last track. It will set the track you want right and all is well.

Easily fixed by extending the track 1 more block, then removing that last track. It will set the track you want right and all is well.

That doesn't help at all if you need to fix a break in a straight line of rail, and it plays hell with making corners.

Some of the problems i've gotten around by building T-junctions and adding a switch and flipping it until the track is right.

Yes this seems to be a new bug because they were working fine for the first few days i spent playing with track. Then it broke after an update.

Speaking of new things we have some new players coming in. I invited a few people from the Serious Sam forums. The first one to show up is named Pan-Strife. The last I saw he was building a house in a little box canyon near my personal castle.

[edit] Oh Manta, did you and Chocolate notice the cactus patches i planted for you guys?

It can be useful for fences and traps.

Edited by Joben

Yeah, sorry about that that, don't really know why I've not been on. Went on quickly today just to get back on track after my painful glitchy death (oh yeah, that's why XD ) Did I see another castle over the bridge from your one Joben? didn't get round to exploring it properly, might later on.