DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

New PC win10 questions

donnato

Ok so... I`m getting a new PC and am stuck with win10 ...  It has a 480GB  SSD primary and a 2TB HDD.

1. Can I still run my old games?

2. Can I install downloads (mods, games, and such) to my choice of drive partitions?

3. Ummm   what else should I know?  

4. Oh yeah...   will I be able to use the mod file backups I loaded onto an external from my win7 system?  

Edited by donnato

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same tricks as any other version of windows. :) Don't install games to the program files folders, and everything is good.

Also, do a search on 'reclaim windows 10'. It's a powershell script you run to turn off most of the telemetry that windows 10 comes with.

External drive will work just fine. :D

7 hours ago, donnato said:

Ok so... I`m getting a new PC and am stuck with win10 ...  It has a 480GB  SSD primary and a 2TB HDD.

1. Can I still run my old games?

2. Can I install downloads (mods, games, and such) to my choice of drive partitions?

3. Ummm   what else should I know?  

4. Oh yeah...   will I be able to use the mod file backups I loaded onto an external from my win7 system?  

1. Depend on how old they are...

2. Absolutely! You can have at least two different Steam directories on two external drives if you want, I don't see why Widows 10 would not allow that since it's a Steam feature. (I was doing that once but I eventually regrouped all my games on only one external drive.)

3. You'll have to "tame" your Windows so that it doesn't spy too much you. I'm sure @HeyYou can help you with that. ;)

4. Yes.

Once you can swallow the evil that W10 is.....spyware, and FORCEWARE, it exists to be a portal for you to use their goods, services, it is NOT for the user;  you are forced to serve them, since they are YOUR master.......

1.  I can help you with stopping updates, they will undo your choices and most of the time they are NOT necessary.

2.  You can do easy tricks to get back the choices they took from you.

3.  ALL games I played so far in W10 were designed to play on W7 and even XP!  Only a handful did not work, but there were tricks to fix that.

4.  Any games that don't work ....you can create a VIRTUAL environment and they will run.  I am not just saying that, I have done it.

5.  I still run Windows 3.1!  (I am restoring old games for my collection).  Some people collect butterflies or stamps, I collect and restore software.

6.  I always recommend ordering hardware and building the PC from scratch.  Thats just me I guess.

7.  Like it was stated above, STEAM allows you to install on different drives, but you wont get to specify what folders, just the DRIVE.

8.  I even uninstalled the built in crap that goes with w10, like the candy game and all apps they forced, you will find alot of them CAN'T be

uninstalled like the normal software.

Bottom line, it's manageable.   I recommend Win 7 for those that don't wan't to fuss over things,want to OWN their PC, have control, however I am guessing you want to get your money's worth and use what O.S. came with your P.C.

Edited by Ashenfire

3 hours ago, Ashenfire said:

Like it was stated above, STEAM allows you to install on different drives, but you wont get to specify what folders, just the DRIVE.

When you choose to install a game the first time, you'll get to choose where to install the Steam library. Then, if you want to install a game on another drive, you'll get to choose where to install a second version (lighter?) of Steam containing the usual directory ~/Steam/SteamApps/common where your game will be installed. Afterwards, if you choose one of those directories for your other games, they will be installed directly in the "common" folder, as usual.

I had Steam installed on the C drive once, in C:\Program Files; I could have chosen to install it in C:\Program Files/Mes Jeux if I had wanted to and Steam would have installed itself in "Mes Jeux". Then I chose to install other games on my H drive in "H:\Jouer\" and had no trouble at all selecting "Jouer" as the installation folder for the new Steam directory.

In short, you can have one, only one, Steam library on each of your drives. :)

Now, all my games are installed on the H drive.

9 hours ago, donnato said:

Well...PC came early so ... no more time ..   we`ll probably do the system build tomorrow.   Thank you all for the info. I`ll try to get back when I`m back online. 

You'll need to backup all your content; Windows 10 updates tend to delete stuff in your personal "Home". See here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/windows-10-october-update-deleted-my-projects-anyone-else.564847/#post-3754018

Oh yes. Bessie can be repaired but she`s going to needa lot of love. I need to replace the boot drive ( which means reinstalling the OS .... again.) , probably a new PSU , and cleaning and repasting the CPU cooling block.  Rhat and a good cleaning.

The new PC turns out to be a full MSI build which, I don`t really trust.

MSI makes some good stuff. Customer service is supposed to be good as well.

Microsoft pulled the latest update due to folks data being purged. Given this is a new machine, I would fire it up, get it going, have win 10 do all its current updates, and call it a day. After all, it can't delete what ain't there yet. :D

37 minutes ago, donnato said:

Woohoo...good to hear HY.   Interesting thing ... I found a reliable rebuildsr today for bessie  and as an after thought... I asked if he could just install my win7 on the new machine ... boom-done..?? 

Make sure the hardware on your new computer has Windows 7 compatible drivers first before removing Windows 10. :)

If you are running an intel system that is 7th gen or newer, there are no drivers for win 7, you are stuck with 10.

Much as I dislike win 10.... it actually works fairly well. Do a search on "reclaim windows 10", and you will find a power shell script you can run that will turn off most of the telemetry. (improves performance....) It turns off most of the 'phonehomeware' that MS put in windows 10. (like targeted advertising, etc.)

It does not completely remove phone home software....because the O.S.  IS the phone home software.

If your Reclaim search helps you but need more , let me know.  I can help supplement anything it didn't cover.

I designed a few programs to tone down the bullying and also you might want to install Ultimate Windows Tweaker from geek squad.

Edited by Ashenfire

4 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

How better is it compared to Windows 7? (Please, don't kill Santa... :cry:)

On my gaming PC, I am still running windows 7. :)

Support for 7 runs out pretty soon though, end of the month, I think. So, I might consider 'upgrading' at some point. But, as I have had automatic updates turned off since the whole 'get windows 10' (or ELSE) fiasco, don't think I am going to be in too much of a hurry for it. So long as the various browser folks still support 7, think I will stick with it.

Side Note: How does Microsoft define an "Upgrade"? Replacing software that doesn't work, with software that doesn't work, in a different way....... :D

Also, just because official support stops, it might not mean that it is all bad.  Look what happened when Battlefield 2142 could not log users into their system.

Within 2 years the programming community created an unofficial patch to allow users to still play certain games like that.  Maybe they will be nice to keep Win 7 going as well!

It doesn't seem like technology is going fast right now, so it doesn't seem like in two years that it will be 'over'.

Edited by Ashenfire

Hey Donnato....I was re reading our posts and I started wondering if my quote:

"Like it was stated above, STEAM allows you to install on different drives, but you wont get to specify what folders, just the DRIVE. "

Might have seemed snarky? 

It was meant in the tone that I was agreeing with another poster to add value to that comment and I hope it did not come across wrong.