DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Help with textures

TheUnknownChemist

I need some help with textures, now I have read the texture guides here and on the wiki (although very helpful I am still stuck on a few things)

The problem is the sword I have created is too shiny and bright in game, the texture file is of a bone blade and is based of the glass claymore, I have deleted the _g suffix file to stop glow, and have used both the oblivion standard _n file as well as my own. The OB default _n file is good but in daylight makes the blade blinding to look at, whilst my made _n file just makes it look terrible in every sense of the word, to shiny blue tint loss of detail ect ect.

Now if some one can explain to me briefly about what it is that makes the 'glass shine effect' and how to remedy it I will be very grateful, as I do not want it to have any shine whatsoever or a very minimal shine so as the user won't go blind whilst wielding it.

I thought also that maybe nifskope would be the way to edit the shiny effect but have found nothing that points this.

Please help I am very close to finishing my mod and this is the only thing holding me back

Thanks in advance Chemmy

All the glass weapons use apply_highlight (it's under NiTexturingProperty), change that to apply_modulate and that'll probably take care of your problem. Also check your alpha channel in the texture to see if it needs to be darkened a little.

Okay I will try the apply_highlight as well, was not sure what alpha channels did, I have done some reading on alpha channels so I now understand them, and this seems to have fixed the problems I was having. I think it will need some shine after viewing it with none.

Thanks for the help might get the mod released within the day now :D

Sorry IS I keep forgetting to post in the study hall, I will bookmark so I know where to post queries in future

I'm not a big fan of using apply_highlight anymore as it can easily make weapons and armor become looking unnatural shiny and behave differently in in- and exteriors. Altough it has to be noted that there are also lots of people that like that shinyness, so it's basically a matter of preferences. :yes: