DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A gun for Fallout 3?

grond

Ok, kiddies. I don't even own FO3. But I've been working in Blender and to learn it somewhat, I decided to model a gun.

A shotgun. I saw a pic on the web of a shotgun called a Pancor Jackhammer, and, not having played FO3 ( or Farcry, for that matter ) I thought, "well now, I ain't never seen this gun. Maybe I'll make one."

JackWIP_02-1.jpg

So I went and started - I started twice, actually, and trashed both, after about 100 saves, because the way I went about modeling it was just wrong. Some time later, after I was completely resolved to make this gun, I saw 3 versions of this gun, one in both FO3 and Farcry, and another one or two at TurboSquid. Yet I persisted...and...

...here's the Third Try, commonly known as the charm:

Jackhammer_007.jpg

There are some bad spots ( such as the lower row of slots - they're too high ) , and I have no idea how to UV Unwrap, but I had no idea how to do anything in Blender 2+ weeks ago when I started this, so I expect to overcome unknown obstacles within another month's time ( anyone who knows of me understands how little that ETA means :blush: )...

Would anybody like to see this in their game?

edited the title for better advertising

The Pancor Jackhammer was in all the Fallout series EXCEPT Fallout 3. :blush:

That would be awesome if you made it for the game. Looks really good! I always loved that gun because it did great damage at close range.

Really!? I thought I saw a pic of FO3 weapons, and...oh well, must have been 2. Thanks, Will, I'll do my best to get it out and into your game someday :) .

Woweekazowee Grond...lookin` good bro. Yeah, UV unwrap gets me. Trying to figure where to cut on a complex shape takes some thinking,eh? I`d be tempted to DL even though I don`t have FO. Just way cool looking weapon and after seeing the vid, an effective one as well. :blush:

Woweekazowee Grond...lookin` good bro. Yeah, UV unwrap gets me. Trying to figure where to cut on a complex shape takes some thinking,eh? I`d be tempted to DL even though I don`t have FO. Just way cool looking weapon and after seeing the vid, an effective one as well. :pints:

Thanks Don, I like the Bullpup toughness of this gun :) One day I want to make a shotgun called the Roombuster. A sawed-off thing...

Yeah, how to unwrap, where to unwrap...it's trial by error I bet. Think I'll find tutorials on it. I'll probably do parts of the gun at a time. Dunno yet. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Thats really sweet :drool:, I would love to see this in FO3 even though I have not got it installed atm, but that can be easily changed :D

I have to buy the game! :poke: After I find out the best way to add in the details around the shell loading gizmo, I'll be in touch... :)

yay! Grond started Blending in! Great stuff, man! :pints:

I really should learn Blender as well, if only to stop poking people with my requests! :D

You should take a week or six and try your hand at it. :) I admit I needed a template to trace. But thank you! I figured a sword wouldn't have taught me as much, but once this baby is killing things in FO3, I'll try to blend some OB weapons.

I expect the biggest difficulties will come when I try to convert it ( or whatever the term is ) for FO3.

Thanks Don-o-mite. The drawing I mentioned was my first attempt. I used an empty mesh and traced the pic, then extruded that. But I was stymied by the prospect of rounding the squareness of the object I got from that, so I ditched it and did a regular old extrusion from a cube.

Jackhammer_009.jpg

I think I'm done. 15+ hours just doing the 'gizmo' between the butt and the trigger. I couldn't visualize the bottom of it from the sole pic I used. So I kinda made it up.

Jackhammer_010.jpg

I'm going to go inside the thing and clear out unnecessary verts next, while I consider textures, and demystify unwrapping.

Wow, I don't play FO3 much, but still, nice blender work Grond!

Thanks bro! I don't even own FO3...guess the time is coming for me to buy it... :yes: ...or just make a totally disruptive gun for OB. Really don't wanna do that. :rofl:

Ooooo, I likes the details :yes:. Texture wise I think similar to that one you looked at a while back but without the awful looking wood texture :yes:, Its purely upto you of course and I cannot wait to try it in-game, so hurry up :P:pints:

Oh, I'll be standing in the queue for your services soon, IS, if you're willing. Or, I...well, I'll just PM you. :)

Sure I am always willing to try :rofl:

Ok - I'll work on unwrapping it. Shouldn't be too long of a learning process. I read and watched a little yesterday, and, combined with investigating what Beth did with their UV maps, it's becoming a little easier to understand.

Ok - I'll work on unwrapping it. Shouldn't be too long of a learning process. I read and watched a little yesterday, and, combined with investigating what Beth did with their UV maps, it's becoming a little easier to understand.

While your doing that I will read up more on texturing, wanna try and give it a good one :rofl:

While your doing that I will read up more on texturing, wanna try and give it a good one :thumbup:

If you watch the video again, in my 2nd post, you'll see how it's got a nicked texture. It amazes me that that's a modded shotgun! That dinged-up look is what I want. I'll BOLO for that texture, as I try to mark seams correctly.

If you watch the video again, in my 2nd post, you'll see how it's got a nicked texture. It amazes me that that's a modded shotgun! That dinged-up look is what I want. I'll BOLO for that texture, as I try to mark seams correctly.

Yeah I noticed, gonna look again and also looking at images on the net. I was thinking of a scratched texture look too, without that it won't look as good I don't think.

Edit: Found a sweet pic of the Jackhammer from the Battlefield 2 game :thumbup:

jackhammer_large.jpg

Mine's better... :thumbup: No but yeah - that's a newer model. Very cool burnt tip, I don't much like the silver barrel. The shell cartridge gizmo looks like it can't come off. That's the thing that I wonder about. How to texture it so it looks removable, or does it matter? And those vent holes...they're painted on!!! Mine's better... :D

I found a free gun metal texture and applied it without Uv mapping. It made my gun coal black. First try. No good.

I wasn't comparing models :D, The main reason I posted it was to show the textures. Some parts are nice and others not so, like the barrel texture you mentioned. At least looking at that will give some ideas on how to proceed with yours, I really like the idea of having it scratched and damaged, makes it feel used :thumbup:

No I know, I had to compare 'em. :thumbup: I'd like a less green texture, there isn't much barrel showing on my model, so it could be silver, or bright gray, just for detail. I need to detail the trigger handle a bit more, I think. Anyway, thanks for taking an interest, IS!

No I know, I had to compare 'em. :D I'd like a less green texture, there isn't much barrel showing on my model, so it could be silver, or bright gray, just for detail. I need to detail the trigger handle a bit more, I think. Anyway, thanks for taking an interest, IS!

I think a dark grey barrel would look best, at least how I am imagining it now anyway. I will see if I can find some more good reference pics, need to try and cover all angles so we know how each bit would look, then we can put our own spin on it.

No need to thank me, you made something of interest :thumbup: