DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Past Lesson #2 Homework Submissions

darkstone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Felicitations: I have finished CS Basic #2. I know you are expecting links to my gallery screens. They would be here if I knew how to do it. I am trying to find someone to show me how. About the lesson - I did not know about duplication. What a tremendous timesaver. I didn't know T for top - view. I didn't know pathing, and am so happy to finally understand container naming and new form creation. I have made 6 or 7 mods (re-decorates) with uncustomized containers. I have been seeing errors in OBMM, but read the Wiki that explained how OBMM sees duplicates between mods as errors, when they really aren't. Still, I don't want red words in there. Will I have to toss them, or can I go back and delete the chests and barrels and replace them with custom containers ? Also, can I make a custom chest, crate, and barrel and use it in multiple mods ? Or will they disappear when I open the CS next time ? Anyway - back to the lesson. The second custom chest contains a Greater SoulGem filled greater. Can't show it to you, tho' lol. Endtable has 2 rings and an amulet (clothing). Extra book is Sancre Tor. Bottle of wine is Tamika Best. Dishcandle is fake with common light (yellow256) above it. Food by fireplace and crystal ball on shelf. Never set a door before - will it havok any? Hard to judge it's placement. All apparatus is Apprentice. Sure get tired of almost all of it in - game being novice! Deer head is static. Once again, sorry for the lack of links. But I learned a LOT from the lesson.

Hi Nevyn, glad you are learning so much :)

I have sent you a PM to walk you through linking in a forum post, I even added pictures. ;)

Will I have to toss them, or can I go back and delete the chests and barrels and replace them with custom containers ?

You will have to clean them out of your mods using TES4 Gecko (we cover how in Lesson #4). Those are dirty edits, once you clean them out though, you can add in custom containers where they used to be. :)

Also, can I make a custom chest, crate, and barrel and use it in multiple mods ?

No. In general you can't use an object from one .esp in another .esp without some extra work involving mod de-isolation or mastering. It's a lot of trouble, much easier to just make a new custom container for each mod. ;)

Never set a door before - will it havok any?

No, doors are static. Rotate your camera around and zoom in from multiple angle to make sure it's n the right spot. :)

Everything looks great except your pathing. The nodes are placed rather sporadically and the connections are almost random. There appear to be a couple nodes with no connections. Have a look at the example again and try to make your pathing more uniform like a grid. Repost new pathing pics and please wait to earn your points before you move ahead. :P

This is a beginners class and no one here has treated you with any sort of elitist attitude. I sent you a how to on linking and haven't even had a chance to respond to your efforts. if linking continued to elude you I was going to continue just going to your album for your homework and allow you to omit links. The absence of links did not impact your grades in any way.

The only thing you need to learn to continue here is to be patient with yourself. I hope you will reconsider such a rash decision to leave over something so meaningless. You were doing very well with the classwork, you should continue.

Still a bit off. You don't want to place pathing haphazardly, you want to create a sort of grid as it gives NPCs the most non redundant choices for where to walk and where to stand. Ideally, you want to start with a square of four nodes link them to form a square and then link the cross corners to fill the square with an X like this example:

Sample01.jpg

Then you can add two more nodes, box them in, cross the new corners.

Sample02.jpg

When moving around objects like furniture, place your nodes close to the furniture markers (blue people markers on the furniture) and link them in a tidy trail. Try to think geometrically, like squares and triangles in a grid, like grid paper.

Sample03.jpg

When pathing, it's sometimes helpful to think of it like plotting and laying train tracks. Imagine the nodes are train stations, the yellow rays that connect the stations are tracks, and NPCs are the trains. The nodes tell the trains where it's safe to stop, they follow the tracks. You want options in the tracks so you can divert trains when another train comes through so they don't crash (so NPCs can walk around each other and the player). It's not effective to have stations scattered about and tracks stretched and bent and kind of tossed around with only one way to go in most spots, you'll cause a wreck that way. :)

The front section of your room is fairly bare, so you should be able to make a perfect grid through there and just trail some track up and around the furniture. Have another go, this is a common stumbling block for new modders; the light will click for you and it will suddenly make sense so don't give up. :pints:

Finished Class 2 with homework and extra credit, it seems I'm having trouble with missing meshes for the wine, I've tried FormID Finder but it wont work for me and I have know idea why it should work. You can see the wine in the SS taken i the CS, I use a different Data folder for playing Oblivion.

SS can be seen here just use the back button to see all of them. You can also see where I had some trouble with the plates but got it sorted, it was a bit of a suprise when I saw that in game.

You're off to a great start Cheeka. Your pathing needs a bit of work yet you seem to have many duplicate nodes and it appears some may be floating on top of others. You'll need to thin out extra nodes before you can move forward. Have another go and post a new screenshot. ;)

Using different installs for building and testing may give you some oddities. You'll want to use the same data folder for testing as you did building. :unsure: