DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

[WIPz] Mod Speculation thread.

WhoGuru

68 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do first?

• Play through the game vanilla first before adding mods.
    • Head straight for the mods like it's the night before Xmas and I've found Mom's stash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably try to work on a choice of Alternate Starting Locations along with Backgrounds the player can take at character creation, like I did for Oblivion. But that will depend on how the game actually starts.

I always loved the backgrounds in RPGs like Arcanum, Fallout 1-2 and Daggerfall. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually thinking about releasing mods as soon as possible. Because I've noticed that many ideas I had were really good, but there was just no way to beat the old bull in that modding area. And when the first overhaul mods come out, I'd like them to have to think about compatibility patches instead of me.

I guess that sounds a bit selfish, but it's not meant like that. For example, I'm thinking about a mod that adds classes back, in a very simplistic fashion. I think that if that idea catches on, then it might inspire some better modders to look in that direction, and maybe release their versions of this idea. And so when Sotobrastos' Skyrim Superfix comes out, it'll have to consider that many people have already grown accustomed to mods that change the gameplay in a fundamental aspect.

I always had the feeling that it got more and more difficult and tricky to get your mod into the game if it affected gameplay. Take Low Post's Lost Skills, for example, which will bring back Unarmord, Axe, Blunt, Short sword, Long sword, Enchanting and more. Does anyone even know about that mod here? It's still in development, but I fear it'll never become truly popular. If it had come out in 2006, it would have been huge instantly, but now the whole system has grown unflexible, and there's no way to fit Lost Skills into it without making major reconstructions, which simply won't happen at this stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice thread.

I will probably create a couple of small villages in remote areas of Skyrim to get acquainted with the new Creation Kit. Creating small villages was how I learned modding both Morrowind and Oblivion, so it's a good strategy to start with. It will teach me everything from creating interiors, exteriors, working with AI and a bit of dialogue perhaps. Then, after my villages, I will start working on The Big One.

Ah....I love topics like these! Where all of us can get together and discuss modding a game that has yet to be released. Some would call us crazy but as you all know it is because it is our passion for TES that keeps us dreaming!

I have a Modding Team that we call The ATOMIC Cafe and we are always being asked "How can you possibly be creating a mod when the game hasn't even come out yet?"

Because one thing that I have learned in my 11 years of working in the video game industry, you have to have a significant amount of time to do post production. This includes concept art, story, dialog...etc.

Dovahzaan (Dragon Shout). Is a game mod by The ATOMIC Cafe that is currently in pre-production.

The ATOMIC Cafe is a team of 30 (give or take) video game professionals that include artists, designers, sound engineers, writers and professional voice actors that are dedicated to making Great Mods for Great games.

We have people on the team that have worked and or are working, in the video game industry for such companies as Blizzard Entertainment, Double Helix Games, id Software, inXile Entertainment, LucasArts, EA Games, Activision, and even Bethesda Softworks. BUT, we are also dedicated Elder Scrolls fans that are combining our talents and experience in the video game industry to make a major add-on quest to TESV: SKYRIM based on the Lore of The Elder Scrolls.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope a group will remake Cyrodiil. It would be interesting to see how the province developed in 200 years. The city of Cropsford anyone? Water's Edge and Border Watch now the same village. A bigger Pell's Gate. Bleaker's Way would be a decent size. Brina Cross, Shardrock, Weatherleah, Brindle, Hackdirt, Applewatch, etc. There are tons of little place That couldve flourished or die and now be ruins. With no one on the throne, the counts could be in disputes or at war. Leyawiin could be blocking the water passage therefor cutting the supply line of the Imperial City. You would think that would effectively kill Bravil but with crime on the rise throughout the province, its the most prolific "economy" in the region...

After 200+ hours spent in Skyrim, it would be nice to come back for a vacation.

@Fearrabbit: Interesting point about making the overhauls take us little guys into account. I hadn't thought about that angle :P

@Meo: That sort of thing would be very cool to see. Not just with vanilla locations either but with mods that added stuff, to see how those placed grew up, or died off, or whatever.

