DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Official TESA TESV Speculation and Info Thread

InsanitySorrow

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to go into my reasoning here. My reasons are my reasons and opinions alone. This thread has already strayed from the "speculation" thread it was and is heading down a black hole so that's enough from me.

Oh, and :loveRST:

You are quite right Hana, sorry if I offended you. Back on topic then.

I still have a small wishlist for at least some immersion.

Northern lights- You're in the northernmost part of the world.. Bethesda, you best be showing this or allow it.

Snow/Dynamic snow- I wanted this since before we heard even a whisper in skyrim, I recall a conversation in some forums about this. Nice to see it done

We got water snow cover and dynamic quests.. all pretty much what I wanted in a game I would have made.

More destroyable things in the environment(hopefully tie in with the dynamic quests for some nice work)

Texture replacer for dogs would be nice right now though... I just want a more immersive experience as a whole.. and I'm honestly hoping we have some way to work mirrors into the game. If they allowed for that, then we could very well have some very unique mods coming out in the future.

Is the whole steam thing really enough to stop you from buying Skyrim? I can understand your annoyances, but it isn't that much of a hassle. On the other hand, if you're all considering not buying it because you object morally to steam for whatever reason then that's different.

Still though, no TESV because of steam?

Short version: Valve is using highly unethical and possibly illegal business practices with Steamworks. For many, it's not worth it. They flat out refuse to support a third-party corporation who have made it their objective to test the limits of legal business practices.

And that is the last I will say on this. Back to Skyrim now.

Edited by ThomasKaira

I still have a small wishlist for at least some immersion.

Northern lights- You're in the northernmost part of the world.. Bethesda, you best be showing this or allow it.

The picture of the dunmer thief had something that looked very much like the Northern Lights in the background IIRC

I'm not a big fan of Steam either, but I'll be damned if I will let that get in the way of playing and modding Skyrim. It's a necessary evil I guess.

EDIT: Just saw Greenie's message so to stay on topic I'll say that I really love the way we are able to give our characters so much more flair than in Oblivion. My hardened warriors always looked like they cane fresh from the beauty salon in Oblivion. With the new facial structures, the scars, dirt and face paint I can finally make the grimy looking types I like most.

Not really suprising, after all the XBox360 worshipping that Todd Howard has been doing. I bet it'll mean a nice christmas bonus to some Beth employees. But no biggie as we get the Creation Kit, which is worth so much more than getting a DLC 30 days earlier! :jellytime:

Thats kind of annoying. We all know the hardcore fans are on PC, yet the console players are getting the exclusivity, and its not a few days, its a whole month. Feels like a betrayal. I understand the market is bigger on consoles and that those kiddies with their joysticks need to feel special and all, but without the PC community, Oblivion would've lasted 2 years and the Skyrim hype would be less than half of what it is. We're the ones keeping the game alive for years until the next chapter, and yet, all of a sudden, we are not the customers that matters the most anymore.

It hurts a little.

Question. Will there be content exclusive to PC to try to bring console players to our side? I have serious doubts about that, and the Creative Kit doesnt count.

Keep in mind, too, that business is business, and the decision I'm sure came down to profit. You can't fault them for that any more than you can fault a cat for killing a mouse - the cat is just being a cat, and Bethesda is just being a business.

Which isn't to say that they don't value their PC customers - do consider that they're giving us the SDK on day one, and sticking with the NIF format, which means that our CS gurus and resource genies alike can jump right in. Are you all not foaming at the mouth to start modding in a new environment? How can that plus the actual playing of the game not keep you happy as clams for a mere month? I've been at it for three years with Oblivion, and I'm still not done, and I know some of you aren't either!

Keep in mind, too, that business is business, and the decision I'm sure came down to profit. You can't fault them for that any more than you can fault a cat for killing a mouse - the cat is just being a cat, and Bethesda is just being a business.

Which isn't to say that they don't value their PC customers - do consider that they're giving us the SDK on day one, and sticking with the NIF format, which means that our CS gurus and resource genies alike can jump right in. Are you all not foaming at the mouth to start modding in a new environment? How can that plus the actual playing of the game not keep you happy as clams for a mere month? I've been at it for three years with Oblivion, and I'm still not done, and I know some of you aren't either!

Well said, Khett!

We really shouldn't forget that most sales will come from the Xbox360 and the PS3 and that the people that play exclusively on PC are very much a minority. I have friends that couldn't give a rats butt about modding and played Oblivion on console. And no, these aren't mindless teenage consolejunkies. Most people just like to put in the disc, hang in their comfy couch and play the game on their big flatscreen.

In other news, Bethesda continues their trend of nuking things that aren't broken because they

A: Make the game harder than a cakewalk OR

B: Provide the player with some form of negative feedback, because we are apparently too shallow to be told anything other than how great we are all the time

In this case, the culprit is equipment degradation, which Bethesda has no excuse whatsoever to remove. All that was wrong here was all the clicking needed to repair your gear, but instead of consolidating and streamlining (as in properly, Bethesda has a very poor definition of "streamlining" that they use), Bethesda is once again stripping.

I can really find nothing positive about this change. And I'm getting sick of how Bethesda are so content to remain ignorant of problem features and make no attempt to try to salvage them and make them better. If something doesn't work, it gets nuked, even if no one ever found any issue with it. I've never seen a single complaint about equipment degradation for Oblivion.

All in all, another golden immersion opportunity that Bethesda has decided it wants nothing of. It could have served as an immersion aid, a money sink, and a balancing mechanic. Instead, it's gone.

(By the way, this is all part of my scheme to deliberately keep my expectations for the game low so that the chances of me being disappointed are minimal.)

Edited by ThomasKaira