DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Resetting Fall Damage Timer

JulianSull

Well, that's how we'd like it to work in the real world, but my experience has been that's there's way too much ego in the IT industry for that to be a reality :D

And when it comes to Oblivion scripting, I always recommend that people do stuff the same way Beth did when possible. I still like to believe that they knew what they were doing and they had a reason for doing it that way!

... professional programmer/systems analyst consultant for over 20 yrs... :P Getting there with some of the java libraries though...

The other programmers have no say when you pull the code from the production libraries. You just grab and use. As for beth's coding standards, they did not have any. I find their code a mess and unstructured for the most part. But that may just be because I am a 'little bit' OCD. Or CDO as I like to put it, its like OCD but the letters are in the proper order.

...Professional programmer for 25 years. Both Mainframe and Client server... And I bought my first computer in 1982 and taught myself how to code.

The other programmers have no say when you pull the code from the production libraries. You just grab and use. As for beth's coding standards, they did not have any. I find their code a mess and unstructured for the most part. But that may just be because I am a 'little bit' OCD. Or CDO as I like to put it, its like OCD but the letters are in the proper order.

...Professional programmer for 25 years. Both Mainframe and Client server... And I bought my first computer in 1982 and taught myself how to code.

Oh, no, I meant trying to get programmers to use somebody else's code! It's like pulling hen's teeth! Arghhh... "What do you mean it's going to take 3 months to write that? There's a library right here!" "Yeah, but I can't be bothered reading that. Besides the code is crap..." I was often hired to create code libraries for companies, but if the management support was weak (which it usually was), the libraries never got used. My point of view is a little different because I've always worked as a consultant, so I'd be pulled in when there was a mess already and would be expected to fix it! :D

Beth's code is suspect in many cases, but I find their process is usually ok. One of the main ones is how to convert an existing house so that it can be used by a mod. The safe was to do it is the same way Beth handles such cases, whereas I've joined teams where all they did was rename the existing house! And do a very good job of breaking the game in the process...

So basically, like you, I recommend having a look at Beth's code to see how they handled something and then look at improving it with better technique :D

Sounds like our backgrounds are quite similar :D