DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

Oblivion Ideas Thread

InsanitySorrow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Names are not currently mixed, instead the names are just placed into arrays. I am thinking of a way of doing that for a later version. Though the names are based on race, so you get proper names for each race. Same with stats.

What's your current source ? For the names.

I'd really like an implementation that uses the Mersenne Twister algorithm :) Generating lore friendly names from seeds - woot !

What's your current source ? For the names.

I'd really like an implementation that uses the Mersenne Twister algorithm :) Generating lore friendly names from seeds - woot !

Names come from my head and from multiple books I have lying around, I have the game guide for OB which has a selection of names in there too, which of course I used.

Never heard of that algorithm before, whats it about?

Names come from my head and from multiple books I have lying around, I have the game guide for OB which has a selection of names in there too, which of course I used.

Never heard of that algorithm before, whats it about?

You made up those many names ? I'll paraphrase meself : You're superhuman :ahhh:

Wiki.

You made up those many names ? I'll paraphrase meself : You're superhuman :ahhh:

Wiki.

Roughly about half yes, but I did some reading up and some searching before hand. For some names I found fantasy name generators to cheat a little :D, but then its the only way to get more than whats found in the CS. See most name generators for TES use the names from OB and Morrowind, then they mix and match the names a bit, which can be done by randomly picking names from multiple arrays. I have something similar going on, but I had to expand past OB and MW, hence looking into other sources.

I started to read that and all I can say is WOW. Also if you want it done, you gotta do it :rofl:

Okay that app is pretty much done, so lets move onto other ideas :rofl:

My next idea and I know this has been done before is: A Character Generation App, something to help a user plan their characters before heading into the game.

Now the major difference with mine would be the fact I am trying to plan a way to add support for custom races, if this can be done then it would put the app a step ahead of the others and make it more useful.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

How about a tool for creating books/scrolls? Something that would make it easy to add lots of bold words, words with different colors, images, etc etc. Like an "Oblivion Text Editor" where you could fill out fields in a n app and have the text generated so it could then be copies into the CS. Doing this manually take forever.

How about a tool for creating books/scrolls? Something that would make it easy to add lots of bold words, words with different colors, images, etc etc. Like an "Oblivion Text Editor" where you could fill out fields in a n app and have the text generated so it could then be copies into the CS. Doing this manually take forever.

I think IS was already doing this for his OBTK app. Not sure how far he got with it yet...

My next idea, and I know this has been done before, is: A Character Generation App, something to help a user plan their characters before heading into the game.

Now the major difference with mine would be the fact I am trying to plan a way to add support for custom races, if this can be done then it would put the app a step ahead of the others and make it more useful.

Any ideas?

Well, the attribute and Skill bonuses of vanilla races can be programmed in easily enough. So perhaps your app needs a button for "New Custom Race" which will open a new menu that the user can fill out. Some thing like:

Race Name: Whatever

Base Attributes  Male  Female       Skill Bonuses              Specials

Str               X      Y             Skill    Amount         Greater        

Int               X      Y             Skill    Amount           &

Wil               X      Y             Skill    Amount         Lesser

Agi               X      Y             Skill    Amount         Powers

Spd               X      Y             Skill    Amount         here

End               X      Y             Skill    Amount

Luc               X      Y             Skill    Amount

Pers              X      Y             Skill    Amount

Then save this data under the new race for future reference. So, whatya think? Possible?

I think IS was already doing this for his OBTK app. Not sure how far he got with it yet...

This is good. :) Something we really need (and which may not be possible) is something that could work with the CS to auto generate pathgrids for Interior Cells. That would save A LOT of time. Any thoughts?

This is good. :) Something we really need (and which may not be possible) is something that could work with the CS to auto generate pathgrids for Interior Cells. That would save A LOT of time. Any thoughts?

I think that's hardcoded, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the kind of thing we can't really change. OBSE might one day figure it out, but I doubt it since no one else has ever altered anything on the CS's functionality.

Oh and btw, IS is working on that book editor now, so it might be done sometime in the near future.

I think that's hardcoded, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the kind of thing we can't really change. OBSE might one day figure it out, but I doubt it since no one else has ever altered anything on the CS's functionality.

I also believe it's hardcoded, but I was thinking about an app that would funtion alongside the CS instead of altering it's functionality. Basically, you would open the CS and load an interior cell, then load the PathGen app. Then you would select the .esp file you are working on from a menu/list in the PathGen app and then select the interior cell from another menu/list. PathGen would the "read" all of the Havoked objects in the selected cell and generate a pathgrid (and link it together) by simulating mouse clicks and movements. Some tweaking by the user afterwards would probably be necessary, but it would still be quicker than doing the whole thing manually. Again, it may not be possible to do this, but I'm not a programmer, so I gotta at least ask. :)

Oh and btw, IS is working on that book editor now, so it might be done sometime in the near future.

Sweet! :) Definite download when it's done. It would be very helpful with parts of my SOTA mod.

Book Editor:

This tool is well on its way, though I have been having issues with the HTML conversion. I had code in place for it but after closer inspection it was not exactly what's needed for Oblivion books, so I am having to recode that and its causing a few issues. Once that is fixed I can release the app :)

Path Gen:

I'm not 100% sure its possible, I have a feeling it is but will be extremely complex to program. The coder would need a detailed knowledge of the ESP format so it can be loaded, edited and then saved with the required changes. Not something I have experience in but I am interested in reading ESPs and Saving to them (So random NPC creates an actual NPC :)).

I really think I could use this tool IS.Let me know if you`re ready to test it.I`ll put a test story together. What kind of font choices will we have?Naturally there has to be a difference in "cover script" and "page script" "page headings" "titles" and so forth.Looks good so far,thanks IS.

I really think I could use this tool IS.Let me know if you`re ready to test it.I`ll put a test story together. What kind of font choices will we have?Naturally there has to be a difference in "cover script" and "page script" "page headings" "titles" and so forth.Looks good so far,thanks IS.

I'm willing to help test as well (I have XP).

Also, I'm not sure if this will help with the whole font thing but: FONTS

Font choices are based on the fonts installed on your machine :thumbup:, Gonna need more detail there Don, All I know is of people writing books for the inner part of the book, the outter part is a texture.

Ah,I understand, for a realistic page font I`d have to find and DL it first then I suppose the book gen.could "find",and use it.

I have an idea for a mod but I dont know if its possible nor do I have any idea what is involved if it is. :)

When you mouse over a food item or ingredient etc,is it possible to display it`s alchemical effect underneath its name? Obviously the effects displayed would have to relate to your Alchemy level ie,novice - 1 effect,apprentice - 2 effects and so on ?

Having just started an new char that is using alchemy I would find this extremely useful.