DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Icons: Sketched or Realistic?

Lanceor

9 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see in a mod?

• Sketched
    • Realistic
    • Something else

Icons in Oblivion have a "sketched" quality to them, which is rather noticeable. Users would be able to very easily pick out modded icons that did not do something similar. For seamless integration of items into the game, this should probably be imitated as best as possible.

They also have a soft, yellowish (239 231 173 RGB or #EFE7AD) glow around the image.

Would you prefer the above, or a nice, colourful screenshot of the item (cleaned up with transparency of course)? Or something else altogether like a symbol?

• 1 month later...

I voted for Sketched. I like the way that Oblivion's icons are styled, what they look like. If you're going to include a "realistic" option, then, in my opinion, it takes the user out of the visual look. It breaks the fourth wall in-game, and it should not do that. Everything, even a mod, should be as seamless as possible, and that includes icons.

However, if there is a realistic icon overhaul, which changes all basegame icons to be of the realistic style, then a realistic mod icon would fit the style, and be fine. But a mod just added to basegame should blend seamlessly into basegame. If I installed a large number of mods and brought in someone who has only seen screenshots, they should not be able to tell that there are any mods installed.

I think I prefer sketched ones, but Nifskope crops are just fine too really. If the colors are super bright (particularly reds and sometimes greens), you might consider lowering the saturation a bit and/or lightening the image, and that will help them blend a bit better without doing a ton of work.