DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

CS Basics: Lesson #4

DarkRider

Hello, Hanaisse -- 

I've uploaded my screenshots for the Lesson 4 homework here, with adjusted lighting (the basement is the same as in the Lesson 3 pictures;  I liked it that that), outdoor pathgridding, the Credit Challenge Aquatic Garden (using all the required pieces), and the clean-up in Gecko.

Please let me know if there's anything I need to add or fix.  Or explain :question:   :laugh:

Thanks again for your time -- I appreciate it very much!   Cheers, Bess

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, Hanaisse --

Just wondering if I may go on to the Final yet or if there's anything you think I should do/change in my Lesson 4 work?  The link to the screenshots in my gallery is in the post I made on 19 January.  I'm looking forward to continuing.

Thanks!  Cheers -- Bess

Such a beautiful garden! I would sit on the porch and look at it all day. :lol:

Since interior lighting is subjective, as long as you like it, it's fine. It just so happens to look nice to me too. I have a question about the exterior pathing though. What happened to all the orange nodes? I see them in the under the house picture but not your overview? I hope you didn't replace all the existing paths? That's not necessary.

The clean up looks good.

All in all you've been an excellent student, Bess! :thumbup:  One step closer to graduating. Carry on to the final exam. :)

Thank you so much, Hana!  I put out a table and a couple of chairs just for you (there's more mead inside  :pints: )

I added a couple of screens of my path-grids -- vanilla and in my mod.  Yes, I did remove some of the generated nodes -- a few under the deck and near walls, and I disconnected others that ran through obstacles and moved others so as to lead the pathing around them.  If I were doing it now, I see some I'd merely move, rather than delete altogether.  That's something I'll look at more closely from here on.  But I must say, it gave me quite a thrill the first time I had the necromancer from next door finally use my pathing to cross my bridge with her summoned skeleton and chase me all over my deck and garden, and into the house & cellar!

On to the Final!  I'm going for the release option;  I'll post in that thread when I have something to show.  This has been (is still being) a wonderful experience -- thank you again very much for the opportunity.

• 1 year later...

I just finished this lesson and I'm ready to move on to the final exam (I think).

Here are my results:

Note: most of the exterior screenshots were taken at night with the purpose of showcasing the lighting in-game, but only exteriors since I didn't change anything from the interior cells for this lesson.

For lesson number three, we were required to build some place for the player's horse on the surface of the platform and I chose to use a farm stable static object with a modified scale property to fit within those limits. However, as I was playtesting, I found out that the horse wouldn't fit through the openings while the player and other NPCs would. Since then, I added this horse feeder thing (on the right) to still cover the previous lesson requirement. In the end, I kept the stables but re-proposed them with container crates and some furniture because I like how it all fits together.

Anyway, I chose to use TES4Edit instead of TES4Gecko for cleaning purposes since the latter has not been updated for some years now. I think I managed to achieve the same thing with this tool, although I'm not entirely sure, that's why I also included a screenshot of the resulting ESP in TES4Edit after cleaning.

EDIT

I forgot to add that I did test my pathing and placement of havok-enabled objects. The first by having a monster follow me through both exterior and interior cells. And the second by interacting with the books and making adjustments to ensure they don't explode the moment they were manipulated by the player.

EDIT 2

I've included a new picture of the ESP view after cleaning with TES4Gecko.

Edited by ASnakeNeverDies
Adding extra information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my homework for lesson 4, had to claim another cell to fix a landscape tear but was expecting that, the back corner if the platform was pretty close to the cell border. Think I may give up on the grass in my path, been over it multiple times with no grass textures at 100 opacity and I still have a couple stragglers, guess sometimes nature wins. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d18dnx4erpcj2ki/AABCjydb8VnWGoXr3gx-5PN_a?dl=0

• 1 month later...

There is no homework for this lesson? Only the credit challenge?

Well, I'll post my own homework then! :D

1) Interior lighting:

Spoiler

CK view, day:

LightingCKDay.thumb.JPG.a452ebb3a5922198

CK view, night:

LightingCKNight.thumb.JPG.fd5473c36a262b

In game views, day:

20160415115849_1.thumb.jpg.d01d54581642f

20160415115908_1.thumb.jpg.df37cb18a4696

20160415115923_1.thumb.jpg.0e0791662f9a0

In game views, night:

20160415120153_1.thumb.jpg.be6b9135d0f69

20160415120204_1.thumb.jpg.a8c93e0927497

20160415120213_1.thumb.jpg.eae216e0c6036

2) Pathgrid:

Spoiler

Under the house:

PathgridUnderHouse.thumb.JPG.0556761a16d

Modified and new pathgrid:

5710c31c5c6ca_NewModifiedPathgrid01.thum

5710c330e1abc_NewModifiedPathgrid02.thum

5710c356d0723_NewModifiedPathgrid03.thum

5710c38858b96_NewModifiedPathgrid04.thum

5710c39993c94_NewModifiedPathgrid05.thum

Edited by ladyonthemoon

I would suggest you go back and do the Extra Credit challenges (still optional) to get used to different things then off to the Final Exam! You can follow the continuation of building in that area or do your own thing. I'm sure you'll do great whatever you choose!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hanaisse said:

I would suggest you go back and do the Extra Credit challenges (still optional) to get used to different things then off to the Final Exam! You can follow the continuation of building in that area or do your own thing. I'm sure you'll do great whatever you choose!

I'm going to skip the credit challenges, due to my days having only 24 hours and being very much cluttered already. ;)

My final project is well advanced;; I could easily add a garden and a basement to it. I had already planned to add a basement anyway.

How is that?

Edited by ladyonthemoon

• 3 months later...

Hi Hanaisse!  I haven't heard anything back about my redone lesson 3 so please let me know if there is anything there you need me to fix!  FYI, lighting has been a challenge for me from the beginning - it is one of my biggest challenges for modding Skyrim.  I tried with the main level to go with a more natural light look here; but I'm afraid it is, as usual, too bright.  Any suggestions you might have are welcome.

I did my best with Gecko; as far as I can tell my interior is ok, there were a number of errors in the exterior worldspace but I think I fixed everything appropriately.  As mentioned, please let me know if I need to change/fix anything.  Thank you :)

EDIT:  I took a second look at lighting when I had some time today.  Updated pictures here: http://myalbum.com/album/wp3Bw4wW0CD0

2016-08-08 (1).png

2016-08-09 (5).png

2016-08-09 (10).png

2016-08-09 (7).png

TESConstructionSet 2016-08-08 10-21-30-11.jpg

Edited by dolphin66th
New Images posted. See them here:  http://myalbum.com/album/wp3Bw4wW0CD0

• 8 months later...

Given some of my issues the first go-around, I re-did  the tutorial series from scratch.  As I had already posted and received credit for the lesson work, I took a few liberties with the use of modder resources.  You can find my updated work here, if anyone wants to take a look.  Personally, I'm much happier with the house now. :)

btw, ignore the L. K. Garith, it's my handle for NaNoWriMo and I didn't bother trying to figure out how to change it with Blogger.  It was just an easy way to post some pics.  Feel free to ignore my rambling; I won't be offended ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...