DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

New PC win10 questions

donnato

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ladyonthemoon said:

Care to do some testing? Somebody on the Unity Technologies forums mentioned his computer having a test result of 145 on https://web.basemark.com/

I did the test for my computer and got 295.31. Now I have no idea what I must think about that if I cannot  compare with others' computers... ;)

Woah..... Ran the test on my machine.

AMD Phenom X4 965 Black @ 3.4ghz

8gb Ram

Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb video

Crucial MX500 SSD 250gb.

My rig scored 481.12 on that test.

34 minutes ago, HeyYou said:

Woah..... Ran the test on my machine.

AMD Phenom X4 965 Black @ 3.4ghz

8gb Ram

Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb video

Crucial MX500 SSD 250gb.

My rig scored 481.12 on that test.

Not surprising with 6 gB of vRam and a cpu @ 3.4 gHz! Mine just have 3gB of vRam and my 8 core cpu is only at ~2.6GHz... ;)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Thanks but... no. This rig is going back to the store ... too much wrong.  Instead, I found a skilled and reputable local comp. shop owner who loves building gaming rigs and has impecable creds to custom build a fig for me.  This time , I get to choose the components. I`ll Let you know what we spec out next week.

6 hours ago, donnato said:

Thanks but... no. This rig is going back to the store ... too much wrong.  Instead, I found a skilled and reputable local comp. shop owner who loves building gaming rigs and has impecable creds to custom build a fig for me.  This time , I get to choose the components. I`ll Let you know what we spec out next week.

Aw..., I hope you'll find one that suits you the best soon. :)

On 10/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, ladyonthemoon said:

Care to do some testing? Somebody on the Unity Technologies forums mentioned his computer having a test result of 145 on https://web.basemark.com/

I did the test for my computer and got 295.31. Now I have no idea what I must think about that if I cannot  compare with others' computers... ;)

Wow I ran that test and I got 515.42

AMD FX 8370 Black at 4.0 Ghz

16 Gigs RAM

ASUS R9 285 w/3 Gigs Vram

Samsung EVO 512 SSD

Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD

Edited by Arion

On 10/18/2018 at 7:00 AM, ladyonthemoon said:

I got 655.58 with my secondary computer. 

i5 4690K @3.5GHz, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 970 graphics card.

Now I wonder how my main computer will do...

10 hours ago, donnato said:

Ok, something else I hadn`t  really considered in my cost or need ... the OS.  Looks like I`m stuck with 10 .. soo... Home, or Pro...??   

Go with Pro. It supports more ram, and also has other features that may prove useful.

You won't find drivers for your MB for win 7.

I've seen pro, you have more abilitiies for managing your system; not to mention you can delay unwanted updates for a long time.  This gives you a bit more control

because you aren't nagged with unwanted spyware/updates/rearranging your computer for a long time.  You then can backup at your leisure, read up on the latest update

to know it won't kill your startup like it did with me several times.  You can then decide WHEN you update as opposed to being forced to at the MOST inconvenient times.

It seems to be useful for networking work stations as well.

It has a remote client ability.

It hase Hyper V (virtual environments).

Yes, it is supposed to be classified as a 'business' software and is generally more expensive.

What M.Soft doesn't advertise, is that the Win 10 Home is still free.  Well , that was the case for me a year ago.  I installed Win 7, found a broadcasting W10Home server, and did the upgrade for free.  It still could be an option.

If you have a valid win 7 license key, you can use it to activate a similar version of win 10. Fresh install is best, as the upgrade from 7 to 10 does not always go as planned. :) You can create installation media pretty easy. (we use 8 gb USB 3.0 flash drives.) Boot from the flash drive, feed it your win 7 license key when it asks, and it will install the correct version of win 10.

Ok, I thought win 10 home was limited to 32 gb Ram. Not the case. :) Up to 128 gb...... I don't see anyone needing more than that any time soon. :) (unless you want to have your games installed to a RamDrive. That could be fun. Always wanted to try that.)

That said, I have used win 7 drivers for some items under win 10. Not sure how well that would work for newer hardware though.

• 1 month later...

Ok...new PC is up with win10 and mostly configured. I installed Oblivion but there is no mesh folder in my Ob/Data directory...???   Any idea why??  I started a new game and all looked good through thec intro. When I hit the jail, I quicksved out hoping that would generate what was missing in my data folder... no soap..

Edited by donnato