DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Order of the Scroll

Ysne58

This idea evolved from a shouty discussion between DollParts, donnato and myself. It has evolved to WIP status andDark Creations, which is a partner with TESA, has been kind enough to offer us a private forum.

Our little space is here.

From our general discussion thread:

Who are the Order of the Scroll?

What is the Cathedral of Erudition?

What ancient secrets does it hold?

Can you collect the necessary pieces of the puzzle from around Skyrim to successfully decipher the meaning of the scroll?

And the ebony fragment?

Will you turn the key that unlocks the door to the Cathedral, and it's secrets?

â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ â–ˆ

I'm experimenting with a progress bar, as suggested by DR.

Edited by Ysne58

I am also thinking of elements from previous games like...quests to recover swords (replicated and ported over) with certain...enchantments...Armor (also replicated)...books (which give clues) ...linked possibly to the final battle in OB...?...Dunno...just thinking out loud...

Red Mountain is a fantastic idea. Elves, mostly Dunmer though, are very much hated in Skyrim.

I want the Dunmer to be looked in a different brighter light, not the red-haze!!

Left over hardened, raw material from Red Mountain could be called Molta Stone and can be crafted into weapons and amor. Fragments of these pieces have been scattered and etched themselves into the lands and either 1) :2cents: Dunmer merchants from Morrowind have brought these pieces to Skyrim in order to do fair trade, or 2) :read: Dunmer paleontologists have brought these materials to not merge cultures with the Nords, but help them embrace it and use them for their own good uses.

I'll be happy to craft ores, ingots and the items that come with it. :woohoo:

something like that . . . :cookie4u:

What I've picked up from game play that might set background.

From the main quest -- Blades are pretty much gone -- Thalmor are hunting Delphine and the scholar. Not all Aldmeri approve of the Thalmor.

I haven't seen anything yet about the Ancestor Moths and the blind monks.

Morrowind seems to be a wasteland -- the idea of something like Molta Stone sounds neat to me.

This might sound an ignorant question, but, what exactly is The Order of The Scroll?

Is this something completely new you came up with during the shout conversation or is this something from a previous Elder Scrolls?

Not an ignorant question. Something completely new.

Okay, thank you.

Then to rephrase my question: who are the Order of The Scroll?

Is it a group attached to THE Elder Scrolls? Or is Scroll just a descriptive term?

To me, a scroll is very academic symbol. Knowledge, learning, and communication. I imagine old libraries, scholars and academics, broadsheets or secret missives, couriers, spies, and storytellers!

...a new quest line to bring in some "ancient" lore
From the ruins of the 3rd era... and possibly including elements from previous game quest lines

Is this a group from the Third Age or a new group looking back to the mysteries of the past? Are they fresh-faced archeologists digging up the past, ancient custodians protecting what has long been theirs or even a conflicted group containing both?

What sort of lore is important to them? Magicka, history, politics, religion? What do they do with what they own and what are their goals? Are they passive or active within the world?

Do they have a historical tie to a particular group, nation or faction? Do they operate in secret* or are they a common fire-side story?

*My preference would be an open and rather jolly group! Skyrim is already full of grim clandestine factions i.e: The Blades, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eloquate, these are very likely the salient points to be addressed. So...my thinking is this :

1..Yes, attached in some way to the actual Elder Scrolls

2..Steeped in ancient lore and academia. Taking into account "modern" developements

3..I`d say it`d have to be a relatively new group but..attached to the 3rd era somehow. Also...semi-ancient custodians...Player would be the "fresh faced" archeologist.

4..My thinking is that the aspects important to the "custodians" will be...History, Politics + Religion...steeped in magicka.

5..Very good question...sorry...:shrug:

These are just my thoughts meant to spur discussion...whaddaya think..? :D

I need to replay Lost Spires. I could easily see using some of the books from Lost Spires as part of a library based in whatever this mod would use as an HQ. I would want to check on permissions first before going much further than that. DR also has a book in his RST mod that would be perfect for this kind of library, and again, would need to double check on permissions before proceeding. I think we would want to add some of the lore from RST as well assuming, again that we would be able to get permission.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I could see this a successors to the Archaeology Guild from the Lost Spires mod,

More like Integration seeing as how the Lost Spires was pretty much a dungeon crawl with little, to no actual Elder Scrolls lore; but I know what you mean. ;)

It is something to remember however. Do you want a standard quest/dungeon crawl mod with some lore in it? or do you want a mod that actually involves the lore, learning, intrigue, etc. in the actual story and gameplay? The first one is pretty much what the Lost Spires did. Standard gameplay and story with a few attempts at being brainy and intriguing. While Integration did the 2nd having gameplay and story directly relate to the lore elements brought up and discussed.

first one is pretty easy because all you have to do is write a standard story, have standard gameplay and just replace a few words, phrases, themes. The Second one is a bit harder because instead of just talking about something vaguely you have to delve into it, make a study of it, make it fun for the player to delve into and figure out/solve it, and you have to do it justice.

Edited by Phoenix7

Ysne's Ideas from Idea Thread

• Where would we want to put the main library? I think putting it in Blackreach would be an interesting idea. The labyrinth might be another place. Or would we want a separate nonvanilla location?

• What do you think of the name Order of the Scroll for the mod?

• If we were going to put it on that mountain, I'd recommend an entrance partway up the mountain, instead of on top of it. I suspect too much happens quest wise to put it at the top of the mountain.

• Another possibility would be to have an entrance to it from the monastery.

I like the name Order of the Scroll a lot, but didn't want to commandeer it. I'd love to work with your ideas... if you're sure you want me on your project, that is. :P

I think even within the mountain could be an interesting idea. FO3/NV influence, I'll admit it.

I think mage portals from the major holds would be good. I also have been thinking about how to incorporate the dwemer and mythic dawn museums. Was thinking separate quests to transfer the contents of each to the museum and library would be great. (By persuasion, intimidation, theft, or any other means necessary...)

EDIT: And I guess we'll want to build a quest that works in the Tamriel Compendium collection too!

• There is no question. I think these ideas fit hand in glove with each other.

• Portals is a good idea, I'd think each one would need to be activated by a quest.

• It might not be a bad idea to make this modular ie. Vanilla books and artifacts = main expansion (yes this will be an expansion if everything gets included). Then do a separate mod for the Compendium, a separate one for the Dwemer museum, a separate one for the mythic dawn. Perhaps some sort of interlibrary agreement with Winterhold College?

• Regardless of who we get to help with this, this is a lot of work. Wonderful ideas! :thumbup:

• So, tentatively, entrance to main library will be a cave partway up the Throat of the World.

• Another possibility for the Dwemer collection and the Mythic Dawn collection might be to set them up as branches of the Library. If we want to be as compatible as possible, for people who would want to do this before doing certain quests, it might be better to leave them intact, maybe add on rooms to add stuff, such as daedric artifacts to the Mythic Dawn museum.

This has now progressed to WIP stage. Dark Creations, one of TESA's partners, is providing private forum space so that we can keep moving forward with this project. I will try to post about the current scope and goals later today.