DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Official TESA TESV Speculation and Info Thread

InsanitySorrow

So far, we have finishing moves, DRAGONZZZZZ!!!1eleventyone!1!one, crafting, barfights, carriages, Thu'um, and an engine update. That is everything completely new that we know about at this point.

Also, since there is an equipment improvement system in Skyrim, it shouldn't be too hard for our crack modding teams to deconstruct it so it can do the same thing in reverse. There is still hope. :simba:

Edited by ThomasKaira

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wear and tear of equipment in theory wouldn't be so hard to figure out, yes you can improve, so if the engine allows(maybe they need a SSE(Skyrim Script Extender) that on hit or whatever the gear will wear down until broken or fixed. Now as for the other bits like dragons and the like, given if things for my semester this year works out well.. I might be able to get some stuff going especially weapons/armor.

The idea that they're keeping nif's means mesh imports from so many incredible modders will be probably very quickly done. Which means we could see incredible things coming to life in ways we haven't seen before. The fact that we get the devkit makes me happy in that I'll be able to look at it play around and figure stuff out. Now the downside in things I see is this.

1 Consoles are the big thing and pc gamers are not that huge of a market until you get into modding then that's where we take over. Now my big problem was that the ps3 got absolutely shafted with dlc. I'd love to have gotten spell tomes, and the new homes and such. All we got was Shivering Isles and kotn. And.. a very broken vamp cure quest.(ugh)

2. Xbox favoritism is more of a business thing now, microsoft has tons of money to toss in and say "we want exclusive rights" and there's the money.

With everything aside in some form or another. PC gamers get the best deal. WE keep the game going for a long period of time, and could find a means so we could get future tes games in such ways that magazines will take even more notice and pc gaming and game quality may shift towards better games to try to get on the ball. It's really sad when someone who does this for free with cheap/free tools can make something infinitely better than paid professionals.

More info from the NerdTrek

- previously you were done with an area of play once you become a Guildmaster, but in Skyrim you will be able to continue with specific guild gameplay after becoming the head of a guild.

- you start off only able to summon ONE. Eventually you WILL be able summon up to TWO Atronachs or Reanimated Zombies though.

- you will be able to explore and interact with an underwater environment. There are “fish and stuff†you can find. There are ingredients to collect and although the underwater section is a small part of the game, you can knock your self out exploring if you like.

- pickpocketing is serious business this time around

- smithing: you can create and improve every armor in the game

- soundtrack? cross your fingers!

- Why did they remove spell-making? Because… The team worked really hard on creating unique spells. The magic system has been completely revamped and MUCH improved. They want us to focus on our immersion into the world of Skyrim. Matt is confident that you will have a great time using magic in this game.

- There are hundreds of people that you CAN marry, if they want to marry you.

- no bananas... so sad.

It's really sad when someone who does this for free with cheap/free tools can make something infinitely better than paid professionals.

-or-

It's really awesome that people with infinite love and a little creativity who do this for free with cheap/free tools can make something infinitely better than paid professionals who are restricted with time and performance budgets and having to work within the confines of someone else's design conventions.

I mean, yeah! :P

It's really sad when someone who does this for free with cheap/free tools can make something infinitely better than paid professionals.

Very little of what is produced by the community is actually better than what Bethesda makes, and even that would not be possible had Beth not made the game first. The game improves by modding not so much because the quality of the actual content goes up, but because it is tailored to the player. Modders can do what they do because they aren't restricted by deadlines, money, a design document, hardware, etc. And, lastly, lets give Beth (who work hard on Skyrim, whether we end up liking the game or not) half the respect we demand be given to modders. They are people too.

-or-

It's really awesome that people with infinite love and a little creativity who do this for free with cheap/free tools can make something infinitely better than paid professionals who are restricted with time and performance budgets and having to work within the confines of someone else's design conventions.

I mean, yeah! :P

This, so much.

Thank you, Khetty-Pie, for providing a common sense antidote to all the whining, complaining, and general Eeyore-ism we see, oh...everywhere else. You rock.

So I'm an Eeyore? I like that! XDFrom here on out, I shall take the role of Mr. Grouchy-About-Skyrim! Because obviously Bethesda can't do anything right! :wicket:

Taking it rather personally, eh? That's your choice. :D

I wouldn't be this candid if we weren't friendly, Vou, but your words here disappoint me. For someone who purports to be interested in a career in game design, you show a distinct lack of understanding of the mundane realities of game creation as a business, and a distinct lack of simple respect for the developers of a game you've been modding (while using tools they provided freely) for months. Pride is one thing, hubris is another.

Very little of what is produced by the community is actually better than what Bethesda makes, and even that would not be possible had Beth not made the game first. The game improves by modding not so much because the quality of the actual content goes up, but because it is tailored to the player. Modders can do what they do because they aren't restricted by deadlines, money, a design document, hardware, etc. And, lastly, lets give Beth (who work hard on Skyrim, whether we end up liking the game or not) half the respect we demand be given to modders. They are people too.

Quoted for truth, every single word.