I think one of the best possible things though would be if something like Onra's heightmaps or the TR maps gets done early in the life cycle rather than very late. Sets the stage that way. It all depends on how familiar feeling the CK ends up being.

There is one mod I already want for Skyrim. Something to change the font of the menus and messages XD I know, it's a small thing, but in all the demos I couldn't stop looking at the font- it might have looked good in Fallout perhaps, but it seems all wrong for a fantasy game. Of course, they might change it between now and the release, so fingers crossed :P

@Meo - according to that TES novel, there's a 'new' village near Pell's Gate built around closed Oblivion gate and Water's Edge has some kind of Legion fort/garrison. I'm interested to see how will the modding progress in Skyrim.

Although I predict lot of 'fix' mods at start. Like Bozo's Weighted Carrots Mod or something! :D

For me, Skyrim will be a chance to start clean with mods. I might port over Automagic Bags in some form or another for my own sake, but everything else I will leave to Oblivion.

I did have a semi-major quest mod outlined for Oblivion, but there is nothing really anchoring it to Cyrodiil, so I might take it up in Skyrim instead. It would give me something new-ish to do, and keep me away from making too many houses again. :lmao:

• 1 month later...

Well, I bet you can guess what I'm gonna do :P Yup, the Dark Spire will finally be realized! mwahaha!

But that aside, Skyrim looks great so far... it looks like it'll hold up pretty well on it's own even without mods. I'll probably play through once without them, unless there is something really annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two(maybe more) mods/projects in mine(which this means mammoth compared to others) but it depends on how large the skyrim's tools and engine and such will allow me to go.

1. Skyrim Version of Armantha- Bigger prettier(when I'm done with oblivion version that'll be hard to do.... maybe) and possibly get my claws into a full conversion. Which leads me to the other 2 project ideas.

2. Isle of the Black Dragon- Worldspace for dragon enthusiests.. may double as a quest for Skyrim itself.. You have the soul of a dragon.. perhaps slaying them isn't the only way to gain power. Perhaps greater powers outside of Nirn and the universe of tes have an interest in these dragons. We shall see.

3. Something to bring a lot of old time gamers a massive sense of nostalgia. This could be an even more massive scale than Meseogea(which is ungodly huge from what i understand anyway). Now here goes.

Dragon Warrior 1's Alefgard, the whole continent. This in theory shouldn't be too bad, if we can do Tamriel with oblivion, this should not be too difficult. HOWEVER, I could take this further. As if I go into Erdrick's saga and the world's involved, Dragon warrior 2 and 3 opens up a whole new dimention of massive worlds. 3's world of light consists of what ironically is not too disimilar to our own world's continent makeup. However it includes Alefgard, which means 2 worldspaces. If we go the route and add Dragon warrior 2... it triples alefgard's worldspace.. this could be easily handled.. unless skyrim provides ships to sale over sea.. then we have an issue.

Yes I have just lost my mind.

Perhaps you start on open cities, I think I might start looking at making the terrain look a little bit prettier. We shall see though however with the actual game maybe minimal work will be needed. I think for such a rugged wilderness, it'll have more areas of beauty, especially if much of it has not yet been explored or hadn't been touched in years... like say.. since the oblivion crisis.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to try and play through one time with no mods........but!!! ..... if the enchanted weapons have that colored membrane shader, it'll be time for mods. Also , I've been thinking about another mod that I wanted to do for oblivion , but never got a chance. I want to add alternative exits/entrances to cities for thief/assassin type characters. I'd like to add a manhole cover to each city( that doesn't already have a sewer system) that leads to a sewer system.....one part leading to a hard locked exit door. Another "need a key" door would lead into that cities dungeon or some such thing. Maybe sneak into the guard tower to get the key......then it's stealing time!!!

Well I've preorded xbox edition for the sole purpose of not being tempted :P Though If I get red rings shortly after, I will litterally explode with rage.

After that though I'm thinking of taking apart the spell system and having a look, and doing some fun things with necromancy and druids... like a war sort of thing. Note: Druids havn't been confirmed!!! I'm planning on adding them :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...