DOWNLOAD MODS

Are you looking for something shiny for your load order? We have many exclusive mods and resources you won't find anywhere else. Start your search now...

LEARN MODDING

Ready to try your hand at making your own mod creations? Visit the Enclave, the original ES/FO modding school, and learn the tricks of the trade from veteran modders...

JOIN THE ALLIANCE

Membership is free and registering unlocks image galleries, project hosting, live chat, unlimited downloads, & more...

A gun for Fallout 3?

grond

Yeah, I think yours is going to be wa cooler Grondo. The shell cylinder gizmo spins in the game right? Maybe make it as a seperate assembly,detail and tex it then merge it in. I figure it`d have to have a rotational animation, shouldn`t be too awfully hard just maybe tedious as all get out.Move it a fraction of a turn,shoot a frame,advance to the next,rotate a fraction, shoot a frame...wash rinse repeat. This is turning out to be a real learning tool,eh? Gonna be so cool.

Yeah, I think yours is going to be wa cooler Grondo. The shell cylinder gizmo spins in the game right? Maybe make it as a seperate assembly,detail and tex it then merge it in. I figure it`d have to have a rotational animation, shouldn`t be too awfully hard just maybe tedious as all get out.Move it a fraction of a turn,shoot a frame,advance to the next,rotate a fraction, shoot a frame...wash rinse repeat. This is turning out to be a real learning tool,eh? Gonna be so cool.

Thanks! O Don, I don't think it'll spin. :thumbup: That's boggling my mind just imagining redoing the assembly as a separate object. Not to mention the horror of trying to animate it!

I have a mind to have the assembly replaced with a glowing or silver colored 'gizmo' when it's full, and then going to dark when it's empty. I can't imagine doing it as you've described, though it would be very very cool. That means of course that an ammo cartridge is going to have to be made! :D

On close inspection of the pic you posted IS, I realized I goofed the zigzag doohickey on the shell cartridge gizmo ( that's correct, right Don? :D ). I had it recessed where it should have been extruding out. So I redid that this morning.

Jackhammer_013.jpg

I have to fix the barrel edges to prepare for seams. I started this morning but then forgot to save, so I get to re-redo them tomorrow!

On close inspection of the pic you posted IS, I realized I goofed the zigzag doohickey on the shell cartridge gizmo ( that's correct, right Don? :rofl: ). I had it recessed where it should have been extruding out. So I redid that this morning.

Jackhammer_013.jpg

I have to fix the barrel edges to prepare for seams. I started this morning but then forgot to save, so I get to re-redo them tomorrow!

Oh yeah that`s the stuff right there Grondo.Sorry to hear about your save isue,:rofl:I`ve learned these lessons too many times to count :drool: I know how intimidating the animating of the shell "gizmo" would be,even for a slowly rotating,single axis device.I was just thinking out loud. The unwrap makes much more sense now,very nice. Step by step, eh?

:)

Well the unwrapping has hit a wall - like this one - :)- no matter what I try, the top of the gun unwraps in a microscopic corkscrew. Tiny dwindling to tinier. It's weird. I'll keep trying and hopefully I'll have something to paint before Halloween. :drool::rofl:

Well the unwrapping has hit a wall - like this one - :)- no matter what I try, the top of the gun unwraps in a microscopic corkscrew. Tiny dwindling to tinier. It's weird. I'll keep trying and hopefully I'll have something to paint before Halloween. :drool::rofl:

Yikes,sorry to hear that Grond, that sure is wierd and probably confusilating as well.Wish I had an idea of how this happened,have you posted in the blender newbies about this?

I think it's because of poorly placed seams. I haven't asked anywhere else because, as it was with the Construction Set for me, with Blender I want to find the answer on my own, and it takes forever, but I learn a lot of other things in the process.

I'll keep you updated...

I think it's because of poorly placed seams. I haven't asked anywhere else because, as it was with the Construction Set for me, with Blender I want to find the answer on my own, and it takes forever, but I learn a lot of other things in the process.

I'll keep you updated...

I certainly understand that Grondo,I do the same. I`ll be standing by. Oh yeah, the seam issue is what I first thought of but I figured you were already all over that. :)

I was all over the seams, then the model got complicated. :):D

The past two days I've been trying different things, and watching tutorials. Nothing has helped. So I went into the model ( and inside it would make a nice airliner interior! ) and began destroying and merging verts. I hope it'll make the model simpler, and at the least I'm seeing where it's messy ( mostly where I let the program add faces automatically ). I'm trimming verts from the 36 vents in the barrel, and I've found that the trigger handle isn't truly centered with the rest of the weapon! So I want to fix that - dunno how I didn't see it til now. :D

I tried the 'project from view' option in the Unwrap menu, and it gave me a nice picture of the whole gun, and only a couple of places stretched the test grid when I applied it. I think I might try to do that after I clean up these vents. Trouble there is that the whole thing is one map, so it's got to be drawn huge for painting. It's always something... :)

W I P texture, again before unwrapping, as a break from rebuilding:

Jack016.jpg

I inverted the dark scratches of a metal texture in Gimp and applied it to the whole model. I darkened the model's base material and did an overlay for the texture ( just for practice - I don't think it needs it ) and mapped the texture to both the color ( with the 'overlay', to combine both Mat and Tex ) and the normals. The overlay meant that the scratches would come out the color of the material, I think...at least, that's what seems to be happening. :crybaby:

It almost looks great, but there are parts like the nose that look too much like the skin on my forehead. :P Too leathery. Also, I wonder - should it be maybe a bit more shiny? And if it should, what color should reflect? It seems bland right now, but coloring the specular it makes it look, well, fake, and shiny makes it seem as if it just came off the assembly line.

Thoughts?

Meanwhile, I'm in the process of redesigning yet more of the model. I found another picture of the gun and found that holy moley, the handle/sight on top isn't solid. Maybe after redoing it to be flat and open, it'll unwrap happily.

I think I might be ready to try Vince's tutorial. I failed miserably the first time I tried it. :poke:

More to come. :no:

First let me state that I am just now starting to learn blender, I can get it started up and move an object around, but it looks pretty good to me so far. Sort of reminds me of some of the stuff that was in that old game Doom. That is a good thing. :crybaby: I do not know to what level of realism you wish to work to but something to remember on the finish is that shiny in combat is a no-no. I look forward to seeing your final product.

Holy Crap!! Just noticed this. It looks AMAZING for a first model Grond!aa_clap.gif UVMapping is always a pain, and it's what I had the most trouble with when I started. I'll try to find out how similar the Blender version of it is to max, in theory the same concepts should apply and I might be able to offer some helpfull tips. You may want to take out the 90 Degre corners on the grip and round it a little more. Draw's the eye as the rest of the model looks so detailed. Very, very nice all the same. Glad to see another modeller on the rise.thumbup.gif

And for pitties sake people it's a magazine not a thingy. wallbash.gif You're goint to make my head explode. tongue.gif

WT

Nottlong, thanks for the reminder to "safety matte" the reflectivity/coloring. That's a name I just made up I think. I wants me realism. :)

Thanks Wind. I just softened the angles at the bottom of the handle. It looks better now. :thumbup:

Working on the vents continues...back to it now!