From PAX 2011:

- There are bounty hunters, meaning someone can put a price on your head, and that you better watch your back, cause they'll be coming for you.

- Falmers or snow elves...

From G4TV:

So I went straight up to the first chicken I found in the town and slashed at it with my battle axe. That chicken stood absolutely no chance. I then saw a little boy in the town and took my axe to him as well. The dev told me that you aren't allowed to kill children in Skyrim, but that they would alert the townspeople that I'm a maniac, which is exactly what he did. I ran around the town killing dogs and cows before the townspeople finally came after me with pitchforks and axes of their own. But let's be serious, they're no match for a Dragonborn.

With my fire spells in my left hand and my trusty axe in my right I made quick work of the two townsfolk who tried to teach me a lesson. It's what happened next that basically had me in stitches. After killing the townspeople, I looted their bodies, and when you loot people in Skyrim, you actually take all of their belongings, clothes included. I took everything from these two, including all of their clothes, trinkets, and weapons, and then noticed that I had killed them by the same stream I had been wading my way through earlier. The developer told me that if I wanted to drag them in to the water I could, so you can guess what happened next.

That's right! I dragged the two townsfolk in to the stream and away they floated. The developer let me know that if I had stayed with them that they would have kept floating for a very long time, fallen over waterfalls, and more. I would have loved to see this in action, but I knew there were dragons to slay, so I went on my way. However, this left me wondering what would have happened if those townsfolk would have given me quests had I not killed them. Would there quests now be given to me by others, or did I forgo them forever? It's a question I didn't get any answers to, and for that I'm sorry.

The first bold part doesn't surprise me at all. IN fact, I would have been immensely surprised if that hadn't been the case; how many games do allow you to kill children? Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I know it's just a game but still...

The second bold part, now THAT surprises me :D I really consider that to be pretty awesome. It's also given me a sneaky idea for loot carrying- just use a nearby corpse as a float alongside chest! (Unless you can't store things in corpses any more).

when you loot people in Skyrim, you actually take all of their belongings
If this means what I'm assuming it means, it could prove problematic. If I'm wading through a dungeonful of bandits, I don't want to have to stop to filter their useless possessions out of my inventory :/

• 2 weeks later...

Such "legendary" status could be reached now only because of quests... If there will be many choices and real consequences of those, and interesting non generic quest lines with some turns and twists - then who knows? Otherwise from things that have been shown, it only looks more like Oblivion 2.0 so far ;p

From Official Xbox Magazine

Necromancy

Players indulging in the Necromantic arts will be able to resurrect chickens and harvest their eggs. When the player is fighting against NPC opponents proficient in Necromancy, they can resurrect their fallen allies to support them in battle—making them primary targets in any large fight.

Combat AI

Enemies who see their allies fall will recognize the player's strength and flee from battle if they see no hope of winning. There is an instance where bandits roll a boulder at the player from an overhanging bridge. It's an example of how environmental interaction in Skyrim is vastly improved over its predecessors.

Leveling Up

Leveling up is less of an automated process, allowing you to define your character as you see fit. Whenever you level up, you gain 10 points to distribute among health, magicka, or stamina.

Horses and Theft

Stolen horses will run away from the player when dismounted. Furthermore, a town guard will halt the player at the gate of a town and make you pay for the horse you stole earlier. Spriggans (a monster type) can heal themselves even after you think they're dead, when they curl into a fetal position. Giant mudcrabs make a return in Skyrim. Attack its weak point for massive damage.

As seen on Elderscroll.net from the Tokyo Game Show (click thumbnail to enlarge)

japan-01-s.jpg japan-02-s.jpg japan-03-s.jpg japan-04-s.jpg japan-05-s.jpg japan-06-s.jpg japan-07-s.jpg japan-08-s.jpg japan-09-s.jpg japan-10-s.jpg japan-11-s.jpg japan-12-s.jpg japan-13-s.jpg japan-14-s.jpg japan-15-s.jpg japan-16-s.jpg japan-17-s.jpg

Based on this quote from OXM:

" I decided to find the Thieves Guild, which the locals said was in the Ratways beneath Riften. I found my way down to the river that runs though it`s streets and into the labyrinth of tunnels, and was immediately mugged. Luckily, my fire and lightning spells frazzled the thieves, and on one of their bodies I found the Gloves of Pugilism, which dishes +15 to unarmed attack damage. They were incredible. Every other thug in the Ratways went down to two or three blows, mostly finished off by horrific neck-breaking special moves. When i found the Thieves Guild, they didn`t want me. My time was up anyway, so i put my gloves back on and punched their leader in the face."

It appears that indeed Unarmed weapons (or at least gloves and gauntlets that improve your Unarmed damage) and hand-to-hand finishers will be finding their way into the game.

Good news for the Monk fans out there. :D

Edited by ThomasKaira

An abridged version of the recent PC Gamer article on Skyrim PC.

