DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Random Randomness

vometia

I figured we needed a catch-all topic for random and silly observations and anecdotes. The idea was largely motivated after spotting this random topic involving cheesy revenge; one of the respondents noted that the proprietors in question are very much like Trinny and Susannah, which will no doubt give it some extra entertainment value for UK-based forumites. :lol:

Realism? Traditionally, fantasy daggers are more like paring knives whereas "shortswords" are probably closer to a dagger in size, or a real-world dagger is at least somewhere in between; whereas a "longsword" is just a sword. I'm quite glad to see it go, personally: that sort of random thing ends up bothering me far more than it should!

Just a point, during the roman era daggers were 7 to 12 inches long, however a dagger is less defined by size and more by its characteristics, which is a short stabbing weapon. It does not mean that it has to be only so big, its more the use of the weapon then anything.

Shortswords, used heavily prior to the creation of the first "longswords" were usually around the 25 inch size.

The daggers in Skyrim seem to be well balanced to be honest when it comes to size.

Thanks for the clarification: I've always been more interested in swords than daggers, the latter of which have only vaguely caught my perception as "small sharp things". :lol: From what I can tell, the closest real life things to shortswords are the likes of the Roman gladius, but as you say, they tended to precede "longswords" rather than being contemporary with them.

I just found a dungeon boss, one Mr Sild, earlier today. Anyone who's a fan of Harry Hill should find this very entertaining! Anyone who isn't a fan of Harry Hill... er, well, he had a meme going on where he'd keep interjecting on the subject of sild. Sild is a small fish and is often tinned, like sardines; the main difference is that sild doesn't actually taste of anything.

• 2 weeks later...

It was popular enough that it spawned US versons of them... that are just as bad LOL... and I did not even notice that until you pointed it out and the sad part is I have seen the show... many times...

Just as bad that sounds terrible. I know Hells Kitchen and Dragons Den spawned US versions but Trinny and Sussanah is really scraping the barrel. LOL

If its on British TV, the US WILL make a US version of the show. It's almost assured!

Once in a while they also rip off ideas from Canadian TV as well LOL.

In game I have found a few easter eggs but I still have not found the Star Wars reference that is supposed to be in there.

From what I read, its a skeletal hand in some cave, with a glowing sword below it. I have never seen said reference myself as the reference was using a "this Companion Quest" but failed to note that its a radiant quest and the location changes randomly.

Edit:

They updated since I was there:

â– Inside of Bleakcoast Cave (Eastern Winterhold) there is a skeleton hanging upside down from the ceiling. Below the skeleton is a glowing sword. This makes reference to Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back when Luke Skywalker was caught on Hoth and hung from the cavern ceiling. The sword below representing his lightsaber.

ref: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Easter_Eggs_(Skyrim)

Edited by Si-Shen

I actually find Trinnie and Susannah quite entertaining, even if I'm not entirely convinced that their rudeness is put on for the camera! Not so fond of Gordon Ramsay, though: Keith Floyd was always a more entertaining bad-tempered chef.

I don't think I've had any entertaining mis-hearings so far, but then again I often don't realise I've misheard something beyond perhaps thinking "that was a bit odd" until ages later!