DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Build or buy...

donnato

Thank you Hana. Just to check this out while at work on my laptop I followed your instructions and found some pretty interesting event entries. Some 0x80041003 errors too. I`m going to have to fix those and the M$ forum tells me how. I just have to figure how to open a command prompt window.

I should probably move this over to the hardware/software support section now.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Ok...well some time has gone by and you`ve all given me the guidance to build a very awsome rig...thank you. I`m thinking now about upgrades and have been saving up. I`m kinda torn between saving a bit more for a CPU upgrade...or using what I`ve got / will have soon for RAM sticks + HDD...or vid card. I`m leanong toward vid card because my existing GPU memory ia less than 1GB...so what do you think of ...this I`m pretty happy with Nvidia and Intel....that said I could not ignore any or all sensible suggestions so...wha do you folks think..? Thank you.

Bear in mind that is a triple-slot card to.... It's friggin' HUGE.

I just bought an ATI HD 6850 for a 150 bucks..... I thought that was a steal. Love the card.

I have a 4890 for sale. :D Just got back from warranty replacement. (1 gb card.)

Yup I saw the triple-slot spec, it is big,eh? HY, I just went to look at the specs for the 48990 and it looks very nice. What brand name is the card can you link me to the specs? I may be interested in purchasing..:D It would make sense in my position.

• 1 month later...

Ok scroll fans...Bessie`s been up and serving my every need for awhile now. I`m thinking now of a sound card...nothing fancy but I do want performance...I tend to hear white noise and RF stuff...What kind of specs should I look for...not going the home theater rout or even surround sound just something that sounds good and has volume options..?

Like ...THIS

Edited by donnato

Surprisingly enough, this is a better card for gaming. The one you have there is a fake x-fi card, and is based on the predecessor of the Audigy 2.........

Edited to add: Bear in mind, to see ANY benefit from a hardware accelerated add-on card, you will have to use some flavor of third party software, creative alchemy for this card.... as direct sound doesn't exist in vista, or any O/S after it..... Say thank you microsloth......

• 2 months later...

Ok so i finally got the i7 2600k CPU and installed it. I`m a bit concerned about the temps I`m seeing...usually it`s hovering around 50-60- C . I converted to farenheit and have seen tamps up to 150F...This is on default settings with the fan that came with the CPU. Any thoughts..?

It should be around 50. Did you forget to reapply thermal paste? Did you put too much? Check the heatsink if its correctly placed. Air circulation in the case might be part of the problem.

Cool , thanks folks. I found this same question at Tom`s hardware and got some ideas, but, it looks like I`ll be better off with a much better fan/heatsink......any suggestions..?

Edited by donnato

Thanks Meo. Couldn`t find that exact one on Newegg but i`m sure I could find it with a bit more searching.

EDIT: ah, a quick search took me right to the Corsair H100 and I see that it`s a liquid cooling solution. Nice looking system but I wouldn`t know where to mount the radiator. Also, I`d prefer not to have to open the case every time I wanted to change the fan speeds or buy the optional digital controller. A very nice system nontheless. Thankyou.

EDIT2: Ok well here`s the cooler I decided on...LINKY

Edited by donnato

I have don't have to look any further than the corner of the shelf on the side of my computer. Everything is right there and no worries about rooting around.

1- lg flashlight

1 - sm maglight

2 - needle nosed plyiers with different tips

1 - paint brush

1 - toothbrush

2 - small flat head screwdrivers

2 - magnetic phillips screwdrives with narrow and wide tips

3 - tubes of thermal paste

2 - cans of dust buster air cans

1 - pair sissors

1 - roll electric tape

1 - set of small micro screwdrivers

4 - mayo jars of assorted screws saved over the past 15 years from buildign various computers

Guess that's about it. :)

Edited by Arion

Nut drivers for what? I have a kit withchip pullers and nutdrivers but rarely use it.. Its also on the shelf. Just not important. Don't need a retrieval tool because I have magnetic screwdrivers so I don't lose screws. As for the rest of the stuff, you didnt' ask what you need for a full fledged repair shop :rofl: