DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

The Lurker's Lair #32

InsanitySorrow

We had a great lightning storm here the other day you would have loved HY, the light show was spectacular, it was night so it was made even better. At times the trees across the field lit up like it was day time! My bro and I stood outside on the porch watching it for about 30 or 40 min.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a great lightning storm here the other day you would have loved HY, the light show was spectacular, it was night so it was made even better. At times the trees across the field lit up like it was day time! My bro and I stood outside on the porch watching it for about 30 or 40 min.

When I was driving home from a 'late night' once upon a time, where I was at, the sky was clear, but, ahead of me, you could SEE the storm front moving thru. There was CONSTANT lightning all across the horizon, and I had serious doubts about driving into it. As I approached the 'storm zone', there were emergency vehicles positioned in various places, on "Tornado Watch"..... They found a couple too. :yes:

That was one FEROCIOUS storm. I sat on my back porch, and watched it roll thru. Not like I was going to be able to sleep thru the artillery duel of lightning and thunder. It was AWESOME! (and I was scared spitless on occasion. ;)

Oh those big ones are just great to watch and listen too, we had one a while ago, I recall the crack of the thunder well because it was so close, hit a pine tree that had been about 20 feet tall, its now half that, we found a piece of wood that was about 4 feet long in the ground, only a foot of it sticking out. Sometiems I wish more big storms would hit here lol

Edit: I just saw this link and thought I would share, truely butt kicking no?

http://kotaku.com/5652876/this-is-not-a-mass-effect-2-screenshot-its-something-better/gallery/#

Impressive video indeed!

On the costumes, I dont have the skill or time to dedicate to anything like that, I wish I did, I hear the 501st has some stuff set up that if you want to join, they help you learn how to make your costume or something like that... so long as you have the $1000 or so it costs to make a Stormtrooper uniform :lol:

Interrupting your regularly scheduled discussion to bring you my random linguistic observations.

Aleut is freaking awesome. For one thing, it has polythynthetic derivational morphology... which basically means 'really long words.' For example: Ting adaluusanaaÄiiÄutamasuxÌ‚takuxÌ‚, which translates to "perhaps he tried to fool me again" (literally: me lie-toward-try.to-again-perhaps-PERFECTIVE-PRESENT-3SG). Here is an audio recording of the pre-communal prayer, which shows off how unique it sounds, too.

The other thing that makes it cool is how completely unheard of it is. When to do you ever see the Aleut in popular media? I can't think of a single time. Its a pity, really, that there are so many fascinating cultures around the world which are unheard of and unused as fantasy inspirations while we (both as creators and consumers of media) continue to beat the dead horses of classical Rome, medieval Europe, etc.

There are less that 200 speakers of Aleut left in the world. So why can't we, as modders, try and salvage some of this social, historical, and linguistic history by incorporating it into our mods or taking inspiration from it? Next time you do some world building check out the smaller, more obscure cultures. Not only will you have a more creative and unique mod, you'll maybe help to spread the knowledge of just how diverse civilization is.

...I wasn't expecting it to turn into a moral rant. I do think its an important issue, however.

Well said Lady N. Some thoughtful thoughts indeed. I grew up in Alaska, and so I know about the Aleut. It's sad that as humans, we're becoming more homogenized and losing our individual cultures.

I like the idea of incorporating those languages into a mod, but it would be difficult to voice act, unless you had someone who could actually speak it.

:rolleyes: Can't help it. My dragons always come out more stylized and less realistically feasible. :rofl: and thank you! I have one I did ages ago, spent two weeks on the bloody scales. LOL Made me go cross eyed. I've never liked the head. :lmao: Some day I might even re-draw him and try to get it right.

KarDrag1.jpg

I thought one of the perks about the inexorable passage through adulthood was no spots. Well it's not true. Usually they target my nose, but I've just discovered an adventurous one: I wondered why I had a stiff neck, and it's a spot! I suppose it must be on top of a nerve or something. Begone foul spot, and all that.

Sigh.