Test system specs:

Core i7-980X

6GB RAM

GTX 470 @ 1680x1050

7,200RPM drive

PC UI

• F is default key bound to "favorite" an item
  • There is apparently a sub-menu called favorites that opens when he does this (PC only?)
  • Send potions, spells, armor to favorites menu, then keybind those to the number keys
  • Autosave game intervals from 5-15 minutes

Sound

• With 5.1 the sound was amazing
  • Dynamic music system. It doesn't just play all the time like Oblivion. It'll sleep for a bit, and then you do something important and it'll ramp-up

Graphical

• Trees and wildlife look near photorealistic
  • Rocks and vegetation poke up through crystalized earth with little aliasing
  • Entering caves/dungeons takes seconds on a 7,200RPM drive
  • Performance is impressive on an old build

Gameplay

• Female Nord with broken nose and jagged scars and war paint
  • Attempted to ignore the main path
  • Saw courier coming up the path, decides to kill him
  • Wanted to use dual-Flame, but since it's the first perk he couldn't use it
  • Without the perk there are two separate streams of fire that drains his mana completely
  • Draining all mana with a dual-Flame attack did not kill the courier (must be higher level)
  • Switched to longsword and iron axe, held both mouse buttons down to execute the fleeing courier with scissor-like finishing move
  • "You can also do a quick attack with both hands if you hold both buttons down and have enough stamina to do what we call a 'blender move'" - Todd Howard "Looks really cool in 3rd person too."
  • Heavy armor and sprinting resulted in a really fast empty stamina bar. Todd told him light armor or robes would help with that.
  • Stumbles on a pack of wolves attacking a dog
  • He equips longsword plus a shield he found from the dead courier above
  • Shield bashes and sword swings feel wonderful combined
  • While he's attacking the wolves one or two of them begin to flank him
  • By saving the dog from this attack he is able to have him as a companion! The dog had been following him, so he was curious and attempted to talk to him and the companion menu popped up. He could not use the dog to carry items though.
  • Possible Companion options:

1. Go attack guard
  2. Go open this door
  3. Go look in that
  4. Go steal this thing

• They won't always do what you ask due to their AI (e.g. asking a Priest to steal items)
  • Finds a crafting station in an abandoned camp. It's an animal hide stretched out between wooden rods. This one could be used to make leather strips.
  • Creatures generally get harder as you get higher into the mountains
  • He kills more wolves. Once dead his dog sniffs around their corpses
  • Enters a cave and can tell someone is there. Goes into sneak mode and his dog also sneaks! (or attempts to anyway)
  • Your companion can be detected through stealth, but you can succeed, and only they will be attacked
  • Cave is inhabited by vampires
  • Stealth bow shot at 10x damage does not take the first vampire down. He shouts panicked to his vampire buddy, but PC was still in stealth. Second arrow takes him down. But now 2nd vampire spots him. Vampire casts drain life and PC is afflicted with vampire disease. Needs to find a cure or turn into vampire.
  • "This is not where I expected you to be." - Todd
  • He attempts to jump down the mountain which results in two deaths.
  • Runs into a traveling pack of Monks, the Vigilants of Stendarr, and they heal him of the vampirism.
  • Travels to Falkreath and "harasses a local bard, operates a saw mill, stabs an insulting gate guard, attempts to steal a cache of magical staves (has to reload after getting clubbed to death for that one), attends a graveside service, sells loot, pisses off the town Arl and then heads to a pub."

Screenshots

• Most of them are the same things we've seen before. But the main article image is a PC in a brown robe dual-wielding a Flame spell and a dagger. He's torching a saber-tooth tiger. The tiger is a yellowish-brown, bearing its teeth, on its hind legs about to pounce the PC. It is large, the size of a bear, and a bit shaggy. Hard to see everything due to the flame spell that has enveloped it. It's hind legs are on fire. Lots of detail in the face though, teeth, gums, etc.
  • The one with the chick's boobs.
  • Orc wielding a 2H axe or mace. PC is dual-wielding fire and sword.
  • The one with the PC wielding the bound bow and attacking the bear.
  • Nord/Breton/Imperial in hooded robe dual casting Flame at the camera.
  • Fly-over of skyrim from trailer, but looks like a dragon or two flying around.
  • Almost all of the review characters from before are scattered throughout the article
  • A female in iron armor (Dovahkiin helmet) dual-wielding flame/sword against an orc
  • Lockpicking in action. Just like FO3, but with Skyrim art style
  • A picture of the map chronicling the player's exploits:

1. Pick up dog companion and name him Shaggy
  2. Sees "aurora borealis"; stunningly gorgeous
  3. Shaggy and I spend 10 minutes chasing a deer. It escapes
  4. Stumble across high-level cave; infected with vampirism
  5. Mudcrabs! Slaughter one needlessly
  6. Kick back in a pub

Extras

They apparently designed the "level up during combat" on purpose:

When you level up your health, stamina and magic all go to maximum. So what you start learning to do is, 'Well, I'm gonna wait till the middle of a fight when I'm low, then I'm gonna level up.' It acts like a super potion." - Todd Howard

Edited by ThomasKaira