DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Two Lives Question (Need input from everyone)

JulianSull

So, I'm working on my theme for my next mod and I want this ending to be really powerful so I need some input. All you have to do is answer this question:

Which of these two lives would you rather?

In one life you are completely free. Basic necessities are taken care of like food, water, shelter and transportation. For instance, you could take a plane to California, get a hotel and hang out on the beach. You get to take a few really good friends with you and basically live your life doing whatever you want. HOWEVER! You cannot follow your dreams. For example, let's say you always wanted to be an amazing guitar player. You pick up the guitar and it sounds awful no matter how much you practice. Did you want to own a company? You'll never get to.

In the other life you follow your dreams. If you always wanted to be a dancer, you'll be the best dancer who ever lived. If you wanted to own a company, you'll outsell Google. HOWEVER! You'll have very very little free time. You're personal connections will be much weaker and you will be stressed constantly. But remember, every dream you have will come true in that way (Career wise).

So, which life would you rather have and why? A meaningless, purposeless life of infinite fun or a purposeful, stressful life of dreams coming true?

Input is really appreciated =)

Is it? I'm just playing devil's advocate here but imagine the first life. You can go anywhere you want and the people you are with fit you absolutely perfectly. You go on long road trips, visit beautiful places and get to experience all of those wonders of the world you never thought you'd see. Sure you're not rich in a monetary sense, but you are in a social and exploration sense. Doesn't that outweigh the need for work?

Julian

The latter. There's absolutely no point in living the first.

"Well-being and happiness never appeared to me as an absolute aim. I am even inclined to compare such moral aims to the ambitions of a pig", said Albert Einstein and made an excellent point. Human existence is about more than just living, eating and mating, and it takes more than that to make a human being complete. Only an animal would ever be happy in the first example, and as JulianSull says, it's a recipe for depression.

Only if I were being forced to choose at the point of a gun would I decide on either of these two options. Neither one of them is properly balanced to maintain an healthy lifestyle and honestly I think in the end BOTH options would lead to wanting to fling myself off a cliff.

Money can't buy true happiness, as evidenced in Newsprint daily... But, all work and no play do make Jack a dull boy indeed.

So whilst inside I fully agree with Arthmoor (neither ending) and HeyYou (using a dream quite wisely); I would choose the latter and not the former based on my personal interpretation of the meaning and use of life. (The diatribe being far too long to do much more than summarize. Kindness freely granted is usually freely returned in kind.) I prefer to take my payment of life in smiles and love returned for my work efforts. I've not yet worked my fingers to the bone, died of starvation nor been exposed to the elements (for very long) and I don't think I'm ready for the loony bin yet. :lmao:

It really comes down to one things: What makes you happy?

Is it being free and enjoying more physical and social pleasures like friends and seeing the world? Or do you enjoy giving to humanity and pushing our race forward? I have to agree with Antiscamp completely. What use are you if you don't give anything and only take? And for me, I get pleasure from giving what I know how to do.

The way you postulate it: the first option, far and away.

It allows for volunteer and charity work. In my life I have been unemployed for various periods. During each I found great joy in working with community organizations—often putting in far more hours than ever in my workaday career.

I have never found the need for self aggrandizement nor needed the recognition or adulation that comes with the life in option two. Neither have I ever valued myself by my vocation or avocation.

No, all-in-all, option one would be perfect for me.