DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Utter Noob Question #1: Mods

Sonoshi

I'm new to modding, but for the most part I've had little trouble figuring things out. It's pretty straight forward.

What I don't get is when I install mods that have to do with objects such as bathtowels, premade-clutter and the like it does not show up in the creation kit. I know adding these is possible because I've seen released mods with the content in question. I've double checked to see if the mods were in fact installed (I used NMM to unzip and install). Should I remove them and install manually? Or am I somehow missing something entirely?

If you are adding static objects, you can drag/drop the meshes from your data folder into the Statics list in the object window. Same with objects like soap that have havoc, except you would drop them under MiscItems. But for some things, like weapons that have specific stats that need to be set, there's no shortcut. Modding in general is often manual and time consuming. ;)

• Upvote 1

Whatever resource you download has an existing folder structure, which means if you place the meshes and textures folders in your data folder, the textures are already applied to the meshes, so in that case, yes once they are in place, you could just drag the meshes (not textures) from the data folder, into the section on the object window where they go. Static things that don't move go in statics, havocked things like soap go under MiscItems, furniture would go under furniture.

Furniture should be added manually so you can set the stats correctly, including which markers you want it to use. The marker data is stored in the mesh itself, the CK will let you choose which markers you want from those stored in it.

If you changed the folder structure of the resource, say added the folders to Data\Meshes\MyCoolMod the texture paths will be broken and will need to be manually reset in Nifskope before using the drag/drop method above to render properly.

Somethings in modding are straightforward, other things are not, and it seems like there are gaps in your skill set that may cause you issues down the road. I'd recommend the CK Basics course here which will get you working confidently in the CK and understanding how things work together a little better. You don't have to participate in the course, you can study independently if you like, but taking the time to get the basics down will save you some headaches, cart before the horse and all. :good:

CK Basics Course: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4655-introduction-creation-kit-basics/

Even if you think you're level is higher than the course, you never know what tips and tricks you might pick up from someone else. :)

• Upvote 2